KTM Parts

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/22/2010 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 1:46pm
Where is a good place to buy OEM engine parts for KTM's?
|
ccooper
3/22/2010 8:08pm
i've always used motosport.com great staff and excellent shipping.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/22/2010 8:31pm
I found a few things there. Mostly Gaskets, good deal on Camshaft and valves. I couldn't find what I was needing. Basically top end stuff. Piston, Rings, Wrist pin, circlips and Gasket kit. I might buy a hotcam from there. I'm really just needing the waterpump impeller and bearings clip and seals that go with it for camshaft stuff. Timing chain connector link. Might just get timing chain and gears if I could find a kit.
I'm working on a basket case for a friend that some jackass just tore through. 2002 400 SX.

Any other places? Does AJ at service Honda carry any KTM engine parts?
ccooper
3/22/2010 8:34pm
o sorry i got a kawi so they pretty much got everything i need. iam not sure about service honda but i will look to see what i can find. i'll post it when i do.
jdub347
3/22/2010 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2010 8:36pm
I found a few things there. Mostly Gaskets, good deal on Camshaft and valves. I couldn't find what I was needing. Basically top end stuff. Piston...
I found a few things there. Mostly Gaskets, good deal on Camshaft and valves. I couldn't find what I was needing. Basically top end stuff. Piston, Rings, Wrist pin, circlips and Gasket kit. I might buy a hotcam from there. I'm really just needing the waterpump impeller and bearings clip and seals that go with it for camshaft stuff. Timing chain connector link. Might just get timing chain and gears if I could find a kit.
I'm working on a basket case for a friend that some jackass just tore through. 2002 400 SX.

Any other places? Does AJ at service Honda carry any KTM engine parts?
I lucked out on E-bay on a new cylinder for my 250 SX-F. Got a brand new one for like $230 shipped. Saved me some dough on ordering one elsewhere. There are usually a fair amount of KTM stuff on there.

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/22/2010 9:12pm
OK heres what we got. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I never worked on a KTM before and I really don't know much about the bike other than it is suposed to be pretty bullet proof bike.
My buddy is a 4 wheeler rider but wanted a bike to ride around with his son on his 85. He has a business and had a guy that owed him some money. Guy said he had this bike 2002 KTM 400 SX. I guess it is kind of a rare bike being that it is an SX. The guy owing money is 3hrs away and my buddy had a driver in the area pick it up. I guess the workers in the shop found out the guy was getting rid of the bike and spent an afternoon thrashing it before it got picked up.
It was a nice looking bike when he got it but wouldn't fire up. My friend decided to just take it to the local KTM dealer and have it serviced and see what they thought might keep it from running. The KTM dealer really shit on him. They tore it apart and it came back with the engine strung out in a basket without even telling him they were tearing it down. Wanted $2500 to put it back together. Just to give an idea of how bad these guys tore this thing down, they cut the PC TI 4 Pipe in two behind the header with a sawsall instead of taking it apart.

One of our other friends had a friend that he said would look at it. The guy basically said that it didn't look to bad and just needed put back together. It came back in 3 boxes.

Well it sat around for a year and we were shooting the shit and I told him I'd see what we could do with it. Its been drifting farther and farther into the corner and closer to the trash bin. Its to nice a bike for that so I grabbed it and took it to the shop.

What I found was that the plastic water pump impeller had set back from the pin it turns on and was spun on the camshaft. I even found the clip that holds it on in the radiator. There is evidence there that it over heated on the water side, but internal nothing looks to be wrong. The motor actually looks pretty new inside.

I figured I'd change the cam, water pump impeller and all the bearings and seals on that.
leave the valves and valve seals and all that alone until we can see if we can get it to run.

Rering the piston as they took two of the rings off for who knows why. They left the oil scrapper ring on it. I'm not changing the piston to see if we can get it to run. Piston is $360.00.

They took the timing chain apart and there is no connecting link on it. The timing chain, gears, guides all look good. So I don't really want to change them until we see if we can get it running.

I tore into the bottom without splitting cases just to look it over. The clutch basket has no wear what so ever. The engine really looks good and not really wore out.

My concerns is that I wasn't the one that looked the bike over when he got it. I don't know why it wouldn't start. If it did over heat I really don't know what it would have done to not run. Cylinder is fine, bottom end seems fine, valves look fine without getting to involved with tearing them apart because the head looks fine. The only thing I see is the water impeller but I don't think that would have kept it from running or at least firing. Other words if it heated up and took something out to make it not run I can't pinpoint a culprit.

There are parts missing and like I said, I have never messed with a KTM. The hotstart or auto decompression also rides in the same place as the water pump impeller. That might be the tell there. I'm waiting on a service manual to get here so maybe I can track some more stuff down. I did download one from a suggestion from here last week but it was for an LC4 motor. It answered a few questions but I need the regular manual for the motor.

One question I do have is the stator. The stator was soaked in oil. I can't see how the stator could work in an oil bath but there really isn't any seals or anything that is noticeable protecting it from oil with the the bottom timing chain gear right behind it. Do they run in oil? There crank tappers off where the stator goes with threads on the end of it but I don't know if maybe this is one of the things that was missing. What ever might go on the threads on the crank.

I don't know. It was stupid to try but nobody is out anything. My buddy and the guy that owed him money is square and all that. It is just to nice a bike to not try and I have some free time for a couple weeks to see what I can do. The next stop for the bike was the trash can. It would be cool if my buddy could ride a bike with his kid a little as opposed to a 4 wheeler. The freaking kid can sure ride the hard pack but I don't think he know what a rut is. His Dad does a good job of smoothing them out before he can make one. lol

Sorry so long but I felt I owed a story of why I was working on a basket case KTM.

Also the KTM dealer is out of business. Them guys really sucked. My buddy wasn't the only one they done dumb shit like this too.

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/22/2010 9:14pm
Thanks guys. I'll check those places out.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
3/22/2010 10:18pm
If you haven't joined KTMtalk, do so. Loads of parts, helpful folks, etc.
neysbo
3/23/2010 4:18am
www.mikescyclektm,com

always 20% off if you have the part numbers when you order. They know there stuff to.

as mentioned above- get on ktmtalk.com
motofab36
3/23/2010 6:34am
If the water pump was bad and it got hot then it could hve blown the head gasket. Any chance the old head gasket is in one of the boxes?

Make sure its a OEM piston if you are buying OEM rings, they wont work on a Wiseco etc.

The stator does run in the oil, sounds like you just need the nut for the flywheel. Also make sure you have the key for the flywheel.

Probably cheapest to buy a complete gasket set.

ktmhutt.com has a pretty good parts fisch with part numbers and prices.

Why the hell would the CUT the pipe?
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
3/23/2010 7:46am
Yea the old head gasket is in the box. I can't see where it popped and their are no lines going toward any of the jackets but the metal ring that is next to the cylinder is all ate up, rusted, swelled and cracked. Almost like it isn't even there. I don't know if this is from being in the box for extended time or not. It is also all wadded up from stuff being stacked on it. That is the only place that looks like a blown head gasket, but it threw me off when it didn't extend farther toward any of the jackets and I don't see any bubbles on the gasket.

I do need to check on the piston. The piston on it has 3 rings and the fisch I seen online only had 2. It sure doesn't look like a wiseco but thanks for the heads up.

I have no idea why someone would take a saw to the pipe. It is like they took it to 6th grade shop class to take apart. I can't even come up with any thoughts of excuses other than mental illness. Thats is one more thing to do is check up on mig, tig or brazen wire that I can use on TI. Literally unbelievable.

I wrote down all these sites for reference and will go through them tonight. Thanks eveyone for the suggestions.
newmann
3/23/2010 11:27am
I ordered parts for my kids KTM144 from Munn Racing here in Texas. Everything was in stock and I had it in record time. I was beyond impressed.
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
3/23/2010 6:11pm
x2 on Munn Racing. KTM Hutt also has a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, my dealer has to order nearly everything I need.

Justin314
3/25/2010 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2010 1:58pm
Another plug for munn racing for oem parts. Great service. Ktmtalk members also get a discount. For aftermarket stuff, I try to use a local dealer.
Audie
3/26/2010 1:57am
Bud... go to KTMamerica.com. Those guys are amazing. They have every damn part on the planet for KTM's in the shop. The guy who owns it is great and really knows his stuff.

Post a reply to: KTM Parts

The Latest