16+ KX450F Flywheel Weight?

Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
Just wanted to see if anyone has feedback on flywheel weights for the 16+ KX450F. I'm a moto-only B-rider, but I feel like my bike stalls extremely easily during braking, or sometimes when lugging a high gear out of a corner in a low-traction situation.

I have the idle turned up pretty high to fight this, but I still stall more than I would like to admit!

I've never used a flywheel weight before, but I see steahly offers a bonded weight, where kawasaki offers an optional OEM bolt-on weight. I'm a little worried about gluing on a weight that can spin over 11k RPM, but the Kawi part (21007-0629) is almost $400.

Anyone have experience with either?
|
mxb2
8/22/2017 2:42pm
Jbulz wrote:
Just wanted to see if anyone has feedback on flywheel weights for the 16+ KX450F. I'm a moto-only B-rider, but I feel like my bike stalls...
Just wanted to see if anyone has feedback on flywheel weights for the 16+ KX450F. I'm a moto-only B-rider, but I feel like my bike stalls extremely easily during braking, or sometimes when lugging a high gear out of a corner in a low-traction situation.

I have the idle turned up pretty high to fight this, but I still stall more than I would like to admit!

I've never used a flywheel weight before, but I see steahly offers a bonded weight, where kawasaki offers an optional OEM bolt-on weight. I'm a little worried about gluing on a weight that can spin over 11k RPM, but the Kawi part (21007-0629) is almost $400.

A remapped ecu and good fuel will take off your problem, then you can turn idle down
Paw Paw
8/22/2017 5:36pm
Think Rekluse EXP.

Paw Paw
Acidreamer
8/23/2017 9:30am
Ive got a recluse in my kawi and its cool. Just wondering, do you pull your clutch when braking and feather it out of corners to keep the power on?
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/23/2017 10:08am
Acidreamer wrote:
Ive got a recluse in my kawi and its cool. Just wondering, do you pull your clutch when braking and feather it out of corners to...
Ive got a recluse in my kawi and its cool. Just wondering, do you pull your clutch when braking and feather it out of corners to keep the power on?
No, I ride clutch out when braking. I did a Gary Bailey school a few years ago and he was strict with enforcing this - it definitely makes a big improvement in braking power. By no means is my technique perfect, but I don't have this issue with my other bikes.

I slip the clutch a lot and keep the bike in the power in normal corners, but on slick hard pack when I'm searching for traction and am lugging the bike I tend to stall.

The Shop

Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/23/2017 10:11am
Jbulz wrote:
Just wanted to see if anyone has feedback on flywheel weights for the 16+ KX450F. I'm a moto-only B-rider, but I feel like my bike stalls...

mxb2 wrote:
A remapped ecu and good fuel will take off your problem, then you can turn idle down
I've considered remapping my ECU. I run the green coupler with an FMF 4.1 RCT system. It runs great in the mid/top but I can tell it is a little off near the bottom.

Did you upgrade to a GET or just remap the stock ECU?
mxb2
8/23/2017 10:25am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 10:25am
Jbulz wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
I've considered remapping my ECU. I run the green coupler with an FMF 4.1 RCT system. It runs great in the mid/top but I can tell...
I've considered remapping my ECU. I run the green coupler with an FMF 4.1 RCT system. It runs great in the mid/top but I can tell it is a little off near the bottom.

Did you upgrade to a GET or just remap the stock ECU?
Remapped 2 of mine, and. Put a vortex in the other. If you have the $$. Vortex. Or Get. Is the way to go. Plus you can resell the ECU also. Remap. Is really good also, compare $80 to $700. Ecu.
Acidreamer
8/23/2017 11:27am
Acidreamer wrote:
Ive got a recluse in my kawi and its cool. Just wondering, do you pull your clutch when braking and feather it out of corners to...
Jbulz wrote:
No, I ride clutch out when braking. I did a Gary Bailey school a few years ago and he was strict with enforcing this - it...
No, I ride clutch out when braking. I did a Gary Bailey school a few years ago and he was strict with enforcing this - it definitely makes a big improvement in braking power. By no means is my technique perfect, but I don't have this issue with my other bikes.

I slip the clutch a lot and keep the bike in the power in normal corners, but on slick hard pack when I'm searching for traction and am lugging the bike I tend to stall.
Im sure it does with the engine braking added in. But a flywheel weight isnt going to stop the engine from stalling if your rear wheel is locked up from braking or not being in the power enough to keep it from stalling.

I say try the weight and see if it helps. Just wanted to try saving the money if its a technique thing.

Post a reply to: 16+ KX450F Flywheel Weight?

The Latest