Engine painting questions

z71will
Edited Date/Time 7/8/2017 8:02am
I'm currently re painting the engine on my 1984 cr80. The original color is black so that's the color I'm painting it. The engine is already torn apart and the only thing still on the crank cases is the bearings (except for the crank bearings). I used aircraft paint remover and already took off all the paint. After this I rinsed off the cases with water real good and then sanded it all down. After the sanding I rinsed it off with water again. Will water and possibly paint remover have damaged the bearings in any way? I'm worried water will get trapped in there and cause them to rust but I've dried them off real good however I obviously can't dry every part of the bearings. I would just go ahead and replace them but I've looked everywhere online and can't find any for sale except maybe one or two and even then they're like $50 each. Do you think the bearings will be ok? They spin and look perfect right now. Also if I do have to replace them does anyone know where I can buy some? Also I have not worked on the cylinder yet because of the atac logo on the side. Will the paint stripper make that come off? I'll also have to put the cases in the oven for 1 hour 200 degrees will this hurt the bearings as well?
|
z71will
7/7/2017 6:02pm
Also I tried them as good as I possibly could with shop towels and compressed air. I blew them and dried them over and over. They look dry as a bone but who knows. I'm no expert on this hopefully someone has some insight on what to do.
z71will
7/7/2017 6:45pm
Get some oil on them. They will flash rust if not.
Ok I'll do that right now
Acidreamer
7/7/2017 9:41pm
With paint and sanding going on, i say replace the bearings. Theyre cheap. Better than getting sand in the bearings and causing premature wear

The Shop

z71will
7/7/2017 10:30pm
Acidreamer wrote:
With paint and sanding going on, i say replace the bearings. Theyre cheap. Better than getting sand in the bearings and causing premature wear
They're not cheap at all and very hard to find. I can't even find all for my bike. I also hardly sanded, just a quick scuff to help the paint adhere.
lumpy790
7/8/2017 8:02am
Blow them out with compressed air then give it a squirt of WD40 till you get it together. Do not get any oil on the surfaces you are painting.

FYI Gloss black ceramic heat paint Works really well.

Post a reply to: Engine painting questions

The Latest