Cam Journal Repair?

SOB426
Edited Date/Time 5/3/2018 4:48pm
Hey everyone, first time poster here. So, long story short I grenaded my 2007 RMZ 250 years ago being young and dumb.?‍♂️ Also young and dumb me purchased a used head off ebay, lost interest and put the bike in the shed to sit for three years. Recently I revisited the project and tore into this used head I bought. The good news, valves and seats look awesome, minor shimming needed. The really bad news, I bought a head with a wrecked intake cam journal. I have been calling around with the possibility of having it repaired, but keep coming up short. Has anyone dealt with this situation and had any luck with having them repaired? If I can get away with using this head it would be a lifesaver!
|
walent215
5/2/2018 9:46pm
N2dirt salvaged an older rmz450 head for me years back. Did a great job .
SOB426
5/2/2018 9:53pm
I will give them a call in the a.m. I know you said years back but do you know if they still do engine work like that? Checked out there website and it looks like they just do suspension work?

Thanks!
walent215
5/3/2018 4:29am
SOB426 wrote:
I will give them a call in the a.m. I know you said years back but do you know if they still do engine work like...
I will give them a call in the a.m. I know you said years back but do you know if they still do engine work like that? Checked out there website and it looks like they just do suspension work?

Thanks!
I'm sure he still does engine work

The Shop

SOB426
5/3/2018 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2018 12:09pm
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be sending it to Engine Dynamics. I had been in touch with him before your recommendation, 526. Had sent him pics and just got the green light from Mike to send it his way! I'll post pics of the end result! Fingers crossed!
5/3/2018 1:03pm
SOB426 wrote:
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be sending it to Engine Dynamics. I had been in touch with him before your recommendation, 526. Had sent him pics...
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be sending it to Engine Dynamics. I had been in touch with him before your recommendation, 526. Had sent him pics and just got the green light from Mike to send it his way! I'll post pics of the end result! Fingers crossed!
When you get it back be sure to RE wash everything really well.
SOB426
5/3/2018 4:48pm
526 wrote:
When you get it back be sure to RE wash everything really well.
For sure I will do that! Thanks again!
1/17/2024 10:41am
SOB426 wrote:
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be sending it to Engine Dynamics. I had been in touch with him before your recommendation, 526. Had sent him pics...

Do you have any updates/pictures of the head? I just recently bought my first bike which is a 2013 Suzuki RM-Z 250 and it came in a box with a brand new top and bottom end kit. It was a fun project for me and a great learning experience thats for sure. The only thing for keeping me from starting it is the intake side journal is wrecked just like yours was. I would buy a new head but this head was ported and well I definitely don’t have $600 for a new head. I was wondering roughly how much it cost, how good was the quality, and how has it held up over the years? Also do you know if they can polish up a cam too, im not to sure my cam is to far gone but its worth a shot because it’s a stage 2 pro circuit cam and for a new set it’s even more expensive than a brand new head!! I think a new set is around $750 which is just insane but I could also be looking in the wrong place

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/17/2024 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2024 6:44pm
masongross wrote:
Do you have any updates/pictures of the head? I just recently bought my first bike which is a 2013 Suzuki RM-Z 250 and it came in...

Do you have any updates/pictures of the head? I just recently bought my first bike which is a 2013 Suzuki RM-Z 250 and it came in a box with a brand new top and bottom end kit. It was a fun project for me and a great learning experience thats for sure. The only thing for keeping me from starting it is the intake side journal is wrecked just like yours was. I would buy a new head but this head was ported and well I definitely don’t have $600 for a new head. I was wondering roughly how much it cost, how good was the quality, and how has it held up over the years? Also do you know if they can polish up a cam too, im not to sure my cam is to far gone but its worth a shot because it’s a stage 2 pro circuit cam and for a new set it’s even more expensive than a brand new head!! I think a new set is around $750 which is just insane but I could also be looking in the wrong place

@masongross call Engine Dynamics of Petaluma, California. I had a built RMZ head with roached cam journals repaired by them (repair was overbore the journals and install bronze plain bearings for cam journals). They may be able to salvage the cam as well. It's been several years and I don't recall what they charged me. I beat the piss outta that engine at GNCC for several years. Never had an issue with the repairs.

http://www.enginedynamics.com/

1/18/2024 10:12am
@masongross call Engine Dynamics of Petaluma, California. I had a built RMZ head with roached cam journals repaired by them (repair was overbore the journals and...

@masongross call Engine Dynamics of Petaluma, California. I had a built RMZ head with roached cam journals repaired by them (repair was overbore the journals and install bronze plain bearings for cam journals). They may be able to salvage the cam as well. It's been several years and I don't recall what they charged me. I beat the piss outta that engine at GNCC for several years. Never had an issue with the repairs.

http://www.enginedynamics.com/

Alright I’ll call em tomorrow morning or soon if I get the chance. My main concern was basically if it was even worth the money to get it repaired or not because I’ve never had a head that needed to be machined so I didn’t know how they would hold up. But if you’re able to beat the piss out of it and it still holds up then it does sound worth it especially since this is my first bike so no way in hell I’d be able to beat on it that much. Thank you so much!

Post a reply to: Cam Journal Repair?

The Latest