Please Help 2018 Crf450r valve tick??

Edited Date/Time 9/29/2022 9:37pm
I just bought a new 2018 Crf450r. I brought it home and did a 1 hour break in split into 3 heat cycles like I always do. Toward the end of break in it started making a noise what sounded to me like a valve tick only on deceleration. I brought it in and did my first oil and filter change and checked the valves. I got 0.010 on both exhaust valves. 0.006 and 0.005 on the intake valves. That's in spec according to the owners manual. I took it out again after oil change and valve check and got on the throttle pretty hard a couple times and it got worse. It is a little louder of a tick now and I can now hear the tick at idle, accelerating and decelerating. Can someone please help me I'm sorry this is so long but I needed to explain the whole situation. I posted on thumper talk and no help yet. I've never had a brand new bike give me problems before but this is my first honda.
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/20/2019 5:53pm
I just bought a new 2018 Crf450r. I brought it home and did a 1 hour break in split into 3 heat cycles like I always...
I just bought a new 2018 Crf450r. I brought it home and did a 1 hour break in split into 3 heat cycles like I always do. Toward the end of break in it started making a noise what sounded to me like a valve tick only on deceleration. I brought it in and did my first oil and filter change and checked the valves. I got 0.010 on both exhaust valves. 0.006 and 0.005 on the intake valves. That's in spec according to the owners manual. I took it out again after oil change and valve check and got on the throttle pretty hard a couple times and it got worse. It is a little louder of a tick now and I can now hear the tick at idle, accelerating and decelerating. Can someone please help me I'm sorry this is so long but I needed to explain the whole situation. I posted on thumper talk and no help yet. I've never had a brand new bike give me problems before but this is my first honda.
pull in the clutch and see if the tick goes away. I had a similar thought about the valves....but when you pull in the clutch the noise goes away. (2018 CRF450RX...same engine as the R)
3/20/2019 6:17pm
I will try that tomorrow it would be nice if that was it but it sure does sound like its coming from the head though. Sounds can be confusing on these things. Thank you for the comment.
motox331
3/21/2019 12:56pm
Exhaust leak or you are just hearing the decomp mechanism.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
3/23/2019 8:12am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 8:14am
(Update) I tried pulling in the clutch and that didn't make a difference but it does not do it while it is cold only when hot...
(Update) I tried pulling in the clutch and that didn't make a difference but it does not do it while it is cold only when hot. Here is a link to a video I made but I will admit it sounds worse in the video than it actually is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzKxGFO0EBg
Was the engine at room temperature when you checked the valve clearances? I let mine sit overnight before I check the valve clearance. Also, I'd pull the cam cover again, check that the cam chain is tight, check the camshaft retainer cap bolts for proper torque (before you check the valve clearance), and check the decompression weight for play/make sure it's not rubbing anything. Also as suggested above, you could have an exhaust leak. Check the header retainer nuts for torque, and if it is leaking you'll need a new copper crush ring
3/23/2019 4:26pm
It was at room temperature when I checked and the cam chain was tight but I didn't check the decompression weight. And it's not an exhaust leak I'm sure. Thanks for all the replies.
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
4/26/2019 7:10pm
Hi Dillon,

I have a 17 that sounds very similar. Did you find a resolution on this? Only does it when warmed up. Valves in spec, nothing odd in valve train. Sound is not there cold.
Tryhard
4/28/2019 3:40pm
Refer to your manual to see if the valves are to be adjusted hot or cold . And appropriately check them in the same situation would be my 1st go at it . These new hondas also have lots of engine noise . If valves were loose you would most likely be getting some backfiring or hard starting . Good luck !
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
4/30/2019 7:27am
Tryhard wrote:
Refer to your manual to see if the valves are to be adjusted hot or cold . And appropriately check them in the same situation would...
Refer to your manual to see if the valves are to be adjusted hot or cold . And appropriately check them in the same situation would be my 1st go at it . These new hondas also have lots of engine noise . If valves were loose you would most likely be getting some backfiring or hard starting . Good luck !
Manual says cold and valves checked as such. Decomp weight looks/feels fine. Going to swap the exhaust gasket and see but I doubt that will do anything. No cracks in exhaust. Just hard to figure out what would start ticking once the bike gets to operating temp...Thanks!
Blake28
6/12/2019 5:58am
Hey mate, just wondering if you figured out what was making the tick? I’m experiencing the same issue with my 450 only has 10 hours on it?
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
6/28/2019 11:29am
Blake28 wrote:
Hey mate, just wondering if you figured out what was making the tick? I’m experiencing the same issue with my 450 only has 10 hours on...
Hey mate, just wondering if you figured out what was making the tick? I’m experiencing the same issue with my 450 only has 10 hours on it?
I have not! I have verified valves are in spec several times, changed exhaust gasket, and replaced cam chain tensioner. It only ticks when its warmed up. Cold it doesn't do it. Clutch has no effect. Havent ridden it much other than to try it out after making a change. I keep thinking valves, but they are all within spec in the middle to on the tighter side.

Only thing i can think of is the clearance opens up a little when it gets hot enough to make a noise when the cam shaft hits the rocker arms. Otherwise I am clueless.
redduk
6/28/2019 1:51pm
Mine will make the same noise when the idle is set to low so the decomp will not disengage. I would double check the decomp to make sure it is working properly.
kb228
6/28/2019 8:10pm
Blake28 wrote:
Hey mate, just wondering if you figured out what was making the tick? I’m experiencing the same issue with my 450 only has 10 hours on...
jayB22 wrote:
I have not! I have verified valves are in spec several times, changed exhaust gasket, and replaced cam chain tensioner. It only ticks when its warmed...
I have not! I have verified valves are in spec several times, changed exhaust gasket, and replaced cam chain tensioner. It only ticks when its warmed up. Cold it doesn't do it. Clutch has no effect. Havent ridden it much other than to try it out after making a change. I keep thinking valves, but they are all within spec in the middle to on the tighter side.

Only thing i can think of is the clearance opens up a little when it gets hot enough to make a noise when the cam shaft hits the rocker arms. Otherwise I am clueless.
Clearances get tighter as it warms up. Thermal expansion makes everything bigger.

Harbor freight sells mechanics stethoscopes for $3. Go get one and probe around your engine while its running. Youll quickly find the cause.
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
7/1/2019 5:57pm
kb228 wrote:
Clearances get tighter as it warms up. Thermal expansion makes everything bigger. Harbor freight sells mechanics stethoscopes for $3. Go get one and probe around your...
Clearances get tighter as it warms up. Thermal expansion makes everything bigger.

Harbor freight sells mechanics stethoscopes for $3. Go get one and probe around your engine while its running. Youll quickly find the cause.
Bought the stethoscope. Got it warm and started poking around. I still cant identify the source of the tick. It isnt obvious. Still just as confused as i was before... Cant hear it cold. Gets louder when the bike gets hotter. And it will vary with the RPM. Not just at idle. Decomp seemed to be functioning fine when I. had it out for the one valve adjustment i made.
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
7/3/2019 2:36pm
Ok...From my best estimate after listening again it seems the tick is coming from the throttle body. That's the only place in the entire motor I hear anything through the stethoscope that sounds like the tick I hear. Do some injectors make noise more than others?
hubbardmx50
11/14/2020 1:49pm
Mine does the same thing and always has (135 hours, I’ve had the bike for exactly 3 years now). Are these newer motors with the finger follower valve trains just super noisy? I remember people mentioning in that huge KX450 thread that the newer Kawi engine (which also has new finger follower valve train if I’m not mistaken) is super noisy too.
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
11/25/2020 5:27am
Mine does the same thing and always has (135 hours, I’ve had the bike for exactly 3 years now). Are these newer motors with the finger...
Mine does the same thing and always has (135 hours, I’ve had the bike for exactly 3 years now). Are these newer motors with the finger follower valve trains just super noisy? I remember people mentioning in that huge KX450 thread that the newer Kawi engine (which also has new finger follower valve train if I’m not mistaken) is super noisy too.
So yours is only when its hot too? Sounds quiet cold, but ticks when warmed up. I even replaced the piston, rings, cam tensioner and cam chain. Nothing changed. Valves always in spec. I installed the electric start kit, and had the ECU remapped. Point is I have been all over this bike and nothing is out of the ordinary that I can find, other that the annoying tick. Bike has always ran fantastic. must just be the design of the motor as you mentioned.
motoracer58
Fantasy
345th
11/25/2020 8:48am
Check the roller on the exhaust rocker. 17-18's had issues with the bearing breaking on the roller. I doubt that is your issue since the bike is new but it is worth a shot
hubbardmx50
2/23/2021 1:16pm
Mine does the same thing and always has (135 hours, I’ve had the bike for exactly 3 years now). Are these newer motors with the finger...
jayB22 wrote:
So yours is only when its hot too? Sounds quiet cold, but ticks when warmed up. I even replaced the piston, rings, cam tensioner and cam...
So yours is only when its hot too? Sounds quiet cold, but ticks when warmed up. I even replaced the piston, rings, cam tensioner and cam chain. Nothing changed. Valves always in spec. I installed the electric start kit, and had the ECU remapped. Point is I have been all over this bike and nothing is out of the ordinary that I can find, other that the annoying tick. Bike has always ran fantastic. must just be the design of the motor as you mentioned.
Sorry Jay, I am just seeing this. I figured this thread was so old nobody saw my comment. And Mine definitely does it cold. I'm not sure if it does it at full operating temperature because I wear ear plugs and since it runs fine I don't really notice it at the track. I haven't torn mine down or replaced any parts but it starts second kick and runs great just like it always has. New oil and OEM oil filter every 5-6 hours, no shavings. It's very strange. Wish I could just ignore it but it is a bit concerning.
hubbardmx50
2/23/2021 1:18pm
Check the roller on the exhaust rocker. 17-18's had issues with the bearing breaking on the roller. I doubt that is your issue since the bike...
Check the roller on the exhaust rocker. 17-18's had issues with the bearing breaking on the roller. I doubt that is your issue since the bike is new but it is worth a shot
I haven't been into the motor on this bike at all, maybe I should look at my valves soon and check that out also. Where exactly is the roller and what does it look like?
3/8/2021 12:06pm
Glad I found this thread, resent bought mine used. After 1st run I got serious worried about the ticking noise that only appears when hot. Can hear the ticking while riding.

Checked valves, measured top components with mechanical repair book, all ok, replaced piston and rings, exhaust gasket, still ticking hot.

Asked local Honda dealer and got “they are noisy”.

After reading this thread I will ignore the ticking, would of course be nice if someone found how to get rid of the ticking.

hubbardmx50
3/11/2021 11:20am
swe-chris wrote:
Glad I found this thread, resent bought mine used. After 1st run I got serious worried about the ticking noise that only appears when hot. Can...
Glad I found this thread, resent bought mine used. After 1st run I got serious worried about the ticking noise that only appears when hot. Can hear the ticking while riding.

Checked valves, measured top components with mechanical repair book, all ok, replaced piston and rings, exhaust gasket, still ticking hot.

Asked local Honda dealer and got “they are noisy”.

After reading this thread I will ignore the ticking, would of course be nice if someone found how to get rid of the ticking.

Yeah man, I think this current generation engine is just naturally loud. That’s strange that you guys only hear it hot. My bike definitely does it cold right when I kick it over. Maybe I’ll post a video. If you’re ever pitted next to anyone who has a 19-21 KX450, the motor in that bike is extremely loud. I don’t hear it when I’m riding.
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
3/12/2021 8:08am
Yeah mine still does it warm mostly. not there cold. Has been like that since I bought it. I will pop in and have a look at the roller, but everything was great when I had it apart trying to figure this out. Bike always runs fantastic.
4/17/2021 12:18am
I just bought a new 2018 Crf450r. I brought it home and did a 1 hour break in split into 3 heat cycles like I always...
Hey, just wanted to check in and throw my two cents in after some digging on other forums. I will try to find the link but there was another person with the exact same noise and issue on a 19’ 450r and he fixed his issue by changing an ovalized valve guide. Have you tried that yet? Wanting to see if that really is the issue before I have to dive into my bike to see if that ticking noise for me goes away.
4/17/2021 12:22am
jayB22 wrote:
So yours is only when its hot too? Sounds quiet cold, but ticks when warmed up. I even replaced the piston, rings, cam tensioner and cam...
Throwing a repeat question out there but have you taken a look at the valve guides? A different thread on another forum said that the ticking came from an ovalized valve guide and after replacing the bad one, the ticking was no more. Maybe something to look in to?
jayB22
Fantasy
2127th
4/19/2021 11:59am
Throwing a repeat question out there but have you taken a look at the valve guides? A different thread on another forum said that the ticking...
Throwing a repeat question out there but have you taken a look at the valve guides? A different thread on another forum said that the ticking came from an ovalized valve guide and after replacing the bad one, the ticking was no more. Maybe something to look in to?
No I have not looked at the valve guides. But thanks for the tip.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
4/22/2021 10:56am
Finger follower engines are noisy/loud. My 19 Honda 250 was got loud once hit operating temp. Was loud from hour 1 till hour 60 when I sold it. Valves were perfectly in spec at hour 50. I was on the limiter a lot during those 60 hours. However on my 21 YZ250F, that has a traditional cam buckets, no valve tick.
Honda11e
11/23/2021 2:21pm
I have a 2018 CRF 450r, bought it brand new, I put 27hrs on it. It had the same awful ticking noise as your bike.I replaced the complete motor...new bottom end and bearings, new piston and complete valve assembly replacement. Still ticked like crazy...I even took it to the dealership, they couldn't find anything wrong. Soooo, upon even further investigation, I found that the left exhaust rocker arm bearing roller (the roller that rides on the cam lobes) had excessive play in it. I replaced both exhaust rocker arms and the shaft and the ticking noise went away. After a complete motor rebuild and many hours of trying to figure this out, it turned out to be the rocker arm bearing. This was driving me nuts as I raced the bike and wasn't feeling 100% doing big jumps and stuff for fear of the motor locking up in mid air. Hope this helps.

Post a reply to: Please Help 2018 Crf450r valve tick??

The Latest