2019 CRF250R Wont Stay Running. 1 Mil Blink

Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2020 12:11pm
Bike will start and run for about 15 seconds. Then shutoff. Kill switch lights up with 1 blink. Occasionally I can get it to restart just to shut off again. Owners manual says MAP sensor circuit malfunction. Chased the wires and they look good. Could the sensor be dead not working properly?

First discovered when I tried to start my bike to warm up to ride. Just 1 week before I was riding. Bike was running perfect. Washed the bike after and I started it up again before I put it away. Dont really know where to look next.
|
captmoto
1/12/2020 5:10pm
Do you pressure wash? Maybe break all your connections and clean with compressed air or computer type canned air. Check on line for a way to test continuity for the MAP sensor. Or just take it to a shop.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
1/12/2020 5:20pm
I did pressure wash, but I am very diligent on not spraying the throttle body area/air box. I know there are senstive connections. I forgot to mention in my first post, I took the MAP sensor off to take a look inside the connection. No water or dirt was visible. Same with the ECM and a couple other connections. I put it back together with dielectric grease to help keep water out.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/12/2020 9:12pm
I’ve heard a lot of the kill switches get water in them. Try disconnecting that?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/13/2020 8:35am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2020 8:37am
Leeham wrote:
Bike will start and run for about 15 seconds. Then shutoff. Kill switch lights up with 1 blink. Occasionally I can get it to restart just...
Bike will start and run for about 15 seconds. Then shutoff. Kill switch lights up with 1 blink. Occasionally I can get it to restart just to shut off again. Owners manual says MAP sensor circuit malfunction. Chased the wires and they look good. Could the sensor be dead not working properly?

First discovered when I tried to start my bike to warm up to ride. Just 1 week before I was riding. Bike was running perfect. Washed the bike after and I started it up again before I put it away. Dont really know where to look next.
The MIL/mode switch/kill switch is not sealed well enough for pressure washing in these machines. Disconnect the kill switch and try it again. Bet you got water in the switch. If thats not it, you'll have to take apart and dry out the MAP connector and see if that takes care of it. I have a 2018 450RX...had the same problem. I took apart the switch housing, and packed it with dielectric grease. No problems since.

The Shop

Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
1/14/2020 3:02am
Alright, ill disconnect the switch and make sure its dry. Same with all the other connections. I will say it was raining pretty good on my way to the track. Traveling at freeway speeds it would make it very possible for water to work its way in eventually.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/14/2020 12:07pm
Leeham wrote:
Alright, ill disconnect the switch and make sure its dry. Same with all the other connections. I will say it was raining pretty good on my...
Alright, ill disconnect the switch and make sure its dry. Same with all the other connections. I will say it was raining pretty good on my way to the track. Traveling at freeway speeds it would make it very possible for water to work its way in eventually.
You can try to start the bike with the kill switch disconnected.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
1/14/2020 12:19pm
Just did, started and ran. Thanks for the help. The next one ill buy ill pack with di-grease and put a grocery bag around it if I have to drive in the rain. I always covered it when washing it.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/15/2020 10:21am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 10:21am
Leeham wrote:
Just did, started and ran. Thanks for the help. The next one ill buy ill pack with di-grease and put a grocery bag around it if...
Just did, started and ran. Thanks for the help. The next one ill buy ill pack with di-grease and put a grocery bag around it if I have to drive in the rain. I always covered it when washing it.
Any time. Glad we could help you out with that.

Are you buying a new switch or are you going to take the housing apart and let it dry out?
Also, on my RX, I have wired a second start button in parallel, and mounted it to the small frame rail behind the right radiator. (so that if I damage or destroy the bar mount start button, I can still get the bike running...needed it twice this past race season).
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
1/16/2020 5:06am
Bought a new switch. I took the switch apart and let it sit for a day. Tried to start it and its done. The board within the switch is fried. Oh well. However I do need to get a second start switch like yours. Ive seen in videos, factory teams have done that as a backup. I have lost 1 ride day because my start button got jammed up when I had a very low speed tip over. Freak thing. Easy enough fix but I couldn't do it at the track so it ended that day a little early.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/16/2020 7:14pm
I just ordered this kill switch from Ride Eng. I don’t need the mapping options because I run a Vortex ECU. Maybe this is sealed better? They have a black version and e start switch.

mxgreg85
1/18/2020 4:40am
It surprises me that an aftermarket company hasn't made a switch that mimics the functionality of the stock one but with a more robust waterproof casing, direct replacement plug in as the stock does. It seems like they would sell a few.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
7/28/2020 1:37pm
Im back but same problem but its not the switch. Plugged in a new one and the bike wont stay running if there is no throttle or the high speed idle isnt pulled. 1 really fast blink on the map/kill switch just like before. Should I try a new spark plug? Current plug has 48 hours on it.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/28/2020 8:03pm
Leeham wrote:
Im back but same problem but its not the switch. Plugged in a new one and the bike wont stay running if there is no throttle...
Im back but same problem but its not the switch. Plugged in a new one and the bike wont stay running if there is no throttle or the high speed idle isnt pulled. 1 really fast blink on the map/kill switch just like before. Should I try a new spark plug? Current plug has 48 hours on it.
Maybe fuel filter is bad?

Did you check the manual for what the one blink code mean?
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
7/29/2020 12:05pm
1 mil blink says Map sensor but I dont know if actually blinking for the code or the regular blink for when the engine turns off. Not sure if the bike is just flaming out at low RPMs. New spark plug goes in tomorrow and if that doesnt fix it, ill bump the idle a bit to see if that makes a difference. If not, ill check fuel filter, valves, and electrical connections.

Ill note that the bike runs just fine when I actually ride it and get on the gas. Power like usual. I just dont wanna go over a jump and have it die on me, especially if I brake tap in the air.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
7/29/2020 12:49pm
Well I mustve over oiled my air filter. There was a bunch of standing oil in my airbox on the engine side of the filter. Pulled the plug and this is what it looks like. Im fairly certain it should be this carboned up and be wet with oil. Might be the source of my flameouts at low rpms/idle.
Paul_Pitzonka
7/29/2020 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2020 12:11pm
Leeham wrote:
Well I mustve over oiled my air filter. There was a bunch of standing oil in my airbox on the engine side of the filter. Pulled...
Well I mustve over oiled my air filter. There was a bunch of standing oil in my airbox on the engine side of the filter. Pulled the plug and this is what it looks like. Im fairly certain it should be this carboned up and be wet with oil. Might be the source of my flameouts at low rpms/idle.
New problem sounds more like excessive blow by or crankcase pressure... (the oil you’re seeing is more than likely coming from the breather tube that routes directly to the inlet side of the air box)... It could be as simple as over filling the engine with oil... But (pending on hours) my bet would be worn rings or broken reed/ check valve in the crankcase
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
8/1/2020 2:09pm
New spark plug didnt do anything to help my issue. I actually believe its my MAP sensor or at least the MAP sensor circuit. I get one quick blink on the switch whem the bike shuts off. Owners Manual says MAP circuit malfuntion. When I keep the bike running with throttle, the bike is very lurchy off the bottom and runs poorly. I dont think I noticed this before when I rode it around.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
8/1/2020 5:23pm
Unplugged and looked at all the connections. No corrosion or grime. Bought a MAP sensor, should be here in a 2 weeks or so. Bike starts then immediatly shuts off. Sounds like to me the ECU isnt getting the correct reading from the MAP sensor and shuts it off. The only way it stays running is if I pull the fast idle knob.
1/11/2023 6:59pm

Hi leeham. Did you ever solve this problem.

Having the exact issue with mine

Post a reply to: 2019 CRF250R Wont Stay Running. 1 Mil Blink

The Latest