AER conversion (mxtech lucky/tech touch/Fc spring conversion)

opyguy
Edited Date/Time 2/17/2022 7:33am
Hi ,
Need to do a rebuild on my AER’s, for the price point I’d rather look at the above conversions. Can anyone who has done the above tell me whether they were satisfied as well as the pros or cons thanks.
|
valvinglogic
1/5/2020 10:36pm
I can give you my two cents worth on the spring conversions I am familiar with. This will be generic info as you didn't mention your bike.

Don't know anything about lucky.
Technical touch has a KYB conversion. That is the priciest but will probably work the best. You will need to do the valving as it comes without shims or recommended starting stacks.
Don't know specifically about the FC spring conversion.

I do know about spring conversions in general. You want one that has external preload adjustment. That makes a HUGE difference in tuning the bike. You will also have to revalve the damper side. The stock valving is designed for the air fork, and that is a complete different animal. IMO, it will not work well with a spring fork.

Unless you like the air fork characteristics, an average tuned spring conversion will outshine any air spring setup. And a well tuned spring conversion will be that much better.
Hammer 663s
1/6/2020 11:13am
MX Tech lucky system Gen 2 is out. Talk to JB Covington at JB Rides, or the guys at N2Dirt. JB likes the K-Tech conversion too.

I'm having JB do his Pro Setup on my AER soon. He says no one has yet come back to go cartridge after having it done.

Hammer
rob162
1/7/2020 12:40am
Lucky all the way! They ride just like cone valves forks and almost as light as the aer air fork. I currently have a set in my kx125 and it's ridiculous how good they are on that bike. IV rode them on a 450sx and they are so much better than the stock or even revalved aers
BobPA
1/7/2020 9:37am
I rode my friends Lucky system for a few days when I took a trip out west......They felt fantastic. I believe his were the first generation.

The Shop

MXer391
1/7/2020 10:14am
opyguy wrote:
Hi , Need to do a rebuild on my AER’s, for the price point I’d rather look at the above conversions. Can anyone who has done...
Hi ,
Need to do a rebuild on my AER’s, for the price point I’d rather look at the above conversions. Can anyone who has done the above tell me whether they were satisfied as well as the pros or cons thanks.
I'm in the same boat as you. I was just about to post the same thing. I've had two different revalves on two sets of AERs on my 350 SXFs and have never felt they were great. I will admit that I have been learning much more on tuning them though and maybe I will find a good setting. The KYB conversion aint cheap.
MotoMatt_928
1/7/2020 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 12:36pm
Gen one Lucky's on my 16' Husky (with 17' AER forks) and love them. Jeremy and the boys do great work, and you will be happy you made the switch.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
1/7/2020 5:48pm
You also need to look at the K-tech kit and the Dal Soggio Sphere Kit. Lots happening when it comes to this conversion. Racetech also does a conversion too.
HackMan162
1/8/2020 3:40pm
I can give you my two cents worth on the spring conversions I am familiar with. This will be generic info as you didn't mention your...
I can give you my two cents worth on the spring conversions I am familiar with. This will be generic info as you didn't mention your bike.

Technical touch has a KYB conversion. That is the priciest but will probably work the best. You will need to do the valving as it comes without shims or recommended starting stacks.

I do know about spring conversions in general. You want one that has external preload adjustment. That makes a HUGE difference in tuning the bike. You will also have to revalve the damper side. The stock valving is designed for the air fork, and that is a complete different animal. IMO, it will not work well with a spring fork.

Unless you like the air fork characteristics, an average tuned spring conversion will outshine any air spring setup. And a well tuned spring conversion will be that much better.
Technical Touch KYB and MX-Tech Lucky are dual spring conversions. There is no more valving left over from the AER fork. Technical Touch and MX-Tech both set these up to the rider's spec when they are ordered. They will come with the correct springs, and valving will be in the ballpark.

My Lucky's are being built right now. Can't wait to test them out!
Hammer 663s
1/8/2020 4:07pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Technical Touch KYB and MX-Tech Lucky are dual spring conversions. There is no more valving left over from the AER fork. Technical Touch and MX-Tech both...
Technical Touch KYB and MX-Tech Lucky are dual spring conversions. There is no more valving left over from the AER fork. Technical Touch and MX-Tech both set these up to the rider's spec when they are ordered. They will come with the correct springs, and valving will be in the ballpark.

Are you getting the Gen 2 version? What will they go on, and what's your weight/skill? Interested in your thoughts after you get them back and put some time on them.

Hammer
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
1/8/2020 10:44pm
I can give you my two cents worth on the spring conversions I am familiar with. This will be generic info as you didn't mention your...

Thank you for joining! Bob @motovate racing is my suspension guy and he talks so highly of you
HackMan162
1/9/2020 6:59am
HackMan162 wrote:
Technical Touch KYB and MX-Tech Lucky are dual spring conversions. There is no more valving left over from the AER fork. Technical Touch and MX-Tech both...

Are you getting the Gen 2 version? What will they go on, and what's your weight/skill? Interested in your thoughts after you get them back and...
Are you getting the Gen 2 version? What will they go on, and what's your weight/skill? Interested in your thoughts after you get them back and put some time on them.

Hammer
Yeah, getting the Gen2 version. They are going on 2018 KTM 450SX FE. Setup for 230lbs +50A moto.
I will let you know how they are. Having the shock re-done as well, with bladder conversion.
Hammer 663s
1/9/2020 8:24am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2020 8:25am
HackMan162 wrote:
Yeah, getting the Gen2 version. They are going on 2018 KTM 450SX FE. Setup for 230lbs +50A moto. I will let you know how they are...
Yeah, getting the Gen2 version. They are going on 2018 KTM 450SX FE. Setup for 230lbs +50A moto.
I will let you know how they are. Having the shock re-done as well, with bladder conversion.
MX Tech sent me this on the Gen 2: Our G2 Lucky system is a platform designed for applications where more total damping are required. Faster conditions or riders. It’s larger volume, sealed cartridge, bigger Huck Valves etc. still very light low friction. Depending on the rider and applications I may not recommend it over v1.

At 185 and Vet Intermediate I'm probably better off with the Gen 1, which is still in production too.
ChubbyCat113
1/10/2020 6:10am
MX Tech Lucky all the way! I put them on my 17 450 and love them! Corey Smith with ProTune Suspension in Wellston Ohio did mine.
HackMan162
2/4/2020 6:19am
Finally got out this weekend on my MX Tech Lucky conversion. Also had the rear shock done with Lanier bladder conversion.
Initial thoughts. I can finally feel the front end going into turns! This is very confidence inspiring and found I could take a few of the turns a gear higher than before because I had the confidence to carry more speed into the turns!
Bottoming resistance was great, while also being able to absorb the small chatter.
The shock worked really, really good, especially in the high speed rollers type of terrain.

Now that I got some time on it, next weekend I will be working with my tuner to fine-tune the settings. Out of the box, it was really good. I am looking forward to really doing the fine tuning and seeing how good these things can be.
Hammer 663s
2/4/2020 10:24am
HackMan162 wrote:
Finally got out this weekend on my MX Tech Lucky conversion. Also had the rear shock done with Lanier bladder conversion. Initial thoughts. I can finally...
Finally got out this weekend on my MX Tech Lucky conversion. Also had the rear shock done with Lanier bladder conversion.
Initial thoughts. I can finally feel the front end going into turns! This is very confidence inspiring and found I could take a few of the turns a gear higher than before because I had the confidence to carry more speed into the turns!
Bottoming resistance was great, while also being able to absorb the small chatter.
The shock worked really, really good, especially in the high speed rollers type of terrain.

Now that I got some time on it, next weekend I will be working with my tuner to fine-tune the settings. Out of the box, it was really good. I am looking forward to really doing the fine tuning and seeing how good these things can be.
Good review. What style track? Outdoor, sand, loam, hardpack?

Who did the work, and ballpark, what $$$ do you have into it?

I'm not going to do bladder - they are somewhat permeable and will bleed down over time so more frequent oil/nitrogen servicing will be required. I might look at the MX Tech Tank tho - still a piston kit, but bigger piston and low friction so small bump compliance will be good, maybe not as good as a bladder. I'm not good enough to tell the difference I'm sure. Smile

Thanks, and keep passing on your opinions on your setup.
AJ565
2/4/2020 10:58am
HackMan162 wrote:
Finally got out this weekend on my MX Tech Lucky conversion. Also had the rear shock done with Lanier bladder conversion. Initial thoughts. I can finally...

I didn't see this before or that you're in Austin, but If you want we can swap my cone valves to your bike and you can get a feel of those too. I'm riding next Sunday, just not sure where yet.
HackMan162
2/4/2020 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2020 6:13pm
HackMan162 wrote:

Good review. What style track? Outdoor, sand, loam, hardpack? Who did the work, and ballpark, what $$$ do you have into it? I'm not going to...
Good review. What style track? Outdoor, sand, loam, hardpack?

Who did the work, and ballpark, what $$$ do you have into it?

I'm not going to do bladder - they are somewhat permeable and will bleed down over time so more frequent oil/nitrogen servicing will be required. I might look at the MX Tech Tank tho - still a piston kit, but bigger piston and low friction so small bump compliance will be good, maybe not as good as a bladder. I'm not good enough to tell the difference I'm sure. Smile

Thanks, and keep passing on your opinions on your setup.
The track was Murphy's MX in Austin area. Well prepped that gets choppy in the afternoons. Intermediate dirt, with a little bit hard base. Small to medium size jumps.

The inserts are just under $1000, with springs. It was time for a refresh on seals/bushings too, so some added cost there.

Cory at Specific Suspension did the work. He had a lot of dialog with Jeremy at MX-Tech when he ordered the kit. I am not an easy guy to satisfy suspension-wise. I am tall, 6'4 and move around on the bike a lot. Also, 230 lbs. I have rheumatoid arthritis that affects my hands a lot, so I need a fairly plush setup, but also can't handle harsh bottoming because my hands dont have the strength to hang on in that situation sometimes. Cory talked to Jeremy about all of this for the setup. I think they hit a home run. I can't wait until Saturday to start tweaking things a bit and really dialing it in.
HackMan162
2/4/2020 6:12pm
HackMan162 wrote:

AJ565 wrote:
I didn't see this before or that you're in Austin, but If you want we can swap my cone valves to your bike and you can...
I didn't see this before or that you're in Austin, but If you want we can swap my cone valves to your bike and you can get a feel of those too. I'm riding next Sunday, just not sure where yet.
Thats a great offer, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I am pretty tough to get a setup with my height/weight. Cory and I talked a lot about Cone Valves, but in the end decided to go this direction.
AJ565
2/5/2020 6:05am
HackMan162 wrote:
Thats a great offer, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I am pretty tough to get a setup with my height/weight. Cory and I...
Thats a great offer, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I am pretty tough to get a setup with my height/weight. Cory and I talked a lot about Cone Valves, but in the end decided to go this direction.
Whats your weight and height?
Tuna
2/5/2020 6:15am
HackMan162 wrote:
Thats a great offer, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I am pretty tough to get a setup with my height/weight. Cory and I...
AJ565 wrote:
Read his post above.
AJ565
2/5/2020 11:46am
HackMan162 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Tuna wrote:
Read his post above.
I missed that part, Thank you.

I also went back a little farther in the thread, we met at Cycle Ranch during the Fly day. I was parked over with Yimy. I think he just did some graphics for your bike to right?
HackMan162
2/5/2020 1:19pm
AJ565 wrote:
Tuna wrote:
Read his post above.
AJ565 wrote:
I missed that part, Thank you. I also went back a little farther in the thread, we met at Cycle Ranch during the Fly day. I...
I missed that part, Thank you.

I also went back a little farther in the thread, we met at Cycle Ranch during the Fly day. I was parked over with Yimy. I think he just did some graphics for your bike to right?
Yeah...I remember you now. Heading to Spoaks on Saturday with Cory to do some fine tuning.
Hammer 663s
2/10/2020 11:40am
HackMan162 wrote:
The track was Murphy's MX in Austin area. Well prepped that gets choppy in the afternoons. Intermediate dirt, with a little bit hard base. Small to...
The track was Murphy's MX in Austin area. Well prepped that gets choppy in the afternoons. Intermediate dirt, with a little bit hard base. Small to medium size jumps.

The inserts are just under $1000, with springs. It was time for a refresh on seals/bushings too, so some added cost there.

Cory at Specific Suspension did the work. He had a lot of dialog with Jeremy at MX-Tech when he ordered the kit. I am not an easy guy to satisfy suspension-wise. I am tall, 6'4 and move around on the bike a lot. Also, 230 lbs. I have rheumatoid arthritis that affects my hands a lot, so I need a fairly plush setup, but also can't handle harsh bottoming because my hands dont have the strength to hang on in that situation sometimes. Cory talked to Jeremy about all of this for the setup. I think they hit a home run. I can't wait until Saturday to start tweaking things a bit and really dialing it in.
You get any more time on them?

I just sent mine off to get the Gen 1 system installed. I'm also doing a revalve on the shock + the MXT Tank. Can't wait to get them back and give it a try. I love my FC350 but don't trust the front end. If that gets fixed I will be very happy.

Hammer
BobPA
2/11/2020 10:55am
I have a Gen 1 system sitting on my work bench as we speak. Jeremy recommended it over the Gen 2 as I am putting it in my woods bike. Had to order a tool for fork lug removal.....probably should have shipped my forks out for install, but I am cheap.
Hammer 663s
3/12/2020 11:43am
Got my suspension back from MX Tech a couple weeks ago, and have gotten 2 rides in on my private track since then. Track is not groomed, has plenty of small chop into and out of corners, loose dirt in the bowl turns, ruts, a little mud, a little hardpack. Spun 100s of laps on this track and know every inch of it well.

Initial impressions are vastly improved small bump compliance, especially going over small chop on entry, on gas or under braking. Forks hold up well, then settle in very predictably under load. My confidence in what the front wheel is doing/is about to do is much higher than with the air spring, even on a worn MX33 front. Overshooting a landing results in less spike even at 195 rider weight.

Only played with the compression damping a little bit. 12 clicks out was MX Tech setting. I've gone softer by 2 and it was noticeable, and I think I bottomed it (or came close) once at that setting. I haven't gone stiffer yet but will next time out. I do like that I haven't touched an air pump at all.

Shock seems well matched to the fork. Haven't touched a thing on it from as-delivered settings. I will play with it a little more once I prep the track and get some more seat time. Spring riding weather is sketch here in the PNW.

Hammer
red_leader
3/12/2020 9:00pm
Does anyone know anything about the new Lucky Carbon inserts?
They just came out, but I can't find much info.
Hammer 663s
3/22/2020 7:31pm
I've got about 5 hours on the MX Tech Lucky Gen 1 now. 3 different tracks, 2 clay-based and 1 sand. Very happy with the fork. I don't miss the AER air at all. I am faster everywhere, with way more confidence in small chop, big holes, and big landings. I was hitting a 70' table today, a fast 3rd gear huck that lands into a lot of braking bumps into the following corner. Never even a moment of sketch, even the 2 times I overjumped it a bit and landed at the bottom of the ramp. Just soaked it up and took on the braking bumps, no issues. Massive improvement over stock.

I still haven't touched the shock. It's spot on for me as delivered.

This setup has made my '18 FC350 a real pleasure to ride, and a weapon in the right hands. (not mine!)

Hammer
5/1/2020 9:10am
I've recently gotten my suspension back from MX-Tech. I got the Gen 2 carbon lucky kit and shock revalve with their MXT tank. I have a 2018 KTM 350SXF, i ride moto only. Blown away at how much better that made my bike for me, it does great in the chop, chunk holes, to larger jumps. It was previously done by Kreft with the revalve control, and they get awesome reviews, but i could never get it to work well and make me as comfortable as i wanted. Just too many setting options for me. If you are debating the Mx tech lucky, quit thinking and just do it. You wont be disappointed. You can over jump, under jump, whatever and it soaks it all up.
Hammer 663s
5/1/2020 9:24am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2020 9:25am
I've recently gotten my suspension back from MX-Tech. I got the Gen 2 carbon lucky kit and shock revalve with their MXT tank. I have a...
I've recently gotten my suspension back from MX-Tech. I got the Gen 2 carbon lucky kit and shock revalve with their MXT tank. I have a 2018 KTM 350SXF, i ride moto only. Blown away at how much better that made my bike for me, it does great in the chop, chunk holes, to larger jumps. It was previously done by Kreft with the revalve control, and they get awesome reviews, but i could never get it to work well and make me as comfortable as i wanted. Just too many setting options for me. If you are debating the Mx tech lucky, quit thinking and just do it. You wont be disappointed. You can over jump, under jump, whatever and it soaks it all up.
That's my experience with the Lucky Gen 1 on my 18 FC350. I've got 15+ hours on them now.

Are you big and/or fast? I'm a 190lb Vet Int (i.e. slow) and decided after conversations with MX Tech that the Gen 2 was probably overkill for me.

Hammer
5/1/2020 9:48am
That's my experience with the Lucky Gen 1 on my 18 FC350. I've got 15+ hours on them now. Are you big and/or fast? I'm a...
That's my experience with the Lucky Gen 1 on my 18 FC350. I've got 15+ hours on them now.

Are you big and/or fast? I'm a 190lb Vet Int (i.e. slow) and decided after conversations with MX Tech that the Gen 2 was probably overkill for me.

Hammer
I've gotten about 4 hours on them so far. Im 170lb Vet Int, after talking with them i went on with the Carbon. Naturally i cant compare but im 110% satisfied with it. I went 2 clicks softer on the comp and havnt touched anything else. I questioned at first, i told them im a good rider, but i'm def not a pro. Since i ride strictly moto, thats the direction we went. I will say my speed has picked up everytime i've been on it, and i think there's still more room for gains as i get more comfortable with the setup, its nice having a plush predictable front end.

Post a reply to: AER conversion (mxtech lucky/tech touch/Fc spring conversion)

The Latest