20 mm offset on 17-18 or 19 crf 450

mg311
hi does anyone try 20 mm offset on the new honda? i would like to know the review also if xtrig rocs worth the money
|
12/30/2018 9:00pm
My opinion 20mm offset It's an exaggeration
Crf It has amazing turn
All it takes is a little lower back (fc ,pc or ride links )
H4L
12/31/2018 9:05am
Own an 18 R model & it turns amazing in stock trim. I'd suggest experimenting with the sag & also moving the forks up 2-4 mm's if you're looking for sharper steering.
mg311
1/1/2019 5:18am
H4L wrote:
Own an 18 R model & it turns amazing in stock trim. I'd suggest experimenting with the sag & also moving the forks up 2-4 mm's...
Own an 18 R model & it turns amazing in stock trim. I'd suggest experimenting with the sag & also moving the forks up 2-4 mm's if you're looking for sharper steering.
sorry but with 20 mm offset you increase stability not cornering
H4L
1/1/2019 8:23am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 10:23am
mg311 wrote:
These have been my experiences with 450's..
Had 09-10 CRF450r's that came with 20mm oem triple clamps that gave the bike sharper steering, but less stability at higher speeds. 2005-06 models owned with 24mm oem clamps gave the bike very good stability, but not good steering. Tried 22mm PC clamps on the 06 (to improve steering) that slightly helped turning giving it a little less stability. An 08 model owned came with 22mm oem clamps & seemed to be a happy medium.
Chassis geometry has a lot to do with the equation of the head steering angle (turning) & stability with the clamp set measurement allowing a little tune-ability. From my understanding Honda went back to similiar specs on the 17-19 chassis geometry as the 08 model that came with 22mm oem triple clamps.

Based on what I've experienced with 250 2t's or 450's using different offset clamps, the 20mm ones will give the bike less stability with slightly better steering.

Here is a good article I read a few yrs. back on triple clamp offsets.
https://motocrossactionmag.com/ten-things-about-triple-clamp-offset/

The Shop

mg311
1/1/2019 8:36am
mg311 wrote:
H4L wrote:
These have been my experiences with 450's.. Had 09-10 CRF450r's that came with 20mm oem triple clamps that gave the bike sharper steering, but less stability...
Had 09-10 CRF450r's that came with 20mm oem triple clamps that gave the bike sharper steering, but less stability at higher speeds. 2005-06 models owned with 24mm oem clamps gave the bike very good stability, but not good steering. Tried 22mm PC clamps on the 06 (to improve steering) that slightly helped turning giving it a little less stability. An 08 model owned came with 22mm oem clamps & seemed to be a happy medium.
Chassis geometry has a lot to do with the equation of the head steering angle (turning) & stability with the clamp set measurement allowing a little tune-ability. From my understanding Honda went back to similiar specs on the 17-19 chassis geometry as the 08 model that came with 22mm oem triple clamps.

Based on what I've experienced with 250 2t's or 450's using different offset clamps, the 20mm ones will give the bike less stability with slightly better steering.

that is the suggest:

"In the end, riders find that clamps with reduced offset steer better, because altogether it gives the bike a MORE STABLE FEEL—but with easier steering and with a front tire that stays more planted."
H4L
1/1/2019 8:48am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 9:04am
mg311 wrote:
that is the suggest: "In the end, riders find that clamps with reduced offset steer better, because altogether it gives the bike a MORE STABLE FEEL—but...
that is the suggest:

"In the end, riders find that clamps with reduced offset steer better, because altogether it gives the bike a MORE STABLE FEEL—but with easier steering and with a front tire that stays more planted."
Less fork offset (20mm as opposed to 22mm) increases trail and, on paper, "SHOULD" make the bike steer slower and improve stability. Yet, for some reason (perhaps the wide number of factors involved in bike handling), less offset often results in a bike that turns sharper and is more accurate.

Ok. Just trying to help you out. The manufacturer engineers generally know whats best as oem specs from the factory. I'd think if the 20mm was a better option the 17-19 models would have come with them off the showroom floor. They do a lot of testing before the models are released, but that's not to say the 20mm ones might work better due to personal preference on how the bike feels. Good luck on your quest...
macz400
1/1/2019 9:03am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 9:04am
mg311 wrote:
H4L wrote:
These have been my experiences with 450's.. Had 09-10 CRF450r's that came with 20mm oem triple clamps that gave the bike sharper steering, but less stability...

mg311 wrote:
that is the suggest: "In the end, riders find that clamps with reduced offset steer better, because altogether it gives the bike a MORE STABLE FEEL—but...
that is the suggest:

This goes against everything I've ever heard about clamp offsets. Seems common sense to me if you have the same chassis and you run a 20mm offset clamp, you will have sharper turning but lose a little straight line stability because you are pulling the forks in closer to the bike at a steeper angle versus kicking them away further from the bike like say with a 24mm offset. All depends on chassis and personal preference.
H4L
1/1/2019 9:09am
macz400 wrote:
This goes against everything I've ever heard about clamp offsets. Seems common sense to me if you have the same chassis and you run a 20mm...
This goes against everything I've ever heard about clamp offsets. Seems common sense to me if you have the same chassis and you run a 20mm offset clamp, you will have sharper turning but lose a little straight line stability because you are pulling the forks in closer to the bike at a steeper angle versus kicking them away further from the bike like say with a 24mm offset. All depends on chassis and personal preference.
Yep. Experience will teach him that. If he has tried using different offset clamps in the past on the same chassis he would not be asking this question & would understand how it works.

Post a reply to: 20 mm offset on 17-18 or 19 crf 450

The Latest