FMF Megabomb crack at factory weld?

atrdrvr7
Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 8:57am
Yesterday at the track I noticed my bike was popping a lot on decel. Went back to the pits to find this. Any opinions if this can be fixed by a competent welder? Any ideas what would cause this. Other than a tip over in a corner it’s never been crashed. My guess is metal fatigue. Just haven’t seen this before and have owned many FMF pipes. It’s a TI header that’s about 2 years old.

|
kb228
4/12/2018 6:30am
Yea it can be welded. Find a good welder though so the bead looks nice. Guessing the cause is crapshoot. My guess would be the original weld thinned out the material or made it overly brittle. Doesnt look like you bent the pipe or anything.
MotoMatt_928
4/12/2018 9:46am
We had this happen on a KX450 last year when we were riding in Florida. FMF pipes carry a warranty, so I would reach out to them before attempting to repair it. If it is out of the warranty period, any competent welder should be able to TIG it.
atrdrvr7
4/12/2018 12:17pm
We had this happen on a KX450 last year when we were riding in Florida. FMF pipes carry a warranty, so I would reach out to...
We had this happen on a KX450 last year when we were riding in Florida. FMF pipes carry a warranty, so I would reach out to them before attempting to repair it. If it is out of the warranty period, any competent welder should be able to TIG it.
Just contacted FMF and sent some pictures. It's out of warranty but they said their going to let me know if they can help out. Thanks for the heads up on the warranty.
MotoMatt_928
4/13/2018 12:51pm
atrdrvr7 wrote:
Just contacted FMF and sent some pictures. It's out of warranty but they said their going to let me know if they can help out. Thanks...
Just contacted FMF and sent some pictures. It's out of warranty but they said their going to let me know if they can help out. Thanks for the heads up on the warranty.
No problem man. Glad I could help.

The Shop

moore552
8/1/2018 10:07pm
We had this happen on a KX450 last year when we were riding in Florida. FMF pipes carry a warranty, so I would reach out to...
atrdrvr7 wrote:
Just contacted FMF and sent some pictures. It's out of warranty but they said their going to let me know if they can help out. Thanks...
Have the same problem with my fmf megabomb. Contacted fmf today. Guy said he’d get back with me and let me know what kind of deal he could give me on a new one. Just curious on what kind of deal they gave you on yours?
mx317
8/2/2018 8:56am
Isn't that a slip joint there? If so you would have to repair both pieces or just weld it up solid which might cause you trouble getting it on and off.

Post a reply to: FMF Megabomb crack at factory weld?

The Latest