CR125 Air Striker Carb Swap

So ive done a lot of research and everything ive ever heard about people putting air striker carbs on Honda 125s is all positive. I finally broke down and got one off of ebay (came off of a 2000 KX250). I'm wondering if any other vital members have done this and what I can expect when I get the carb. If you have done this what did you experience when jetting it for the 125? Does anyone have a rough idea of what I should start with? I know that I can and probably will end up just "plugging and playing" with it to get it right but if someone on here has done it and could point me in the right direction to start out I would appreciate any feedback.

The bike it is going on is a 2005 CR125 with a Millennium Tech 144 kit and I'm at 3,500 ft of elevation.
|
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/18/2017 9:02am
The problem with using that 00' KX 250 carb, on your 125, is the that the oem slide in that carb is a #8, also it uses a different top/ throttle cable connection. The throttle cable connection is easy enough to fix, but I would recommend that you use a different, richer, slide than the #8.

The jetting specs that are listed above are for a pwk with a #7 slide.
8/18/2017 9:30am
digger wrote:
The problem with using that 00' KX 250 carb, on your 125, is the that the oem slide in that carb is a #8, also it...
The problem with using that 00' KX 250 carb, on your 125, is the that the oem slide in that carb is a #8, also it uses a different top/ throttle cable connection. The throttle cable connection is easy enough to fix, but I would recommend that you use a different, richer, slide than the #8.

The jetting specs that are listed above are for a pwk with a #7 slide.
I did read somewhere that the 5.5 seems to work good in the 125's. Also what does it take to fix the throttle cable issue?

Thanks for the replies.
8/18/2017 12:04pm
So ive done a little shopping around and it looks like I wont be able to get a 5.5 (not easily anyways) so I will have to go with either a 5 or 6. Any thoughts on which would be the better bet? I would imagine I want to get a 5 but what do I know, I'm just learning as I go.

The Shop

Mx746
8/19/2017 4:02am
There seems to be a slide shortage I've been waiting for one for 6 weeks
8/21/2017 11:05am
Mx746 wrote:
Where did you order it from and what slide are you waiting on exactly?
Mx746
8/21/2017 1:22pm
Mx746 wrote:
Where did you order it from and what slide are you waiting on exactly?
I bought a pwk from cpw, there was a back order issue, but it's back on track now. Cpw has been excellent with getting information back to me about what was happening with the order and they didn't charge to change out the slide so all is good.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/21/2017 2:07pm
So ive done a little shopping around and it looks like I wont be able to get a 5.5 (not easily anyways) so I will have...
So ive done a little shopping around and it looks like I wont be able to get a 5.5 (not easily anyways) so I will have to go with either a 5 or 6. Any thoughts on which would be the better bet? I would imagine I want to get a 5 but what do I know, I'm just learning as I go.
If you are going to use the single taper needle that is listed above, you will want to use either a 6.5 of 7.0 slide. You can use a richer slide, but it will run rougher down low. I used a #7 slide in my 07' cr125 with the CCL needle in the #4 clip with a 50 or 52 pilot and a 185 main. You could get away with a 182 main in the heat.

CCL needle--https://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/017_464_su.html

#7 slide--https://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/018_522_su.html

I have alway used https://www.jetsrus.com/index.html without an issue.
8/21/2017 4:20pm
Awesome, thank you guys so much for the info, carb showed up today so when I get a little free time I will start playing with it.

Digger you had mentioned that the throttle cable is an easy fix? I'm a very competent mechanic and my dad is a welder so there isn't much I cant do. Do I just need to take my dremel and whack the top curved piece off of the KX's throttle cable guide?
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/22/2017 5:15am
I think there is a clip on the under side of the top that holds the swivel in place. Once that is removed you are going to use the cable guide from your Mikuni carb(the part that screws into the top of the carb) without the locking nut, so you will have to tap the hole for the threaded guide. I forget what size/ pitch needed to be used. After you do that, you will be able to use the stock throttle cable, but it should be run down the right hand side of the frame.
8/29/2017 3:07pm
Just thought I would give an update on this incase anyone else is considering it for their own bike.

I went ahead and got the 6.5 slide with the CCL needle. Ordered from jetsrus.com and had the slide and needle within a few days, would definitely purchase from them again! The main jet that I have in right now is a 182.
This bike does have cutouts in the air box so it gets a little bit more air than normal so I went ahead and put the needle in the 3rd clip. It runs pretty dang good! It is just a tad rich (cant really feel it but it does have a little splooge coming out of the silencer). If it was late spring/summer time here I would move the needle but it is going to start cooling off here pretty soon so I will just leave it in the 3rd clip and it should be about perfect here in 2-3 weeks. As for the TPS, the sensors didn't swap across like I thought they maybe would so after consulting with Kawasaki-rider I just left it unplugged and it doesn't seem to mess with the bike at all. As for the throttle cable hook-up that was a bit of an engineering project. The kawi guide seemed to be fixed into the carb cap and there was no way to remove it. After a little dremel action I had that out and then the hole that it went through was too big for me to thread the other guide into. So after some brainstorming I ended up using the nut off the old carbs guide and putting it on the underside of the new cap and then filing down the top just a bit so the old guide would grab all of the threads in the nut on the other side and then I used red lock-tite to make sure it wasn't going to loosen up on me. Got it all hooked up and it worked perfectly. (If that didn't make much sense and you would like to see what I did let me know and I will take some pictures)

Now that its all said and done I am drinking the Kool-Aid that this is a must do mod. It is cheap and fairly simple and the results are night and day! The power is smooth as butter and no hickups anywhere. Thank you Digger and Kawi-rider for the helpful tips and advice!
YamahaJT1
8/31/2017 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 2:12pm
This may well set you free... 05' CR125. Wow, what a nice carb. No Fuss. No Muss. Excellent power delivery in many conditions.

Oh BTW for those who may give a fuck...

Proper Throttle cable? Do not order it from Lectron. Both versions they provide are way too short.

For the 36mm Lectron "Shorty", contact Motion Pro. 05'-07' Honda CR125 needs THROTTLE: 07-1366 HL + 7" **ELIMINATE INLINE ADJUSTER**

Post a reply to: CR125 Air Striker Carb Swap

The Latest