Anyone done Aer 48 to Kyb Conversion?

JoeKtm2
Hi,

I know the conversion from wp cc to kyb is possible but was wondering if it was possible on the aer 48?

Is it just a case of getting some wp cc lugs and bottem cones to add on on the aer 48 forks, Plus the rebound adjuster machining and top cap to fit through clamps?

Or can the wp cc bottem cones fit in the aer 48 feet?

Thanks
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/4/2017 5:46am
I don’t think you need to change the lugs. You can convert 4CS which have the same lugs as the AER I believe.

Check out this video of Ping testing a setup by Kreft, it’s pretty interesting, kinda makes me want to try it.
https://youtu.be/hroOrkLzy7c
ben5020
12/4/2017 6:06am
Call Jeremy kready from evo suspension in pa he can hook you up. I ended up getting kyb lugs made for ktm/husky axle/brakes as well as a set of xtrig triples made for the conversion. A bottoming cone washer had to be machined I believe but that's about all that needed done. I absolutely love this setup on my 17 fc350 and will never run airforks again.
slipdog
12/4/2017 6:19am
You can get a complete KYB kit with billet factory lugs from Technical Touch that drop into 4cs or AER.
ben5020
12/4/2017 6:31am
slipdog wrote:
You can get a complete KYB kit with billet factory lugs from Technical Touch that drop into 4cs or AER.
Yes you are correct and they will run you about 5000.00

The Shop

slipdog
12/4/2017 6:58am
slipdog wrote:
ben5020 wrote:
Yes you are correct and they will run you about 5000.00
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't mean the the complete fork. They have a WP conversion kit now with the cartridge, lugs and bottoming cones that drop into 4cs or AER forks and you don't have to do any machining. All you do is swap the lugs off your WP forks and they're about $1500.
JoeKtm2
12/4/2017 11:53am
Thanks, i think i may go down the route of wp cc to kyb seems to be very easy, unless i can get some more info on how to do the swap on the aer 48 :/
ben5020
12/4/2017 2:00pm
JoeKtm2 wrote:
Thanks, i think i may go down the route of wp cc to kyb seems to be very easy, unless i can get some more info...
Thanks, i think i may go down the route of wp cc to kyb seems to be very easy, unless i can get some more info on how to do the swap on the aer 48 :/
I might be upgrading my setup to the A kit so if your interested I'd sell mine for 2500.00
Henry_Van
12/4/2017 5:40pm
JoeKtm2 wrote:
Hi, I know the conversion from wp cc to kyb is possible but was wondering if it was possible on the aer 48? Is it just...
Hi,

I know the conversion from wp cc to kyb is possible but was wondering if it was possible on the aer 48?

Is it just a case of getting some wp cc lugs and bottem cones to add on on the aer 48 forks, Plus the rebound adjuster machining and top cap to fit through clamps?

Thanks
I did Cory at Protune Suspenshion did it night and day totally incredible bike now cost about $980 shipping included highly recommended him just hard to get a hold of him
JoeKtm2
12/4/2017 11:56pm
Thanks guys, id like to do the kit myself really. Not just cause of the money but to hnderstand how it all matches up, im going to get a set of kyb sss and mesure it all up.

swatdoc
12/15/2017 8:44pm
With this conversion, is it possible to keep the damping side and the air/spring side separate? In other words, could you replace the AER damping internals with the KYB SSS internals just on the right fork, then have the option of either spring conversion or air on the left side? Or - does the SSS system absolutely have to have both legs be damping and spring like on the YZs? If both sides need spring and dampers, that would add several pounds of weight I would think. Does anyone know the weight added to AERs when converting to the Dal Soggio setup? I know that puts damping and springs in both forks.
Bruce372
12/16/2017 10:27am
swatdoc wrote:
With this conversion, is it possible to keep the damping side and the air/spring side separate? In other words, could you replace the AER damping internals...
With this conversion, is it possible to keep the damping side and the air/spring side separate? In other words, could you replace the AER damping internals with the KYB SSS internals just on the right fork, then have the option of either spring conversion or air on the left side? Or - does the SSS system absolutely have to have both legs be damping and spring like on the YZs? If both sides need spring and dampers, that would add several pounds of weight I would think. Does anyone know the weight added to AERs when converting to the Dal Soggio setup? I know that puts damping and springs in both forks.
Lol. The whole purpose of the aer fork is to save 3lbs. If you go to one spring or two, it's still gonna ads weight to get the correct spring rate.
swatdoc
12/16/2017 4:07pm
wouldn't a single sided spring setup weigh less than springs on both sides? And if you could install the SSS into just one leg, you could always just keep air on the other side keeping the weight down
Bruce372
12/16/2017 4:13pm
swatdoc wrote:
wouldn't a single sided spring setup weigh less than springs on both sides? And if you could install the SSS into just one leg, you could...
wouldn't a single sided spring setup weigh less than springs on both sides? And if you could install the SSS into just one leg, you could always just keep air on the other side keeping the weight down
If you have one spring, it needs to be twice as stiff and so needs twice the metal and still weighs the same as 2 springs.

For the damping, you take one cartridge away, the other has to do twice the damping.

Imo the aer is one of the best production forks ever.... I've seen people running them at pro national levels, so this fork definitely isn't holding back us mere mortals
LumpDog841
12/16/2017 7:13pm
slipdog wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't mean the the complete fork. They have a WP conversion kit now with the cartridge, lugs and bottoming cones...
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't mean the the complete fork. They have a WP conversion kit now with the cartridge, lugs and bottoming cones that drop into 4cs or AER forks and you don't have to do any machining. All you do is swap the lugs off your WP forks and they're about $1500.
Damn, wish I had known this about a year ago.
JoeKtm2
12/17/2017 11:53am
UPDATE:

I wanted to use the wp cc bottem cones so i contact wp france, really cheap 16e each only problem is there is no delivery date... So could be here in 6months time... So, im getting some cones made up next week.

The only problem i will have now is that the cartridges will bottem on the bottem of the cone BEFORE the tubes. I need an extra 1cm length.

I suppose my options are:

1/ get some dlc yz tubes
2/ add a spacer on the top of the cartridge so it bottems on the tube??

Any recomendations??
305FC250
12/19/2017 3:36am
You really dislike the AER stuff that much to go through all this work?
JoeKtm2
12/19/2017 4:45am
I just love the kyb, ive started now so Wink i still dont like the idea of just air holding the fork up anyway.
Cadpro18
12/19/2017 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 3:18pm
JoeKtm2 wrote:
Hi, I know the conversion from wp cc to kyb is possible but was wondering if it was possible on the aer 48? Is it just...
Hi,

Thanks
To convert my 4CS to SSS I actually used AER 48 lugs. I had SSS in my WP CC forks and with AER lugs the SSS/WP stuff bolted right in. The KYB rebound adjuster was re-threaded and the cartridge rod jam nut was shortened to allow the rod to go in farther, letting the tubes bottom.
Premix
12/19/2017 3:23pm
Cadpro18 wrote:
To convert my 4CS to SSS I actually used AER 48 lugs. I had SSS in my WP CC forks and with AER lugs the SSS/WP...
To convert my 4CS to SSS I actually used AER 48 lugs. I had SSS in my WP CC forks and with AER lugs the SSS/WP stuff bolted right in. The KYB rebound adjuster was re-threaded and the cartridge rod jam nut was shortened to allow the rod to go in farther, letting the tubes bottom.
Interested. Did you do the conversion yourself?
Cadpro18
12/19/2017 3:45pm
Cadpro18 wrote:
To convert my 4CS to SSS I actually used AER 48 lugs. I had SSS in my WP CC forks and with AER lugs the SSS/WP...
Premix wrote:
Interested. Did you do the conversion yourself?
Cory at Protune did the original conversion to the CC forks. I removed the cartridges and his modified parts and put the stock stuff back in when I sold it.
m21racing
12/19/2017 4:50pm
Maybe off topic a bit, but a psf 1 conversion would split lanes nicely here. Still lighter than spring forks, and we're very reliable. I know, if a seal blows they are compromised. But, with skf seals, mud scrapers, and proper assembly; they work. The lightness with aer is an advantage. The psf design has bigger cartridges, and have been very durable. We top 20'd at national with them. The seals lasted the entire service interval. They are offered as a kit from tech touch. I have not seen a retro-fit to the wp lugs, but could be done. They are my favorite air fork.

Post a reply to: Anyone done Aer 48 to Kyb Conversion?

The Latest