Ktm 450 xcf

Kevin_J450
Hey guys. Well here's the story after a lot of money in mechanics nobody can seem to get my bike started properly. I've had valves redone, carb cleaned and adjusted, spark plug replaced ,brand new lithium battery, new air filter, new stator, new water pump, new start solenoid. At this point it turns over but does not start with a full battery it also had a new cdi...

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated
|
Paw Paw
8/16/2017 6:06am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2017 6:09am
Are you getting fuel to the carb?
Is the fuel making it through the carb?
Do you have a bright blue spark at the plug?
Have you checked the OHMs reading at the coil, both primary and secondary?
Have you checked the cam timing?
What is your fuel screw setting?
Remember the basics.... To start you must have fuel, compression and spark at the correct time. If any one of these basics have issues, you will have starting problems.

Paw Paw
Kevin_J450
8/16/2017 7:23am
The fuel is making it to and through the carb, I did take the plug out and test it and the spark looks strong. I have not checked the coil yet and I'm not familiar with how to check the cam timing or the fuel screw setting. I was told that the carburetor is adjusted properly by the last mechanic I took it to however if the bike still isn't starting I probably shouldn't trust that judgement and check it for myself. It just started yesterday when I was with the mechanic.. took it home charged the battery just to be sure she was more than ready and it just won't fire
8/16/2017 8:15am
What year is your bike? With the lithium battery, you must hold the starter button for 5 seconds, release it, wait till you hear that humming sound, wait 30 seconds (put in your helmet, boots etc) and then go start the bike. It will fire instantly. The battery must be "woken up" and warmed up prior to just holding the start button waiting for it to start. It WILL NOT start unless you do this. I have a 2016 Husqvarna and this is what the dealer told me to do.
Kevin_J450
8/16/2017 8:18am
The bike is a 2009, it's a WPS lithium battery

The Shop

Kevin_J450
8/16/2017 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2017 3:27pm
Paw Paw wrote:
Are you getting fuel to the carb? Is the fuel making it through the carb? Do you have a bright blue spark at the plug? Have...
Are you getting fuel to the carb?
Is the fuel making it through the carb?
Do you have a bright blue spark at the plug?
Have you checked the OHMs reading at the coil, both primary and secondary?
Have you checked the cam timing?
What is your fuel screw setting?
Remember the basics.... To start you must have fuel, compression and spark at the correct time. If any one of these basics have issues, you will have starting problems.

Paw Paw
What if I suggested that the cam was bad. Would you believe it. Bike just backfired through the air filter
BobPA
8/16/2017 7:18pm
One way starter bearing. Will crank and crank, sound like its want to start.... it the failed bearing will not let it fire.
Paw Paw
8/16/2017 7:27pm
Very few cams go bad, but cam timing does get off due to worn cam chains.
If the valves are set too tight it will give starting issues.
Backfiring through the carb normally indicates a very lean condition.

OK, here is what I want you to try and I already know many folks will say I am crazy and that is ok....
1. turn on fuel pet cock.
2. Pull out choke on carb.
3. Turn the idle screw 1 turn clockwise
4. Now twist the throttle about 5 times.
5. Now crank it.
6. After 30 sec of run time push the chock to the off position.
7. After about 1 min run time turn the idle screw about 3/4 turn counter clockwise.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Ktm 450 xcf

The Latest