AER Fork Assistance

ChubbyCat113
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 11:07am
I took out the OEM Schraders valve and put in one of the Works Connection EZ Air Fill valves. I torqued the EZ Air Fill down and added air back into the fork. I run 156psi and if I leave the pump on it stays at 156psi. Just as a precaution I checked the psi with a gauge and it showed around 140psi. I put the pump back on and it registers around 140psi so then I pump back up to 156psi. Am I just being too particular? It held at around 140psi for about 2 hours. I know there can be variances between gauges but I don't want to be riding and losing air.

Any suggestions?

|
dmm698
1/5/2019 12:00pm
When you screw on the pump, or the gage, you’re releasing air volume from the fork bladder into the gage to register the pressure. This is why your pressure is lower when you check it. Set it with a zero loss device and leave it.
ChubbyCat113
1/5/2019 12:06pm
dmm698 wrote:
When you screw on the pump, or the gage, you’re releasing air volume from the fork bladder into the gage to register the pressure. This is...
When you screw on the pump, or the gage, you’re releasing air volume from the fork bladder into the gage to register the pressure. This is why your pressure is lower when you check it. Set it with a zero loss device and leave it.
So if I screw my pump on and pump to 156psi I shouldn't be losing 16psi when taking it off.

I could see losing some using a regular gauge.

What would a zero loss device consist of?
dmm698
1/5/2019 12:16pm
dmm698 wrote:
When you screw on the pump, or the gage, you’re releasing air volume from the fork bladder into the gage to register the pressure. This is...
So if I screw my pump on and pump to 156psi I shouldn't be losing 16psi when taking it off. I could see losing some using...
So if I screw my pump on and pump to 156psi I shouldn't be losing 16psi when taking it off.

I could see losing some using a regular gauge.

What would a zero loss device consist of?
No you’re missing the point. You’re not losing pressure if you use a zero loss pump. You’re losing volume (and there for pressure) when you RECHECK the pressure after setting it.

If you are not using a zero loss pressure fitting I recommend getting one.
aees
1/5/2019 5:29pm
You should not lose 16 psi, maximum 2-3psi at least with a pump. If there is a poor match between the valve and the pump you might lose more before they seal up.

With a air gauge it may get be bigger volume you need to fill up when conneing. But no need for the gauge, air pump is conistt. If the value is accurate or not does not matter that much unless you switch between pumps.

The Shop

blaze 57
1/6/2019 9:36am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 9:43am
I'm not even losing a pound if I recheck mine. If it is set at 140lbs its still 140 on the re-check. I kept checking this over and over when I was new to the AER's because I was fearing air loss taking the gauge on and off because of the volume being so small combined with a high pressure system. I'm just not seeing a measurable air loss because of the gauge or shrader valve. I was worried over nothing. Now it does lose air if is has sat for a couple weeks but that has been my only non issue. Despite the air checking thing between moto's etc I LOVE these forks!
riv187
1/6/2019 11:07am
I lose approx 8psi when installing my wp aer pump. This is with me running 120-135s pressures . That is the amount of air that it takes to fill the 8" line and gauge and neutralize. Running higher pressures it would be a greater loss to fill and neutralize I believe.

Post a reply to: AER Fork Assistance

The Latest