2017 Ktm 450 barely running

jlane97
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 4:35am
Guys,

Bike has 40 hours, close to being stock.

Since new the bike had flameout/popping on decel. As it got a little
Colder it seemed to get worse (obviously w/ lean conditions)
Sunday I went riding and the bike struggled hard in 4th and 5th gear with major bogging taking affect. Last night I start looking everything over. Taking the tank apart, cleaning it. I took note to the fuel filter inside tank having a smal tin hole in it and i thought I had everything covered. I changed the filter inside tank and put everything back together. Put new fuel in with a little sea foam. Let the bike run for a bit and still same problem if
Not worse.

I bought a tps tool today (arrives in 2 days)to fix what I had first thought was a small problem. But now I know it's something much more.

Any help appreciated, trying to do a hare scramble on Sunday.
|
9/19/2017 9:47pm
jlane97 wrote:
Guys, Bike has 40 hours, close to being stock. Since new the bike had flameout/popping on decel. As it got a little Colder it seemed to...
Guys,

Bike has 40 hours, close to being stock.

Since new the bike had flameout/popping on decel. As it got a little
Colder it seemed to get worse (obviously w/ lean conditions)
Sunday I went riding and the bike struggled hard in 4th and 5th gear with major bogging taking affect. Last night I start looking everything over. Taking the tank apart, cleaning it. I took note to the fuel filter inside tank having a smal tin hole in it and i thought I had everything covered. I changed the filter inside tank and put everything back together. Put new fuel in with a little sea foam. Let the bike run for a bit and still same problem if
Not worse.

I bought a tps tool today (arrives in 2 days)to fix what I had first thought was a small problem. But now I know it's something much more.

Any help appreciated, trying to do a hare scramble on Sunday.
Did you try replacing the fuel filter in the fuel line?
Acidreamer
9/20/2017 6:10am
a list of things to check:
1. Valves within spec - mostly for decel pop
2. Motor timing in spec
3. Sensors related to air temp ok?
4. Air filter spotless?
5. Fuel is coming out of fuel pump properly - no partial clogs etc..
6. TPS
7. Crank sensor is ok? - a bad one could throw timing off.

Paw Paw
9/20/2017 10:25am
What about these....
Inline fuel filters
Dirty fuel injector
Pet cock screen filters if your s has them

Paw Paw

The Shop

CSAR FE
9/20/2017 8:20pm
That little in-line injector can cause all kinds of problems, including all the symptoms you listed, with a very small amount of shit in it. I change mine every oil change, which may or may not be overkill, but I stopped having issues associated with partially clogged in-line filters when I took up this procedure.
RCF
9/21/2017 4:55am
It's going to be one of these three inline filter , clogged injector or your TPS. I never had valve clearances come out of spec on a KTM actually the only time I checked them anymore is at the end-of-season rebuilds. Few years back they were horrible with blocking injectors we always run Chevron techron at 1 oz gallon and like stated above never leave the inline filter in for more than 10 hours and you should never have any injector problems again.

jlane97
9/21/2017 7:27am
Guys,

It was the fuel pump.

40 hours on bike and fuel pump took a shit. Not happy!
Paw Paw
9/21/2017 11:21am
They go bad from dirt in the fuel supply. Put a fuel sock in your fuel tank and stop it from happening. Also don't allow the fuel tank to be run dry as it will over heat the pump. The pump impellers are plastic and will melt.

Paw Paw
9/21/2017 11:54am
Any chance it was a kinked fuel hose off the pump in the tank
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/21/2017 9:58pm
Pgd09yz450 wrote:
Any chance it was a kinked fuel hose off the pump in the tank
I had a kinked line, swapped the whole pump and lines on my 15.5FE
RCF
9/22/2017 4:35am
jlane97 wrote:
Guys,

It was the fuel pump.

40 hours on bike and fuel pump took a shit. Not happy!
It sucks to hear this I thought they had that figured out , in 11 and 12 we go through three or four fuel pumps a season on13th and 14th never had to change one.
I'm just curious if you were changing the filters on a regular basis , I often wonder if a block filter will put strain on the pump and kill it I always did the inline every oil change in the in tank one every 30 hours.
Just so you know don't buy the OEM One very expensive California Cycleworks they're usually about a hundred bucks from then.

Post a reply to: 2017 Ktm 450 barely running

The Latest