Loose head stud

Pirate421
Was replacing the top end on my CR250 and one of the back cylinder head studs was loose. It was spinning with the nut and then hit some resistance and the nut came off the rest of the way. I was going to take it out and re Loctite it but as I was spinning it out it stopped after a few threads. It was late so I just tightened it back down to the length of the other ones and put the head back on. This is a restoration build so I don’t see me replacing another top end any time soon. Will a loose stud affect the seal of the head gasket if the nuts are tight? I’m hoping if I do another top end I may replace all the studs.
|
Pirate421
1/17/2018 4:56am
Thanks I just ordered new studs so I’ll replace all of them
Hondas4Life3
1/17/2018 11:21am
Pirate421 wrote:
Thanks I just ordered new studs so I’ll replace all of them
Most of the time you can take them out, install some loctite, and reinstall. They only need replaced if the threads are messed up. My cr250 did the same thing.
Pirate421
1/17/2018 1:07pm
Yea I’m trying to debate what to do. I tightened it down to the same depth as the others and then put the head on and snugged the head down. I want to take the head off and re Loctite the stud but I’m not sure if the metal gasket is compromised now. Engine hasn’t been run yet so there wasn’t any heat cycles on it.

The Shop

Hondas4Life3
1/17/2018 3:50pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Yea I’m trying to debate what to do. I tightened it down to the same depth as the others and then put the head on and...
Yea I’m trying to debate what to do. I tightened it down to the same depth as the others and then put the head on and snugged the head down. I want to take the head off and re Loctite the stud but I’m not sure if the metal gasket is compromised now. Engine hasn’t been run yet so there wasn’t any heat cycles on it.
Those head gaskets are a one time deal. Once its crushed you need a new one or it will blow. The stud itself needs to be pretty snug but not super tight.

Post a reply to: Loose head stud

The Latest