How to Remove a broken bolt?

So i was checking my valves and just about finished up, and when putting the valve cover back on i accidentally snapped the valve cover bolt off into my cam cap, did some searching around and found out cam caps are a matched set with the head so you can not buy just the cam cap. It is not flush and is down in there about a quarter of an inch. Any suggestions on getting it out? I ordered an easy-out kit. Any tips? Thank you so much for any help.
|
Squidward
10/3/2017 9:23am
easy out kit with the left handed bits is pretty much the only way. Just take your time getting the shaft out or you may risk more problems. Then you'll end up having to drill all the threads out and re-tapping it. Not fun.
Acidreamer
10/3/2017 9:32am
Something else you can try..

Find out the minor diameter of the threads, and get a drill bit as close to that size as you can get. Get the same size or the next size down. Use a drill press to drill the bolt out. Youll be left with only threads in that hole. Run the correct tap down the hole to remove the threads left from the bolt and you should be golden. Its very important to center your drill so you dont drill the wall of the hole. Transfer punches work well for this. Harbor freight has them.

In the future, use higher quality bolts with blue loctite or antiseize. Theres zero reason bolts should snap like that in an aluminum part. The torque on those bolts is super light. Even if there was a lot of torque, the alum threads should give way before a steel bolt snaps.
10/3/2017 4:57pm
I used to work at a chevy dealership a few years ago and when we would get exhaust bolts breaking off in heads we would send them to a automotive machine shop to get them extracted. not sure how they did it or how much it was. when the heads came back, you'd never know a bolt had been broken inside the threads. might call around machine shops and see what they can do.
BobPA
10/3/2017 6:19pm
Left handed drill bit set and a small easy out. Should not be a problem. Just TAKE YOUR TIME, no need to rush stuff like that. New sharp drill bits make your life a lot easier.

The Shop

Paw Paw
10/3/2017 7:45pm
I would almost bet you can work that out with a small screwdriver or fine punch. The bolt would have had all the pressure on the shoulder and after being broken off the tension on the threads will have been released and you should be able to just walk it out with out drill. It's worth a try.

Paw Paw
10/4/2017 5:16am
Paw Paw wrote:
I would almost bet you can work that out with a small screwdriver or fine punch. The bolt would have had all the pressure on the...
I would almost bet you can work that out with a small screwdriver or fine punch. The bolt would have had all the pressure on the shoulder and after being broken off the tension on the threads will have been released and you should be able to just walk it out with out drill. It's worth a try.

Paw Paw
This is very true and sometimes even a blast of compressed air with get it moving.

Post a reply to: How to Remove a broken bolt?

The Latest