Related:
Create New Tag
traumajunkie traumajunkie
1/15/2018 10:03 PM

Hey guys new as a member but i have visited this site for a while as a guest. I have a question regarding my 07 kx250f. This bike is all stock and has been problem free. I pulled it out for the first time in about 5 months to go for a ride with some friends. My buddy noticed that i was holding the decompression lever while kick starting my bike, i have done this as long as i have owned the bike...7 years now and it has always started. With that said the bike now has the worse popping sound(its always had a little pop but this is annoying). I dont think holding the decompression lever caused the popping but has holding the decompression lever caused any damage?

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly"

Acidreamer Acidreamer
1/16/2018 1:10 AM

No it doesnt hurt anything. Your pop sounds are probably valve related

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

walent215 walent215
1/16/2018 5:23 AM

Sitting for 5 months and the pilot jet may be slightly plugged as well

Paw Paw 271 Paw Paw 271
1/16/2018 6:40 AM
An '07 KX250F does not have a decompression lever. It does have a Hot start lever which leans the bike out for hot starting. It sounds like it is now leaking and causing a lean condition leading to the popping.

Paw Paw
1/16/2018 7:34 AM

Thank you for the replies, I had actually been researching it for a while now and heard "hot start" but never paid attention that they were different. I have been using it to start a cold bike, normally pull it with the clutch and 2 kicks she would start, even in 30 degree weather. I know one member said holding the decompression would not harm anything, what about the "hot start"? Also what is leaking? The hot start?

Paw Paw 271 Paw Paw 271
1/16/2018 8:42 AM

Using the Hot start lever will make your fuel mix very lean. Not a good idea for cold starts.

Paw Paw

Acidreamer Acidreamer
1/16/2018 8:59 AM
traumajunkie wrote:

Thank you for the replies, ...more

Yea hot start leans out the mixture. Decomp is fine because otherwise you wont have fun starting it lmao

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

Knoby Knoby
1/16/2018 4:34 PM

It's a steep mountain to climb but if you figure out how to jet your carb right you can rip that thing off and throw it away.

RTFM & AYFV

omalley omalley
1/16/2018 5:57 PM
traumajunkie wrote:

Thank you for the replies, ...more

The hot start lever pulls a plunger in the carb (like a choke plunger) which exposes an air passage to allow extra air in on a hot start. A hot four stroke likes a lean mixture. The problem is that the plunger likes to seize/gall and/or corrode. You have enough strength to pull it open, but the spring to return it might not be able to if there’s crud in there. Id do a thorough carb cleaning.

1/24/2018 5:20 PM

Hey guys sorry for the delay but i did get the problem fixed. I rebuilt the carb about 3 weeks ago, figuring this is where my problem was I went and took everything off and was I surprised! I found a rats nest in the darn airbox, Cleaned it all up and Boom she purs again

kzizok kzizok
1/24/2018 7:19 PM

Hey guy,

Adding in the ol’ “rats nest” troll. Stepping up the game. Look forward to a new username and troll topic coming soon.

much appreciated

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry