17 TC 125 cutting out

Dev_1leg
7/5/2019 10:57pm
Thought I’d keep y’all posted this is what I came up with🤷🏽‍♂️
Dev_1leg
7/11/2019 8:00pm
Switched to the kiehin, bike runs so good now had to turn the power valve all the way back out where it’s most fun, Nice kit from JD included well worth the switch for non head ache. Next thing to do is get the stic metering rod from what Iv read and watched it’s a very nice addition to a airstryker 🤟🏽
2stmark
7/13/2019 9:22pm
Dev_1leg wrote:
Switched to the kiehin, bike runs so good now had to turn the power valve all the way back out where it’s most fun, Nice kit...
Switched to the kiehin, bike runs so good now had to turn the power valve all the way back out where it’s most fun, Nice kit from JD included well worth the switch for non head ache. Next thing to do is get the stic metering rod from what Iv read and watched it’s a very nice addition to a airstryker 🤟🏽
very interested in the STIC for my 16 150sx , stk kehin
Dev_1leg
7/14/2019 8:15am
2stmark wrote:
very interested in the STIC for my 16 150sx , stk kehin
For sure bro, I’ll let you know on here! 🤟🏽

The Shop

digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/14/2019 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 4:54pm
I just worked on an 18' TC 125 on Friday. I set it up her OEM Mikuni carb, with almost the exact same specs I gave you. The inly thing I did different I did, was use a 27.5 pilot, with the air screw at 1.25 out. The bike runs great, with no off idle hesitation or 3/4 throttle bog. I'm not sure what was up with your bike.

I also setup a 36mm Keihin PWK, that we ultimately deemed to be a better setup for the type of riding/racing she is doing. The keihin has better throttle response down low, and responds to smaller throttle input better than the Mikuni.

Either carb would work for riding/racing, but the Keihin just works a little better down low.
Tracktor
7/15/2019 11:14am
We just put an STIC from Harris Performance in our Keihin 38mm. My kid did before and after ride. Came back blown away. We had a ride day over weekend and all the boys were fighting over it. Best description - It feels like a two-stroke four stroke. The part was basically plug and play came with all jets and needle, etc..................
7/31/2019 12:13am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 7:05am
Dev_1leg wrote:
470 main 35 pilot clip 3 ran ok till it got colder with in 3 miles acted up did weird stuff, Did the Jarvis mods such...
470 main 35 pilot clip 3 ran ok till it got colder with in 3 miles acted up did weird stuff, Did the Jarvis mods such as crimped bent overflow notched the slide and dropped the clip to needle position 1 bike runs even more terrible I did pinch the gasket on the top of the carb in half so maybe that’s why 😡 I cut the slide and opened the hole on the slosh guard a size bigger changed the pilot to a 30 didn’t get to ride it because the pinched the gasket this issue is really making mad.. bike will stay running with the choke on but soon as I turn the choke off and touch the throttle it bogs but it sometimes will burst through the power band and then bog again. (Pic is your slide I just circled what I notched
digger wrote:
All you did there was make the pilot jet circuit more efficient, which in turn should make the bike idle better. It is critical that those...
All you did there was make the pilot jet circuit more efficient, which in turn should make the bike idle better. It is critical that those bike use a minimum of an S-4 needle jet along with a leaner 5.0 slide. The jetting for that bike in upstate NY should be right around. Some of the Jarvis mods are feel good mods and don't add anything useful, but don't hurt performance either.

Needle: 42-74 in the 3rd clip position

Pilot: 32.5 pilot, with an unnotched slide, and a 30 with a notched slide. I wouldn't be afraid to open up that notch on the slide you pictured above a little more.

Main: 490

S-4 jet needle jet---this is critical

Slide: #5 you can either cut yours or purchase one from JD jetting.

Set the air screw at 1.5 turns out to startout with.
Hi digger!
I have a sm 125 s (2010) and I bought a tmx 38 80 (from a tx300 2019). So now I have:
slide 5.75(? If I measured it right)
Pilot 25 ( I have in my pocket a 40, 45, 50) as I understand it, the bigger the cut the smaller the pilot jet should be used?
S-4 needle jet
Needle : 6BFY43-75 ( I have also: 6dey 15-74)
Main 450 (I have 470 as well)
1/8 to 1/4 feels lean
1/2 to 3/4 feels rich
3/4 to up after the power valve opens up I feel it lean.
Elevation 100m/335 feet
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/31/2019 7:21am
dasler358 wrote:
Hi digger! I have a sm 125 s (2010) and I bought a tmx 38 80 (from a tx300 2019). So now I have: slide 5.75(...
Hi digger!
I have a sm 125 s (2010) and I bought a tmx 38 80 (from a tx300 2019). So now I have:
slide 5.75(? If I measured it right)
Pilot 25 ( I have in my pocket a 40, 45, 50) as I understand it, the bigger the cut the smaller the pilot jet should be used?
S-4 needle jet
Needle : 6BFY43-75 ( I have also: 6dey 15-74)
Main 450 (I have 470 as well)
1/8 to 1/4 feels lean
1/2 to 3/4 feels rich
3/4 to up after the power valve opens up I feel it lean.
Elevation 100m/335 feet
From what I'm looking at, I would say you are mostly correct.

That 5.75 slide is lean for a 125, and when combined with the 25 pilot it will fell very lean. Especially with an un-notched slide. Yes, the larger the front side notch the richer it will make the engine, thus requiring a smaller pilot jet. The slide # is stamped into the top of the slide on the tab that sticks out, unless someone has cut the slide. I would recommend that you not run a slide leaner than a #5 in the small bore 125/150 bikes. With the richer slide and notched slide, I would expect you to be right around a 30 pilot jet.

S-4--that looks good

Needle: 6BFY 43-75---will be lean on the starting diameter. I would try the 6DEY 15-74 or a richer 6BFY 43-74 needle. I use a 42-74 needle in the 17+ KTM/Husky's

Main; 450 seems lean to me. I have used from 470-- 490 with success.

Have you replaced the small gasket in the jet block yet ? Almost everyone that I have seen so far has been deformed and needed to be replaced. A bad gasket will cause the bike to run very rich at idle, which some people will think is being caused by a rich pilot jet.
9/11/2019 2:28pm
digger wrote:
From what I'm looking at, I would say you are mostly correct. That 5.75 slide is lean for a 125, and when combined with the 25...
From what I'm looking at, I would say you are mostly correct.

That 5.75 slide is lean for a 125, and when combined with the 25 pilot it will fell very lean. Especially with an un-notched slide. Yes, the larger the front side notch the richer it will make the engine, thus requiring a smaller pilot jet. The slide # is stamped into the top of the slide on the tab that sticks out, unless someone has cut the slide. I would recommend that you not run a slide leaner than a #5 in the small bore 125/150 bikes. With the richer slide and notched slide, I would expect you to be right around a 30 pilot jet.

S-4--that looks good

Needle: 6BFY 43-75---will be lean on the starting diameter. I would try the 6DEY 15-74 or a richer 6BFY 43-74 needle. I use a 42-74 needle in the 17+ KTM/Husky's

Main; 450 seems lean to me. I have used from 470-- 490 with success.

Have you replaced the small gasket in the jet block yet ? Almost everyone that I have seen so far has been deformed and needed to be replaced. A bad gasket will cause the bike to run very rich at idle, which some people will think is being caused by a rich pilot jet.
I got back the bike and checked the slide, it's 4.0 now.
So I should remove 1.0 mm from the bigger cut, but what about the smaller cut?
I just received the new gasket, gonna replace it soon. What do you use to stick it there, what glue maybe?
digger
Fantasy
3871st
9/11/2019 3:24pm
dasler358 wrote:
I got back the bike and checked the slide, it's 4.0 now. So I should remove 1.0 mm from the bigger cut, but what about the...
I got back the bike and checked the slide, it's 4.0 now.
So I should remove 1.0 mm from the bigger cut, but what about the smaller cut?
I just received the new gasket, gonna replace it soon. What do you use to stick it there, what glue maybe?
Yes, use black magic marker and color around the halfmoon cutout on the back side of the slide. I do this so I can see the line I am going to etch, Next etch a line, 1mm down around the halfmoon cutout. I use a digital caliper to etch the line . Next blend that arch cutaway down to the line that you just etched, all the way around the halfmoon.I use an electric die grinder to blend down to the etched line, but a Dremel will work as well. I finish it up, smooth it out, with a sanding drum.

I file the small notch on the front side of the slide with a 4.5mm wide round file, and file the notch 4mm deep.
9/15/2019 7:59am
digger wrote:
Yes, use black magic marker and color around the halfmoon cutout on the back side of the slide. I do this so I can see the...
Yes, use black magic marker and color around the halfmoon cutout on the back side of the slide. I do this so I can see the line I am going to etch, Next etch a line, 1mm down around the halfmoon cutout. I use a digital caliper to etch the line . Next blend that arch cutaway down to the line that you just etched, all the way around the halfmoon.I use an electric die grinder to blend down to the etched line, but a Dremel will work as well. I finish it up, smooth it out, with a sanding drum.

I file the small notch on the front side of the slide with a 4.5mm wide round file, and file the notch 4mm deep.
Thanks for your help!
I couldn't done it yet, the bike is dead now, the mechanic didn't hear what I do. There was some whistling noise when the powervalve opened up. i can only think that should be an air leak. main 470 elevation 160m , wot for couple of seconds in 6th gear.. maybe 3-4 sec Max!. Till seizure.. I understand I'm a complete idiot, I have changed the original pipe to a gianelli arrow in March and now it's the 4th seizure, (second with the tmx38)... I hate myself..
But fff I have asked the mechanic to do an air leak test. ..he said the bike is fine, they have no time for now (they needed one week to say it).. I love this country (Ukraine) I need to be a mechanic myself if I want to ride my bike. Im already looking for a cheap air leak/ compression tester.

Post a reply to: 17 TC 125 cutting out

The Latest