Exc-sxf conversion

tp311
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 4:17pm
Alright guys, I’m looking for some input from those of you who have done conversions. I know I know, I should have just bought a husky if I wanted linkage, but I ended up here lol.

So I have a 2018 ktm exc dual sport and a 2018 350 sxf that I love. I love the exc, but it’s definitely not an sxf, yet. I ended up snagging a new orange sxf frame, swingarm shock and linkage from the classifieds and swapped all my parts from my exc onto the new sxf chassis. Everything is pretty much set and went smoothly besides the exhaust. The exc’s have a spot for a kick starter on the cases, so the pipe is shaped slightly differently. This is where my problem lies, the exc pipe hits the sxf engine mount, and the stock sxf pipe I have from my other sxf hits the kickstart boss on the cases. The exc pipe is right there. Just barely mis-alighned.

I have some steel 16 motor mounts coming as I think they might be a little easier to modify.

The steel motor mounts from the 18 exc and the mounts from my brothers 18 fe husky with linkage are the same and don’t quite line up with the holes on the frame.

Should I try to dent the sxf pipe to fit around the kickstart boss? Just cut the sxf pipe and have somebody bend/reweld it around the kick start boss?

Grind a little off the aluminum sxf mount to
Allow the exc pipe to fit?

Find somebody to fab a steel motor mount from scratch?

thoughts from people who have done conversions/swaps etc???

Thanks guys!!

|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/6/2019 11:24pm
Is there enough meat on that exhaust tab to just grind it out so the bolt slips thru? Or just cut that tab and weld a taller one on.
tp311
1/7/2019 5:43am
That was another option but as it sits, the pipe is against the engine mount. I would still need a little more clearance.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/7/2019 6:28am
I tried experimenting with this on my exc-f and it was a pain in the ass to get the headpipe from the sx-f to fit. I ended up just using the exc-f headpipe and sx-f muffler together.
Monk
1/7/2019 6:57am
I would slot the upper bolt hole on the mount and then rotate it downwards till it lines up with the pipe..

The Shop

tp311
1/7/2019 10:07am
Monk wrote:
I would slot the upper bolt hole on the mount and then rotate it downwards till it lines up with the pipe..
Your saying on the silver mount? Yea, you can’t on the ktm because it’s also the engine mount so it has to hit the 2 frame points and the engine.

A friend who does metal work is going to look at it today. I think we’re going to try extending the mount on the pipe a little farther and then see if the steel mounts give enough clearance.

And yea Seth, I read a couple people put fmf’s and sxf’s on the 501’s with a small dent but I’d need to put a pretty big dent in mine to make it fit.
Wink
1/7/2019 8:36pm
Leave the excf header and use a fmf4.1, power is excellent, and I prefer the stock steel mounts on the excf, vortex ecu and complete desmog with siccass parts and you’ll love it. Added sxf aer forks with billet clamps to save some more weight plus I love the WP aer forks
Wink
1/7/2019 8:40pm
Leave the excf header and use a fmf4.1, power is excellent, and I prefer the stock steel mounts on the excf, vortex ecu and complete desmog with siccass parts and you’ll love it. Added sxf aer forks with billet clamps to save some more weight plus I love the WP aer forks, suspension by MVR
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/8/2019 7:10am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2019 7:10am
Wink wrote:
Leave the excf header and use a fmf4.1, power is excellent, and I prefer the stock steel mounts on the excf, vortex ecu and complete desmog...
Leave the excf header and use a fmf4.1, power is excellent, and I prefer the stock steel mounts on the excf, vortex ecu and complete desmog with siccass parts and you’ll love it. Added sxf aer forks with billet clamps to save some more weight plus I love the WP aer forks, suspension by MVR
Nice, mine is set up similar to you. I have the black clamps off an sx-f, Vortex x10 ignition, intake opened up.desmog and sicass rear end haha
Monk
1/8/2019 7:19am
Sorry for being ignorant, but what are you looking to do with the swap? Are you still keeping the bike street-legal but prefer the linkage chassis? Or is this a straight offroad bike now?
tp311
1/8/2019 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2019 9:03pm
Yea, I threw an end cap on and it made a big difference. I'd love the vortex, but I think I'd have a hard time forking out that kind of coin and not dropping it on my sxf. Might buy one and then have a better map put on the sxf ecu and throw it in. We'll see.

Monk and seth, did you guys pull the reed cage and put a screen less filter cage in? Those were the first things I did along with desmog, and the end cap, its good. I have a set of aer cartridges that are going in as well. Did you do a full fork swap or just internals? I believe I have to have the lugs swapped to get the aer cartridges in so thats next once I get all this dialed.

And no, not ignorant at all, I'm really happy with the suspension on my sxf and just my sxf in general. I wasn't unhappy with the exc but felt like the sxf was just better so now I'll have an sxf with license plate. For 1000 bucks I got a brand new orange frame, linkage swingarm and sxf shock. To get a good pds shock I would have had to spent more than a grand and I still wouldn't have linkage or the badass orange frame lol so I scoured microfiche for differences and almost everything is the same so I went for it. Just need to work out this pipe dilemma and I'll be set.

I'm hoping the new steel engine mounts I ordered will give me enough clearance I can just extend the mount on the exhaust up a bit to line up, or extend the steel mount down might be easy as well, I'll see once I have them in hand.. The stock exc steel mounts don't line up with the frame and engine like the sxf mounts do so I got a set of steels off a 2016 sxf.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/8/2019 9:33pm
Tp311, yes I cut the reed cage out and threw in a
2-stroke filter cage.
Wink
1/9/2019 6:43pm
Yes do complete desmog on engine including air box, plug hole in head and throttle body, remove large signal cluster with sicass plug and use sx style kill switch, use complete wer forks instead of internals and get valves by good suspension guy,, MVR in Hickory’s NC does great work, the weight savings of forks, slip on and the non linkage design makes a great all around mx and woods bike, love the ratios of the 6 spd and vortex can’t be cranked up to equal sx power of you want
tp311
1/20/2019 4:16pm
Well, got her all finished up today, didn’t get to take it for a spin because of the rain but I’ll be out this week. Extended the exhaust hanger up and ground a tiny bit off the motor mount and pipe weld for clearance.

Also swapped the xplor fork internals for an aer setup. Changed the lugs and everything myself. It was extremely easy to get the lugs off the lowers.

Got a fast way kickstand installed and a slightly shorted rear brake line to clear the shock.

Just need to get my hands on a vortex and I’ll be set!

Honestly wink, I’m pretty happy with the stock valving on my 18 aer and the internals I put in are off a buddies bike which was the one that sold me on buy a 350. It was a stock ‘17 so they’re probably going to just stay stock for now. I did buy the parts to upgrade to the 18 air piston and seal head, but I need a clamp block and a giant torx bit to change the air piston head.

Anyone know what size torx or what tools you need to swap the 17 and 18 seal heads? I know they’re different but close.

Only thing I have left to deal with is the voltage regulator that mounts on the side of the head tube. Right now I have it under the seat but I don’t know what kind of heat that thing generates with the lighting and gauge cluster. The voltage reg on the sx’s is under the tank but I assume it’s duties are much less than an exc. Might have to fab a mount for that but I’ll keep an eye on it for now.

or
Wink
1/22/2019 4:55am
Congratulations buddy, sick fabrication work too, I agree that stock aer is pretty dang good, I just valved mine cause service was due, I noticed I misspelled the part above about the vortex, I meant you CAN crank it up to sx power , I know you probably knew it was a typo. Time to ride brother!

Post a reply to: Exc-sxf conversion

The Latest