KX 85 Set up for Florida

Edited Date/Time 6/22/2012 3:55pm
My son rides a 2011 KX 85. We recently rebuilt the top end and added a weiseco light weight pistona dn rings and a vortex triple stage reed and the motor is so much faster. But now we are having new problem, no traction in the florida sand and at 93lbs hes trippleing jumps and bottoming out the suspension.

Hes just getting into racing and my questions are:

What gearing should we run on the rear sprocket? (Still running stock)
What Tires are best for florida sand? (Still running stock)
Should we go with Stiffer Springs front and rear now that he apparently wants to jump everything in sight? (Still running stock)

Any recomendations would be great!
|
mxb2
6/22/2012 11:55am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2012 11:56am
Get the suspension set up for his weight, set sag, If you ride fast tracks use a smaller rear sprocket, If the tracks are tight go bigger on the rear. As for the tires sand tires usually have a wider knob space pattern, Pirelli, michelin make a great tire. look at their websites and you can pick a tire selection for your riding conditions. Good luck, keeo us posted.
Jakes Dad
6/22/2012 12:44pm
BR9eix plug with that ignition, and dial in ignition better for traction issues.

Shock 4.0, fork springs .29. Active Ride has been doing my KX 85/100 stuff for 5 years now and has it dialed in for aggressive riders (jumpers).

Tires most any sand tire works Dunlop MX 31's Michelin MS 2's are pretty popular down here.

Here's speaking from experience for suspension stuff.
At 10 years old.

Now at 14 years old.
6/22/2012 1:46pm
Jakes Dad wrote:
BR9eix plug with that ignition, and dial in ignition better for traction issues. Shock 4.0, fork springs .29. Active Ride has been doing my KX 85/100...
BR9eix plug with that ignition, and dial in ignition better for traction issues.

Shock 4.0, fork springs .29. Active Ride has been doing my KX 85/100 stuff for 5 years now and has it dialed in for aggressive riders (jumpers).

Tires most any sand tire works Dunlop MX 31's Michelin MS 2's are pretty popular down here.

Here's speaking from experience for suspension stuff.
At 10 years old.

Now at 14 years old.
SICK!!! What track is that? Ignition timing? Active ride does that too? Where are they located? Phone number?
Jakes Dad
6/22/2012 3:55pm
On the Vortex box the different settings are for the ignition curves. You need to change the settings to tame down the hit so it doesn't spin the tire so bad. Or you can retard the ignition setting on the stator plate, move the mark downward towards the minus mark.

The track 1st video isn't open anymore the 2nd is Area 51 outside of Brooksville.

Info for Active Ride http://active-ride.com/ They are in Spring Hill (West Central Fl.) He can turn around your stuff really quick this time of year. Tell Matt that Jake's Dad sent you, hopefully he won't charge you double!Wink

Post a reply to: KX 85 Set up for Florida

The Latest