Linkage bearings

lcgordon711
I was replacing the linkage bearings in my 08 yz450 and I bought the pivot works set. I pressed them all in and I could not get the pin through one of the bearings. I thought the bearing was just bad so I got a oem one shipped. Now once pressing that one in another different one the pin wont go into and it used to. It may be because the needles when sideways.I cant figure out what it is I took all the needles out and put them back in. I can hammer the pin through. Would it loosen up if I put it all together and rode it or Is that a bad Idea? I would think that would be but Idk.

Any tips guys im getting frustrated

Thanks
|
Acidreamer
1/12/2018 7:13pm
You packed all of the bearings with grease right? Youre not trying to go in dry i hope..lol
lcgordon711
1/12/2018 7:35pm
I put as much as I could fit. They worked before with no changes except moving the part around the garage
beamer
1/12/2018 8:56pm
Are you talking about the bushing which goes in first thru the needle bearings, or the bolt which then would go thru the bushing ?
lcgordon711
1/12/2018 9:26pm
Sorry yeah the bushing. I did not know what it was called.

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
1/12/2018 9:54pm
If the wrong side of the bearing was used to press it in it can deform and cause this issue. The edge of the bearing with the markings should be used for the pressing pressure. If the thinner side was used it can deform under pressure.

Paw Paw
beamer
1/12/2018 11:54pm
The only thing I would personally try is throwing the bushing in the freezer overnight that should give you a little relief on the tolerances.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2572nd
1/13/2018 5:10am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2018 5:12am
Also if they are pressed in cocked at an angle they will get knocked out of shape. Don't force the bush through it as you'll have two ruined parts rather than just one.
Hondas4Life3
1/13/2018 7:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2018 7:45pm
These are rollers, sometimes you need to get your finger in the opposite side and compress the rollers so the inner bushing can slide in.
lcgordon711
1/14/2018 6:22pm
Thanks guys for all the help. I just ordered two new oem ones. I maybe could get them back out and working again I dont really know. I do know I hammered a bushing in, it was the old one and got some vice grips on the bushing and turned it and it is tough to turn and I noticed the needles are sticking to the bushing, so not rolling and just sliding inside the race. I just want to get the new bearings in and before I mess with the part get the bushing in and be done with it.

I will be super careful putting the new ones in. I am positve that I could get the bushing in the bearing right after I put the bearing in the linkage so something got messed up after and I have no clue what it was.

Thanks for the info guys
lcgordon711
1/15/2018 7:48am
Only thing I can think of is the needles got out of align or something when hammering in the seals.
Acidreamer
1/15/2018 7:59am
I could see it not fitting if you hammered crooked. When i press in my bearings i use a vice. That way i know theyre going in straight.
lcgordon711
1/15/2018 8:11am
Acid, I did use a vice that's why I am confused why it wont work. Plus it worked when I first put them in. The bushing went in like butter. Now it wont, well actually it is stuck in there cuz I got pissed and hammered the piss out of it and the bushing is stuck. I will have to press the bearings and bushing out together. I don't know what is up. Ive got two oem bearings on order tho.
lcgordon711
1/22/2018 7:14am
Well I figured it out when I first took it apart instead of using a vice I first tried a socket and a hammer and I missed the bearing a little on one edge and mushroomed the aluminum just a touch pretty much unnoticeable to the naked eye. I had to run a razor blade up and down it for it to catch. I cut down the bump with a razor blade and then sanded it smooth. Now it worked good. It was too tight for the bearing smashing the bearing just a touch and not allowing the bushing to go in.

It is good to go now but learned my lesson don't hammer on stuff unless your sure you wanna be hammering on it. Man I should have already known that. Some times in the heat of the moment and I'm rushed I make bad decisions.
Acidreamer
1/22/2018 8:39am
Well I figured it out when I first took it apart instead of using a vice I first tried a socket and a hammer and I...
Well I figured it out when I first took it apart instead of using a vice I first tried a socket and a hammer and I missed the bearing a little on one edge and mushroomed the aluminum just a touch pretty much unnoticeable to the naked eye. I had to run a razor blade up and down it for it to catch. I cut down the bump with a razor blade and then sanded it smooth. Now it worked good. It was too tight for the bearing smashing the bearing just a touch and not allowing the bushing to go in.

It is good to go now but learned my lesson don't hammer on stuff unless your sure you wanna be hammering on it. Man I should have already known that. Some times in the heat of the moment and I'm rushed I make bad decisions.
Try a deadblow next time...

Post a reply to: Linkage bearings

The Latest