19' 150 XCW, Engine building, pipes, hand guards etc!

GCBC
3/13/2019 7:32am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 11:05pm
So just picked this up last night, Need some tips to get it ready to go for 800-1000ft, 35-50*F with 93oct, motul 800 @ 50:1

My 18 250sx carb was very crisp running and no bogs with just +2 on the main jet, it apparently came rich on the bottom and lean up top from the factory, If this is the case on this 150 id like to know before I break it in today so I dont blow it up from screaming it and it being lean. I just want to get it relatively close and safe for the next week while I figure out what to do with the power department. Was going to jump from my te125 to a new 300tpi but chickened out last minute and got the 150 figuring id spend some $,$$$ on the engine to give it a lot more low-mid range and make it a real mean scalpel in the woods.

What should I do with the power valve? it only came with one yellow spare spring (think my 250sx came with 3?) with the spring in it right now if I turn CW or CCW which way is it going to move the power? and is there a good video description of what the PW does and exactly how it works?

As far as other chassis stuff I just put the power parts skid plate on it and desperate need some super durable hand guards that bolt to the ends of the grips and the ones like a pic of some BRP thing that mounted the other side to the bar clamp that way I can have nothing clamped to the bars itself besides the clutch/brake and killswitch buttons instead of having to have the controls positioned based on where the hand guards are mounted. you know what I mean? 

Also desperately need a .75in-1in rise, can I get some risers that will work with the aforementioned hand guard bar clamp setup?

So what level engine package should I be looking into doing? will sending out the cylinder and head to be ported/polished and compression raised up a lot be enough? Should I go with a fatty & shorty pipe or something else? A Scalvini carbon short silencer would be cool and I'm ok spending the extra on that if its got similar bottom end punch. I dont imagine the bike needs more overrev/top since my te125 doesn't but I know I want a hell of a lot more bottom-mid. For those about to say I shoulda got the 200rr well I drove 3hrs one way to look at it and didn't like it at all. Rather have less power and an overall bike im much happier with.

Which plastics pieces are compatible with the sx models? ex my 450 was identical to the 250sx, will 450sxf graphics kit and plastics fit the XC-W? I know the tank is diff but everything eyeballs the same?

|
3/13/2019 2:41pm
I’m pretty sure all plastics are interchangeable with 16-18 sx/sxf models, but they won’t have holes for plate on rear mudguard
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/13/2019 10:25pm
All plastics are interchangeable 16-18 4 stroke models to the 150. Not sure how that rear taillight mounts tho.

The power valve is softest(most bottom end) when loose CCW, you gain top end hit the more CW you go in. I found between 1.5-1.75 in on my 125sx feels best for me.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
3/14/2019 7:28am
Yup, all plastics will mount up, the only difference being the rear fender has mount locations for the rear fender and the front plate with light in it.
GCBC
3/14/2019 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 12:42pm
Rode it yesterday for an hr and just now, has 1.6hrs on it and love it. Tried it with PW all the way in which felt like it hurt bottom-mid range and had the same top end power then went all the way out which seemed to help it get on the pipe maybe 1000rpm sooner? Didn’t make the top end more powerful just helped it get on the pipe easier it seemed so I’m running it all the way out right now.

It was 55* yesterday and felt a little crisper and had a stronger idle than it did today at 74*. Here is what plug looks like right now. Feels great at 50-100% throttle when on the pipe.
As for the engine mod side of things I’ve ridden it on varied terrain enough now to know what I need it to do, gear is spot on but I need more grunt out of 2nd gear corners and things that you say hmm could hit that in 2nd just barely or you’d be on the pipe in 1st making it to jerky. So will the rktek head do it all there or a pipe and silencer give me more or both?

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/14/2019 10:45pm
JD Jet kit was a great mod on my 125.

I like the power feel of the FMF fatty pipe with a shorty silencer.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
3/15/2019 8:00am
I put a Sclavini pipe with a full carbon Bud's Racing silencer on my 2017 TC 125 that I raced enduros with. It was a great set up for the woods. The two biggest improvements I made to the engine was a set of vForce reeds and F1 moto power valve linkage.
GCBC
3/15/2019 4:40pm
Did you go with soft tension reeds for bottom end power or does it only make for sharper or smoother throttle response? The bike could definitely have SMOOTHER mapping than it does right now. Perhaps additional flywheel weight? It feels like a 100% mx bike power delivery

I got a FMF shorty on the way for 125, found a natural finish fatty for 200 shipped but cant find the normal nice finish ones for under 230...

Is there anything I can do with the airbox internal to remove some of those bars and plastics to make it have more power?

2stmark
3/15/2019 9:15pm
jt.hagerty wrote:
I put a Sclavini pipe with a full carbon Bud's Racing silencer on my 2017 TC 125 that I raced enduros with. It was a great...
I put a Sclavini pipe with a full carbon Bud's Racing silencer on my 2017 TC 125 that I raced enduros with. It was a great set up for the woods. The two biggest improvements I made to the engine was a set of vForce reeds and F1 moto power valve linkage.
Curious what you thought the F1 linkage did ?

did you test back to back ?

GCBC
3/16/2019 10:32am
I still dont understand what the PV does. why would you want it at all? You want maximum low, maximum mid and maximum top why would you want any "hit" or to give up any power anywhere?
riv187
3/16/2019 2:36pm
I had Kelsey at rk tek make a head insert for my tc125. Made the power delivery smoother and easier to ride. I also have v-force cage,, buds racing pipe and his shorty silencer ,, and lastly Vito power jet on carb that eases tuning top end. I think I have a trail bike power at slow speed and a screamer still when on track! I recommend the rk tek head. Be ready to add fuel with bigger main or power jet !
DynoDan22
3/16/2019 7:38pm
The PV gives a lower port timing (closed position) which gives maximum torque at low rpm and when fully opened, it gives maximum revs via higher port timing. It makes the power incredibly broad compared to a non powervalve engine which has a set albeit compromised port timing. The powervalve makes small bore bikes way easier to ride and actually maximizes torque through the rpm range. I prefer the stock 150sx PV spring set at 1/2 turn in from full out (flush). I have a Keihin 38mm airstriker from the '16 150sx which I feel is superior to the Mikuni in every way. The FMF factory fatty and FMF shorty dyno'd the best and runs best on the track as well. Vforce 4 works well too. I ride mostly tracks so I'd don't know what power type your looking for but my '18 150 is incredible.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/16/2019 11:04pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
The PV gives a lower port timing (closed position) which gives maximum torque at low rpm and when fully opened, it gives maximum revs via higher...
The PV gives a lower port timing (closed position) which gives maximum torque at low rpm and when fully opened, it gives maximum revs via higher port timing. It makes the power incredibly broad compared to a non powervalve engine which has a set albeit compromised port timing. The powervalve makes small bore bikes way easier to ride and actually maximizes torque through the rpm range. I prefer the stock 150sx PV spring set at 1/2 turn in from full out (flush). I have a Keihin 38mm airstriker from the '16 150sx which I feel is superior to the Mikuni in every way. The FMF factory fatty and FMF shorty dyno'd the best and runs best on the track as well. Vforce 4 works well too. I ride mostly tracks so I'd don't know what power type your looking for but my '18 150 is incredible.
+ 1 on the Keihin. I haven’t heard anything good since KTM/Husky went to the Mikuni.
GCBC
3/18/2019 1:55pm
ordered RK tek head and full fmf exhaust w fast shipping.
riv187
3/18/2019 4:07pm
GCBC wrote:
ordered RK tek head and full fmf exhaust w fast shipping.
I think you'll be pleased. Try 1 turn in on the power valve. I'd highly recommend a 5.5 or 5.75 slide if your using a Mikuni,,RK will probably know the 150s carb combination.,,and a Vito power jet added to carb. RK will tell you add main jet size,his head shape likes more. My 125 is like 4 bigger on main than before. My Vito power jet simplified finding the sweet spot on top end.
GCBC
3/29/2019 1:27pm
Did the fatty, shorty, rk tek head, changed jets, changed jets again, v force 4r reed and its runs great would be a blast on the mx track. bike is for sale tho. im just a 4 stroke guy to the core.

Post a reply to: 19' 150 XCW, Engine building, pipes, hand guards etc!

The Latest