2019 Honda crf450rwe WILL NOT START!

kwenske321
12/6/2018 9:20pm
The bike has 4.2 hrs on it and has been running flawlessly. Went riding on Saturday and washed the bike Sunday evening. During wash I always plug the mufflers and air box to seal out moisture. Went into the garage tonight to install a clean air filter, install the seat etc... Upon starting the bike, it ran poorly for about 2-3 seconds before shutting off and has not fired since. Is this the kill switch moisture problem I have read about?? The bike turns over and there is a scent of fuel in the air leading me to believe I can eliminate the fuel system and battery from being the problem. Any help and guidance is appreciated. Oh and yes... I am pulling the clutch lever in.
|
therj_629
12/6/2018 9:44pm
This just happened to a buddy of mine. He blew everything out with air but no luck. He left it on a battery tender over night ant it stared right up the next day. Super weird
12/6/2018 9:58pm
Most likely the kill switch. Happened to a good friend of mine with a 2018. Somehow water gets in there and frys it. He got a new switch sealed it with some rtv and puts a bag over it every time he washes just to be safe. Took care of the problem UNTIL his wire harness shit out on him, but his bike was doing other odd things when the problem turned out to be the harness. Luckily for him honda warrantied the harness...it seems like they know something is up. I've heard of other people with the same bike having the same problem. By pass the kill switch and see if it fires.
kwenske321
12/6/2018 10:33pm
Does anyone know how to bypass the kill switch? There are six wires than run to it.
12/6/2018 10:41pm
The electric schematic in the service manual should help ya. Sorry but I'm not sure...im a kawi guy.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
12/7/2018 7:25am
Sounds like you have water in something electrical.

If you follow the kill switch wires around and unwrap them if they are taped together you should be able to unplug it from a connection point.
kwenske321
12/7/2018 7:30am Edited Date/Time 12/7/2018 7:31am
Sounds like you have water in something electrical. If you follow the kill switch wires around and unwrap them if they are taped together you should...
Sounds like you have water in something electrical.

If you follow the kill switch wires around and unwrap them if they are taped together you should be able to unplug it from a connection point.
I agree with you, and I didnt even use a power washer. I followed the kill switch and unplugged it. It would not fire unplugged, although I am not sure if they can run with the kill switch unplugged to begin with seeing as how it’a not just a kill switch.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
12/7/2018 8:38am
Check to see if a fuse popped when you tried to start when the electrics were wet?
kwenske321
12/7/2018 1:22pm
So before I pulled anything else apart, I tried starting it again and it fired right up on the third attempt. I let the bike warm up and shut it off. Fires right up now, and acts like nothing ever happen. I assume there was some moisture somewhere that finally dried out??
12/7/2018 3:00pm
Sounds like what happens to a PW50 anytime they even get near water.
BR8ES
12/7/2018 3:35pm
I would dielectric grease the connections st this point, especially if you have it apart to some degree. Happened once, who's to say it went again.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
12/7/2018 4:20pm
kwenske321 wrote:
So before I pulled anything else apart, I tried starting it again and it fired right up on the third attempt. I let the bike warm...
So before I pulled anything else apart, I tried starting it again and it fired right up on the third attempt. I let the bike warm up and shut it off. Fires right up now, and acts like nothing ever happen. I assume there was some moisture somewhere that finally dried out??
Before you have this problem again, take apart the mode/kill switch/MIL assembly. You'll find that the kill switch and mode switch are microswitches on a PCB. Those microswitches are not sealed. When you pressure wash them, or drive through a howling monsoon with your bike in the bed of a pickup truck, water gets into them, and the bike will not run until they dry out. I packed the entire switch assembly with dielectric grease once it was dry (the CRC stuff from Autozone in the pressurized can). when you put the casing back together, it'll ooze out...just wipe off the excess and call it a day. While you're at it, a bit of dielectric grease in all the connectors isn't a bad idea. Do this and you'll never have that problem again. (I have the '18 CRF450RX...had that problem once)
kwenske321
12/10/2018 9:12am
kwenske321 wrote:
So before I pulled anything else apart, I tried starting it again and it fired right up on the third attempt. I let the bike warm...
Before you have this problem again, take apart the mode/kill switch/MIL assembly. You'll find that the kill switch and mode switch are microswitches on a PCB...
Before you have this problem again, take apart the mode/kill switch/MIL assembly. You'll find that the kill switch and mode switch are microswitches on a PCB. Those microswitches are not sealed. When you pressure wash them, or drive through a howling monsoon with your bike in the bed of a pickup truck, water gets into them, and the bike will not run until they dry out. I packed the entire switch assembly with dielectric grease once it was dry (the CRC stuff from Autozone in the pressurized can). when you put the casing back together, it'll ooze out...just wipe off the excess and call it a day. While you're at it, a bit of dielectric grease in all the connectors isn't a bad idea. Do this and you'll never have that problem again. (I have the '18 CRF450RX...had that problem once)
Thanks for the info, I took a look at the kill switch and really can’t figure out how it come apart. Any instruction on disassembling the kill switch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
5/22/2019 7:49am
My kid bought a 2019 CRF250R that had less than 1/2 hour on it. The guy bought it and then never wanted to ride it?? It sat for about 5 months. Anyways, we charged the battery and it ran great on the track and the battery died after about 40 minutes. I assumed the battery was bad, so I bought a new fire power and it was charging at 13.9 volts. It ran this time for about an hour and it was dead again. I charged it up again and it starts right up. Could the kill switch be causing the battery to drain when its running? I was leaning towards the stator. This bike probably has less than 3 hours ride time ad maybe an hour of trouble shooting.
fourfourone
5/22/2019 8:52am
check the kill switch. I ride with a ton of honda guys and most of them have had the same problem.
holeshot413
Fantasy
1651st
5/22/2019 8:55am
My sons 18 Honda just stopped running on the gate. Tried to push start real quick and nothing.
Ran to truck and loosened kill switch bike started running,
It was a bad kill switch
Ordered a new one and been good since
5/22/2019 10:38am
Thanks - Are the new switches any different? Did Honda do anything different to the new switches?

Post a reply to: 2019 Honda crf450rwe WILL NOT START!

The Latest