Clicking sound

Ruekoe
6/28/2020 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2020 11:39am
Got done with a ride today and noticed a cracking/click sound when pushing my bike into the garage. I have some slack in the chain so that slaps around a little bit this sounds more like it’s coming from the axle/hub area possibly by the chain guard. I have tusk hubs on there the bearing were replaced all around from the previous owner. Any ideas what to look for? Some bolts were loose on the sprocket but I tightened that and it was still there
|
Factor E
6/28/2020 8:06pm
Check for loose or broken spokes
Paw Paw
6/29/2020 5:54am
Worn chain or sprockets.

PawPaw
6/29/2020 7:35am
Ruekoe wrote:
Got done with a ride today and noticed a cracking/click sound when pushing my bike into the garage. I have some slack in the chain so...
Got done with a ride today and noticed a cracking/click sound when pushing my bike into the garage. I have some slack in the chain so that slaps around a little bit this sounds more like it’s coming from the axle/hub area possibly by the chain guard. I have tusk hubs on there the bearing were replaced all around from the previous owner. Any ideas what to look for? Some bolts were loose on the sprocket but I tightened that and it was still there
Misaligned rear wheel can cause a click.
Ruekoe
6/29/2020 3:38pm
Factor E wrote:
Check for loose or broken spokes
They all seem fine

The Shop

Ruekoe
6/29/2020 3:42pm
Paw Paw wrote:
Worn chain or sprockets.

PawPaw
Sprockets looked good I’m not sure about the chain it is really loose tho I can fit 3 fingers and still have some room. The sound really seems like it’s coming from the hub area. All the bearing were replaced I was told but who knows. This looked kinda funny tho what do you think?
Ruekoe
6/29/2020 3:45pm
Ruekoe wrote:
Got done with a ride today and noticed a cracking/click sound when pushing my bike into the garage. I have some slack in the chain so...
How do you check that? I measured from the axle blocks they both seem about the same distance
Ruekoe
6/29/2020 3:46pm
Ruekoe wrote:
How do you check that? I measured from the axle blocks they both seem about the same distance
Factor E
6/29/2020 3:47pm
Pull wheel and check bearings From what your saying sounds like bearings
Prob never changed or one of the aftermarket shit bearings
Ruekoe
6/29/2020 4:05pm
Factor E wrote:
Pull wheel and check bearings From what your saying sounds like bearings
Prob never changed or one of the aftermarket shit bearings
I’ll pull the wheel soon and check, how can you tell if the bearings are shit after the wheel is off? Also I have tusk impact hubs the bearing kits are out of stock for a minute. Is there any other quality bearings that will fit?
Factor E
6/29/2020 8:12pm
Put axle part way in hub and rock back and forth
Rotate w fingers feel for notchey rotation
Radfonz
6/29/2020 9:11pm
joining link passing through the chain guide?
Ruekoe
6/29/2020 10:14pm
Radfonz wrote:
joining link passing through the chain guide?
That’s what I first thought, it sounded like it was coming from there but I took the chain guide off same noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the axle I’m guessing it’s the bearings or it’s out of alignment but it looked pretty good alignment wise
Ruekoe
6/30/2020 1:30pm
Factor E wrote:
Put axle part way in hub and rock back and forth
Rotate w fingers feel for notchey rotation
I took the chain off it still made the clicking sound so the chain is ruled out. I took the wheel off spun it no notching or anything they seemed pretty smooth. I put the wheel back on finger tight no sound. Maybe it was just out of alignment? The axle blocks diddnt seem like they were at the same length. I did notice the bearings diddnt look aligned very well inside the hub not sure if that matters or not here’s a pic

Factor E
6/30/2020 4:24pm
Does axle slide in smooth or drags going in?
Maybe pre owner didn't seat bearings completely
Ruekoe
6/30/2020 4:40pm
Factor E wrote:
Does axle slide in smooth or drags going in?
Maybe pre owner didn't seat bearings completely
Went in pretty smooth. This alignment seems off what do you think?

Factor E
6/30/2020 7:23pm
I use metal rule(mm) to measure the gap of jam nut to flat of block
or use length of bolt measurement

I never trust block marks
Ruekoe
6/30/2020 7:57pm
Factor E wrote:
I use metal rule(mm) to measure the gap of jam nut to flat of block
or use length of bolt measurement

I never trust block marks
Will counting threads work too?
Paw Paw
6/30/2020 8:30pm
Replace the axle blocks as one is damaged and causing a misalignment and that will cause the chain to ride on the sprocket out of align and cause the noise. If you look at the rear sprocket closely you will see wear marks either on the inside or the out side of the sprocket where the chain is rubbing on it.
The blocks in your photos show them to be out of alignment and one is bent.

Paw Paw
Ruekoe
6/30/2020 11:20pm
Paw Paw wrote:
Replace the axle blocks as one is damaged and causing a misalignment and that will cause the chain to ride on the sprocket out of align...
Replace the axle blocks as one is damaged and causing a misalignment and that will cause the chain to ride on the sprocket out of align and cause the noise. If you look at the rear sprocket closely you will see wear marks either on the inside or the out side of the sprocket where the chain is rubbing on it.

Paw Paw
I new those diddnt look right! I ordered some tusk blocks earlier today actually. Hopefully that solves the issue. Thank you for the help really appreciate it! Ide buy you a beer if I could
Tracktor
7/1/2020 11:39am
Paw Paw wrote:
Replace the axle blocks as one is damaged and causing a misalignment and that will cause the chain to ride on the sprocket out of align...

Paw Paw
I've also had the brake pads click when axle is misaligned especially wave rotors. The rotor pulls on the pads unseating them.....

Post a reply to: Clicking sound

The Latest