Help, WP AER48 set up

Hi guys. I have 30 hours riding on my 2018.5 Fc450 rockstar. I can’t seem to find the right feel out of the WP AER 48 forks. I’ve tried multiple air pressures from 130-165. I’m 185lbs.
My issue is a good air pressure without bottoming out. Last weekend I spent the whole practice trying to get the most out of the fork without bottoming out (zips ties to see travel). Found that even getting up to 165psi, I still bottomed out on on the biggest hits.
Right now I’ve got comfortable with compression at 12 clicks out. Manual shows stock at 15 clicks out/sport 10 clicks out. Rebound is set at 10 clicks(which is what husqvarna has for sport/15 standard).
Even preloading I just can’t seem to get the same pop off the face like I did with my showa fork on the 08 crf450r.
Most guys I’ve talked to/forums/keefertesting have all agreed on 151-155psi. Even the guys at my local husqvarna/ktm shop. Bikes great other wise.

I guess my two questions I’m getting at.

1. What air pressure are you guys running with the AER48 fork(psi)?

2. What have you settled on fork settings?

Maybe a little input and similar weight I can find that “pop” that I feel I’m missing in my suspension.
Thanks fellas happy riding
|
AJ565
1/19/2019 8:00pm
I was running 151-156 depending on the track on my 250 2 stroke and you’ve only got me by 10 lbs. I had mine revalved and it really helped them. The rear also plays a big part in it, once you get the rear setup the front will work better.
aees
1/20/2019 1:26pm
Hi guys. I have 30 hours riding on my 2018.5 Fc450 rockstar. I can’t seem to find the right feel out of the WP AER 48...
Hi guys. I have 30 hours riding on my 2018.5 Fc450 rockstar. I can’t seem to find the right feel out of the WP AER 48 forks. I’ve tried multiple air pressures from 130-165. I’m 185lbs.
My issue is a good air pressure without bottoming out. Last weekend I spent the whole practice trying to get the most out of the fork without bottoming out (zips ties to see travel). Found that even getting up to 165psi, I still bottomed out on on the biggest hits.
Right now I’ve got comfortable with compression at 12 clicks out. Manual shows stock at 15 clicks out/sport 10 clicks out. Rebound is set at 10 clicks(which is what husqvarna has for sport/15 standard).
Even preloading I just can’t seem to get the same pop off the face like I did with my showa fork on the 08 crf450r.
Most guys I’ve talked to/forums/keefertesting have all agreed on 151-155psi. Even the guys at my local husqvarna/ktm shop. Bikes great other wise.

Maybe a little input and similar weight I can find that “pop” that I feel I’m missing in my suspension.
Just add 10ml oil to each leg, and run 150-165psi after that.
1/20/2019 1:33pm
Hi guys. I have 30 hours riding on my 2018.5 Fc450 rockstar. I can’t seem to find the right feel out of the WP AER 48...

aees wrote:
Only been riding for a year... kinda a suspension noob unfortunately.

How will adding a little oil help?
Also, I was under the impression only the right leg is oil, and left leg is air ONLY??
1/20/2019 1:35pm
AJ565 wrote:
I was running 151-156 depending on the track on my 250 2 stroke and you’ve only got me by 10 lbs. I had mine revalved and...
I was running 151-156 depending on the track on my 250 2 stroke and you’ve only got me by 10 lbs. I had mine revalved and it really helped them. The rear also plays a big part in it, once you get the rear setup the front will work better.
Thanks man. Thought about a revalve also. Honestly rear feels pretty good. I’ve felt the rear had been locked in for 15+ hrs. Prolly should start fine tuning the rear also and see exactly where it works best for me

The Shop

aees
1/20/2019 1:37pm
AJ565 wrote:
I was running 151-156 depending on the track on my 250 2 stroke and you’ve only got me by 10 lbs. I had mine revalved and...
Thanks man. Thought about a revalve also. Honestly rear feels pretty good. I’ve felt the rear had been locked in for 15+ hrs. Prolly should start...
Thanks man. Thought about a revalve also. Honestly rear feels pretty good. I’ve felt the rear had been locked in for 15+ hrs. Prolly should start fine tuning the rear also and see exactly where it works best for me
I assume you are running decent sag numbers like 105 and 35-42 with 4-10mm preload? So that is not the rear screwing with the front?
aees
1/20/2019 1:40pm

aees wrote:
Only been riding for a year... kinda a suspension noob unfortunately. How will adding a little oil help? Also, I was under the impression only the...

Also, I was under the impression only the right leg is oil, and left leg is air ONLY??
Oil in both outer legs, 200 is standard on 450. Go to 210. Can inject it via bleed holes using a syringe. Just make sure to push the fork slightly together just before you push some oil in, otherwise it will come back out quickly!

Oil just moves the bottoming limit and makes the last 1/3 of the stroke a bit stiffer. You will feel it from first 50-80mm of the stroke also but not as much.

1/20/2019 2:06pm
AJ565 wrote:
Thanks man. Thought about a revalve also. Honestly rear feels pretty good. I’ve felt the rear had been locked in for 15+ hrs. Prolly should start...
aees wrote:
I assume you are running decent sag numbers like 105 and 35-42 with 4-10mm preload? So that is not the rear screwing with the front?
Again suspension is my one weakness. I do know sag and preload, but as far as 35-42 and mm of preload you lost me. I know the dealer set my sag at 105 when I bought it. They set preload for me and I didn’t question it. I do have a sag scale and know how to set it. Prolly time to see if I’m still sitting at 105.
1/20/2019 2:08pm
aees wrote:
Only been riding for a year... kinda a suspension noob unfortunately. How will adding a little oil help? Also, I was under the impression only the...

aees wrote:
Oil in both outer legs, 200 is standard on 450. Go to 210. Can inject it via bleed holes using a syringe. Just make sure to...
Oil in both outer legs, 200 is standard on 450. Go to 210. Can inject it via bleed holes using a syringe. Just make sure to push the fork slightly together just before you push some oil in, otherwise it will come back out quickly!

Oil just moves the bottoming limit and makes the last 1/3 of the stroke a bit stiffer. You will feel it from first 50-80mm of the stroke also but not as much.

Awesome man. Sounds like that’d help out a lot. I’ll go ahead and try that.
1/20/2019 2:09pm
aees wrote:
Again suspension is my one weakness. I do know sag and preload, but as far as 35-42 and mm of preload you lost me. I know...
Again suspension is my one weakness. I do know sag and preload, but as far as 35-42 and mm of preload you lost me. I know the dealer set my sag at 105 when I bought it. They set preload for me and I didn’t question it. I do have a sag scale and know how to set it. Prolly time to see if I’m still sitting at 105.
Unless your saying the spring specs?? I was thinking maybe I needed a bit stiffer spring since my book says it maxes weight out around 175lbs. The next spring was rated 180-220ish lbs
aees
1/20/2019 2:18pm
aees wrote:
Again suspension is my one weakness. I do know sag and preload, but as far as 35-42 and mm of preload you lost me. I know...
Unless your saying the spring specs?? I was thinking maybe I needed a bit stiffer spring since my book says it maxes weight out around 175lbs...
Unless your saying the spring specs?? I was thinking maybe I needed a bit stiffer spring since my book says it maxes weight out around 175lbs. The next spring was rated 180-220ish lbs
Check static sag if static sag is between 35-42mm it is ok if it is already set to 105.

You should not be far off if dealer set it to 105, with you in full riding gear I assume?
1/20/2019 3:09pm
Unless your saying the spring specs?? I was thinking maybe I needed a bit stiffer spring since my book says it maxes weight out around 175lbs...
aees wrote:
Check static sag if static sag is between 35-42mm it is ok if it is already set to 105. You should not be far off if...
Check static sag if static sag is between 35-42mm it is ok if it is already set to 105.

You should not be far off if dealer set it to 105, with you in full riding gear I assume?
Thanks for clarifying. That’s makes a lot more sense.
They gave me boots and a helmet and took into account a few extra pounds when they set it.
MM52913
1/20/2019 8:55pm
I had been chasing suspension settings on my 350 for a while. I ended up going completely the wrong direction and was all outta wack. While at the track today I tried out the MXA settings and they’re pretty good. Got me in the ballpark for sure. A quick google search should bring up the settings. I was hesitant to try them as they seemed pretty radical but like I said, it got me in the ball park. Good luck!
mxryan25
1/23/2019 6:43am
I was also running 10-13 clicks out on the fork rebound, some racerx dialed in video suggested going out to 15 clicks, I tried that and it really helped on small chop comfort and traction. 15-12 clicks out on compression, 155-165 is probably where you want to stay for psi
swtwtwtw
1/23/2019 5:37pm
aees wrote:
Check static sag if static sag is between 35-42mm it is ok if it is already set to 105. You should not be far off if...

I ran 136psi in mine and 12 out on both rebound and compression. I also released the air from the bleed screws regularly. I wouldn’t go past 14 clicks out on the rebound but that will give you some more pop on the front end.

Rear, as the quote. I did differ on both static and rider sag for my preference. On jumpy tracks I felt the bike was balanced best with 98mm rider sag with the static between 25-30mm. Regardless of the rider sag I would set my static between those numbers. Shock rebound between 9-11 clicks out depending on how much I needed the bike to pop.

Again, what I ended up with after trying many suggestions.
yz133rider
1/24/2019 1:03pm
I strongly suggest snagging a set of cone valves or ohlins or kybs from the sale section on here for about 2k...any of those will have so much more comfort and bottoming resistance than the aers. The aers are a good air fork, but spring still is just much more comfort to me.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
1/25/2019 1:44am
We had a similar problem, RaceTech gold valve fixed ours. We still are searching on a setting to get it to settle in the corners the way my son wants it too. We are running 156 psi!
3/7/2023 8:17am

Old thread I know, but on my 2021 250 xc with the AER fork, RaceTech website has a calculator that recommends what pressure to run based on your weight, skill level, and type of riding you do. For my weight without gear (220 after a couple of days of bad choices lol) and GNCC/single track riding type, they recommend 160 psi. If I choose motocross as my type of riding, they recommend about 169 psi. The AER forks are great if you want the adjustability to tune them for different types of riding or if you fluctuate weight regularly, but I will say that nothing can beat a well setup hydraulic/spring fork. The tradeoff is that type of fork doesn't have much on the fly adjustment besides comp/rebound clickers. The air fork seems to work the best in the faster trails, and lacks in the rocky, technical stuff. Perhaps a set of gold valves would help out in the slower technical stuff, but in the end, I'm just a weekend warrior riding for fun.

Post a reply to: Help, WP AER48 set up

The Latest