2019 CRF Ground Wire

Monkeys6.7
6/15/2020 7:25am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2020 3:27pm
Yesterday both me and my friend went riding at LACR and we both have 2019 crf’s. Mines a 450 and his is a 250.. mine has about 35 hours, and his 250 has about 50. He had his bike cut out on the uphill step up on the vet track and it would pop and sputter and not rev up when giving it throttle. Turns out after looking the bike over his ground wire eyelet broke in half right on the battery.. Jerry rigged it back together and rode the rest of the day. Then about 10 minutes till closing time i had my bike cut out on the face of a jump right out of a corner. Luckily it didn’t endo or buck but same exact thing happened... broken eyelet on the ground wire to the battery. Has anyone experienced this with the e-start Honda’s or was this just some crazy coincidence?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/15/2020 9:06am
Monkeys6.7 wrote:
Yesterday both me and my friend went riding at LACR and we both have 2019 crf’s. Mines a 450 and his is a 250.. mine has...
Yesterday both me and my friend went riding at LACR and we both have 2019 crf’s. Mines a 450 and his is a 250.. mine has about 35 hours, and his 250 has about 50. He had his bike cut out on the uphill step up on the vet track and it would pop and sputter and not rev up when giving it throttle. Turns out after looking the bike over his ground wire eyelet broke in half right on the battery.. Jerry rigged it back together and rode the rest of the day. Then about 10 minutes till closing time i had my bike cut out on the face of a jump right out of a corner. Luckily it didn’t endo or buck but same exact thing happened... broken eyelet on the ground wire to the battery. Has anyone experienced this with the e-start Honda’s or was this just some crazy coincidence?
Dam that is gnarly! I wonder if your seat base is rubbing on it? I’ve never heard of that.
Monkeys6.7
6/16/2020 4:44pm
I wondered that as well and it looks like it physically cannot come in contact with the wire, what I did notice though is the subframe has a crossbar right there and it looks like the wire had been rubbing on it on both bikes. My “professional” speculation is that the battery has about a 1/16” of possible wiggle room back and forth and over time it weakens the eyelet and it finally snaps. How both bikes failed the same way on the same day is beyond me.. Anyways I’m gonna make a new ground wire that’s routed differently for both bikes and hopefully never re visit this issue haha. I hope this may be something for other crf owners to check for. It’s not fun having your bike completely cut out on you on the face of a jump 😂
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/16/2020 5:25pm
Oh yours broke on the battery side!?

Definitely make sure the battery does not move at all. Use foam to lock it into place.

I’ve upgraded my battery and using the 2020 battery tray that’s lower. But this is how it’s routed. Yours looks opposite to mine and connected front to back of the back in orientation. Mine is mounted across the battery side to side.

Monkeys6.7
6/16/2020 7:26pm
Oh yours broke on the battery side!? Definitely make sure the battery does not move at all. Use foam to lock it into place. I’ve upgraded...
Oh yours broke on the battery side!?

Definitely make sure the battery does not move at all. Use foam to lock it into place.

I’ve upgraded my battery and using the 2020 battery tray that’s lower. But this is how it’s routed. Yours looks opposite to mine and connected front to back of the back in orientation. Mine is mounted across the battery side to side.

Interesting yours is routed that way... we both bought our bikes from the same dealership and had the same mechanic assembling them (who is also a friend)... maybe the way he put the cables is to blame.

The Shop

DynoDan22
6/16/2020 8:12pm
The batter cable was hitting the plastic battery tray in the OP's pics. You can see a witness mark from the cable terminal hitting tray which caused it to break. The fact that the same mechanic assembled both bikes with the terminal pointers to the rear is the smoking gun. Luckily you guys are ok!!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
6/16/2020 9:56pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
The batter cable was hitting the plastic battery tray in the OP's pics. You can see a witness mark from the cable terminal hitting tray which...
The batter cable was hitting the plastic battery tray in the OP's pics. You can see a witness mark from the cable terminal hitting tray which caused it to break. The fact that the same mechanic assembled both bikes with the terminal pointers to the rear is the smoking gun. Luckily you guys are ok!!
Yeah that is sketchy. I’d tell that guy what happened and show him my routing. I got my bike direct from the Honda media testing team. I’d trust this set up.

Lucky you guys are both ok.
afk66
6/17/2020 3:43am
Monkeys6.7 wrote:
I wondered that as well and it looks like it physically cannot come in contact with the wire, what I did notice though is the subframe...
I wondered that as well and it looks like it physically cannot come in contact with the wire, what I did notice though is the subframe has a crossbar right there and it looks like the wire had been rubbing on it on both bikes. My “professional” speculation is that the battery has about a 1/16” of possible wiggle room back and forth and over time it weakens the eyelet and it finally snaps. How both bikes failed the same way on the same day is beyond me.. Anyways I’m gonna make a new ground wire that’s routed differently for both bikes and hopefully never re visit this issue haha. I hope this may be something for other crf owners to check for. It’s not fun having your bike completely cut out on you on the face of a jump 😂
I’m running the stock battery on my 2020 and it’s ground wire is also mounted / ran the same as CarlinoJoeVideo’s. I’ve not changed the routing so the dealer I bought from routed it that way. Could very well been a factor in the two breaking.
Monkeys6.7
6/18/2020 10:06am
Update: after reviewing CarolinaJoeVideos picture and actually getting time to work on fixing my bike... the battery’s were installed backwards. The positive was on the right and the negative was on the left. I also noticed the positive wires on both bikes weren’t properly clipped into the battery tray and sort of just ran aimlessly and even smashed between the tray and subframe on my friends 250. Flipped the batteries around and made new ground cables and all is well. Kind of makes me Leary of the attention to detail on the rest of the bike. Going to go through the entire thing before the next ride lol. Thank you guys for the help!
afk66
6/18/2020 10:19am
Good to hear you got it sorted!
DynoDan22
6/18/2020 11:23am
How could a dealer install not one but two CRF batteries backwards with incorrect cable routing? Good thing we pay a $400 set up fee for some muppet to put a front wheel/fender/bars and install a battery. I'd take both bikes back to the dealer and tune them up. That's just sub-par work on their part.
cwtoyota
6/24/2020 3:27pm
Monkeys6.7 wrote:
Yesterday both me and my friend went riding at LACR and we both have 2019 crf’s. Mines a 450 and his is a 250.. mine has...
In your photo, you can see where that ground wire was rubbing the back of the plastic tray.

That wire shouldn't touch anything with any force like that. Make sure it's not rubbing like that when you put the new one on.

Post a reply to: 2019 CRF Ground Wire

The Latest