2003 KX250 Fork Swap With KYB SSS Question

Lightning78
Has anyone swapped out the stock 48mm open bath 03-04 or the twin chamber (same outer dimensions) 05-07 forks with a set of Yamaha KYB SSS or even the Kawasaki equivalent KYB AOSS forks? I know my 03 has the same forks that came on the 2004 Yamaha's and a KYB SSS fork swap can be done with the stock triple clamps. With that being said I'm wondering if I can put a set of KYB SSS forks on my 2003 KX250 and use my stock triple clamps since I'm pretty sure they will fit in the stock clamps but hoping for confirmation here from anyone that has done it.

I'm sure there will be some wheel spacers changes which won't be a problem and I'm almost positive both the Yamaha ad my Kawi have the same diameter front axle based on the shared use of the same forks in 2004.
None that can help with input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
|
3/10/2018 7:12am
My only concern would be if the axle diameter and fork lugs are the same to ensure the caliper will bolt up and be in the correct place.
Lightning78
3/23/2018 1:22pm
My only concern would be if the axle diameter and fork lugs are the same to ensure the caliper will bolt up and be in the...
My only concern would be if the axle diameter and fork lugs are the same to ensure the caliper will bolt up and be in the correct place.
Yes they are....well im 99% sure bec it would be illogical to have a different fron axle diameter seeing as how the 2004 KX's and the 2004 RMZ/KX250f have nearly identical forks as all the 2004 YZ/YZf's came with in 2004 only possibly tye only differences would be valving and spring rate differences. One of the for sure similarities would be the fork axle lug which would include the hole diameter for clampint the axle itself and i know with 100% Certainty any 2004 YZ/YZf is the easiest fork sawp/upgrade no clamp changes, no wheel changes, everything lines up and the important diameters are the same. The reason I reference Yamaha is because there is a wealth of information regarding Fork Swap and upgrades from the previous KYB Forks as old as the 1994 and up generations and even THEN the guy posted in the Bike builds he didnt need to swap out his triple clamps. I can see where the ONLY issue im even remotely concerned about is the spacing between the fourth wheel or axle lugs and if I'm going to have to customize a set of spacers to fit but I doubt it and I know that people have made KYB SSS Fork upgrades for older Kawasaki KX as well as my bike but there just isn't nearly as much information out there as with a Yamaha to Yamaha swap and I want to retain my stock Kawasaki clamps because they were built and designed around the bike which maintains what the factory intended for Flex characteristics and the KYB SSS Forks also the same diameter as the current forks I have on my bike a 2003 KX250 and that goes for 2003-2007 KX's So it should be fairly easy find the absolute worst case scenario if there's absolutely no way to make this swap work I'm confident I can get exactly what I paid for them if I had to sell them but I can't see that happening it should go well and built up just fine I also want to retain my stock wheels because my bike was one of the few model years of Kawasaki KX is that came with the shoulderless DID rims they look like this (
Instead of having the regular flat to arc to flat design thats been used on dirtbikes since the beginning of time. By the way I apologize for the extra long posts in this thread by me but I'm putting as much information up as possible so hopefully if anybody else has any questions about doing this and there's enough information in this thread alone to do this swap with the Kawasaki KX so someone in a similar position is me could find this thread on Google specifically on vital and be able to know with full confidence that it will work because there is something to be said about how incredibly perfect those Forks the KYB SSS sports are compared to any other Fork even Grupo and we're talking about a set of bone stock Forks those bikes that have ridden with them it seriously almost felt like cheating I've only have one set of front forks that were even remotely as good as the bone stock KYB SSS forks and those were a $3,500 set of be kit forks from RG3 and they were Showas. On a side note I'm also looking into finding out whether I can have the option of putting on these new generation show up Spring Forks that are coming on the crfs and the RMZ for this year they are an exact replica / clone of a kit forks from a few years ago and from everything I've read they are very close to being as good as KYB SSS but Above All Else my first choice would be the KYB SSS Sports hopefully down the road this level help many others but I'm still looking for confirmation and input from anybody that can be of assistance with letting all of us know what challenges there are if any with doing the swap on a last-generation Kawasaki KX250 or KX125.

Once I get a set of the forks I will post up as many pictures and detailed information as I can about doing the swap

The Shop

7/4/2018 8:28pm
Has anyone swapped out the stock 48mm open bath 03-04 or the twin chamber (same outer dimensions) 05-07 forks with a set of Yamaha KYB SSS...
Has anyone swapped out the stock 48mm open bath 03-04 or the twin chamber (same outer dimensions) 05-07 forks with a set of Yamaha KYB SSS or even the Kawasaki equivalent KYB AOSS forks? I know my 03 has the same forks that came on the 2004 Yamaha's and a KYB SSS fork swap can be done with the stock triple clamps. With that being said I'm wondering if I can put a set of KYB SSS forks on my 2003 KX250 and use my stock triple clamps since I'm pretty sure they will fit in the stock clamps but hoping for confirmation here from anyone that has done it.

I'm sure there will be some wheel spacers changes which won't be a problem and I'm almost positive both the Yamaha ad my Kawi have the same diameter front axle based on the shared use of the same forks in 2004.
i just fitted 2018 yz250 kyb sss forks to my 2005 kx250 stock clamps with no problem. need to run a yamaha front wheel/hub and caliper with yamaha spaces and good to go. i jus bought 2012 yzf kyb for my kx250 and tryed my mates 2018 forks to be sure.
Lightning78
8/30/2018 9:28am
Has anyone swapped out the stock 48mm open bath 03-04 or the twin chamber (same outer dimensions) 05-07 forks with a set of Yamaha KYB SSS...

JD#442_NZ wrote:
i just fitted 2018 yz250 kyb sss forks to my 2005 kx250 stock clamps with no problem. need to run a yamaha front wheel/hub and caliper...
i just fitted 2018 yz250 kyb sss forks to my 2005 kx250 stock clamps with no problem. need to run a yamaha front wheel/hub and caliper with yamaha spaces and good to go. i jus bought 2012 yzf kyb for my kx250 and tryed my mates 2018 forks to be sure.
My 03 KX250 has those special shoulderless rims and id REALLY like to keep them the same....any chance I could get away with running the Yamaha spacers on my 03 KX250 front wheel? I really want to mount up a set of the Yamaha 06+ forks on my bike but I would hate to lose the cool front wheel/rim design.

I know for a fact that the 03 kx250 and the 06-10 Yamaha front axle are nearly identical and will fit up with the kx250 front wheel and the Yamaha front forks.
8/31/2018 5:23am
JD#442_NZ wrote:
i just fitted 2018 yz250 kyb sss forks to my 2005 kx250 stock clamps with no problem. need to run a yamaha front wheel/hub and caliper...
Are you running stock pull rods or Pro Circuit?

Post a reply to: 2003 KX250 Fork Swap With KYB SSS Question

The Latest