Powerseal USA

3/6/2018 6:18pm
Hey guys I’m going to send my cylinder to Powerseal USA this week to be replated for a new top end build. I have zero experience with powervalves and I’d rather not remove them myself. I know they need to be removed for the plating process. If they remove them for me do they clean them as well? They look a bit gunked up. As I’m filling out my service order form I see this “NOTE: Cleaning & re-installation of studs and valve is NOT included”. So basically they will remove it for $30 but leave it up to me to put back in? Sorry but this is my first time with a powervalve engine. Bike is a 2011 YZ 250 if any of you have removed/installed the powervalve before. Also, has anyone had them do the squish mod for these bikes? I sent my head to Eric Gorr last summer and I just don’t feel confident in his work after reading about him on here. Should of done some searching before letting him work on it Dizzy
|
sandman768
3/7/2018 5:25am
Pull the power valves out yourself, very easy on the YZ, soak them in solvent , I like to use 1 gal container called "chem dip" can be bought at Walmart. then clean them yourself, gently clean them with scotchbrite pad, if heavy carbon deposits you can use a razor blade,..the cyl studs should come out also, they will charge you 30.00 to do it, takes about 15 mins with doubled up nuts....They will not reinstall the studs or powervalve unless you request it, will be more $... you need to perform a squish test during reassembly to determine what if anything needs to be done to your head...I would have Powersealusa match a piston during the plating process. I have had several cylinders done by them and they do very nice work. Whenever you come to something your are not sure about with your top end assembly just go to utube, I have learned a lot from various videos & good engine builder sites...you will also want to check your cyl and head surfaces for warpage, again, very easy with straight edge & feeler gauges.
kb228
3/7/2018 5:26am
Do the powervalves yourself. Its super easy. Youtube has videos on that specific bike.
3/7/2018 7:39am
sandman768 wrote:
Pull the power valves out yourself, very easy on the YZ, soak them in solvent , I like to use 1 gal container called "chem dip"...
Pull the power valves out yourself, very easy on the YZ, soak them in solvent , I like to use 1 gal container called "chem dip" can be bought at Walmart. then clean them yourself, gently clean them with scotchbrite pad, if heavy carbon deposits you can use a razor blade,..the cyl studs should come out also, they will charge you 30.00 to do it, takes about 15 mins with doubled up nuts....They will not reinstall the studs or powervalve unless you request it, will be more $... you need to perform a squish test during reassembly to determine what if anything needs to be done to your head...I would have Powersealusa match a piston during the plating process. I have had several cylinders done by them and they do very nice work. Whenever you come to something your are not sure about with your top end assembly just go to utube, I have learned a lot from various videos & good engine builder sites...you will also want to check your cyl and head surfaces for warpage, again, very easy with straight edge & feeler gauges.
Right on I’ll have to just go ahead and remove them. I’ve already got the studs out also. I read in their website and it says they can return the cylinder back to oem specs. So I was just planning on ordering a stock bore Wiseco piston from RockyMountain and run that. They seem to have the best prices on a piston and I’m not sure how much Powerseal would charge for one
sandman768
3/7/2018 7:58am
You can get the piston first & send it in with the cylinder, I like to have the piston matched to cylinder, maybe no big deal but I feel like when they have the piston you will be using, it will remove any doubt about fitiment. The cylinder will come back with instructions for cleaning, I use air to blow out all holes, mostly stud holes, then wash in soapy hot water, then take a clean white cloth/t shirt with wd-40 & wipe cylinder out, keep wiping the bore until the shirt is spotless...be surprised what is left behind on cylinder walls....

The Shop

MX915
3/7/2018 8:05am
They did a great job on my 150 cylinder. I didn't send them a piston. I put in the comments that I was using a size 1 OEM piston. When I got it back it was better than new. Would use them again, no question.
calcoast
3/7/2018 11:35am
I sent my top end to them back in December along with a piston to match. The work looks flawless. I’m very pleased with the outcome. I’m still working on the bike so I haven’t ran it yet.
3/7/2018 2:00pm
Awesome. Thanks again. I’ll be ordering my Wiseco racer elite piston on Friday and then the cylinder will be shipped out on Monday!
calcoast
3/7/2018 2:28pm
Awesome. Thanks again. I’ll be ordering my Wiseco racer elite piston on Friday and then the cylinder will be shipped out on Monday!
Call Powerseal first and ask if they carry that piston. You might be able to get it a bit cheaper since they’re doing your top end too.
Hcallz5
3/7/2018 3:09pm
Yeah and if you buy a piston from them they'll match it to your cylinder for max powahhh!
3/7/2018 5:39pm
calcoast wrote:
Call Powerseal first and ask if they carry that piston. You might be able to get it a bit cheaper since they’re doing your top end...
Call Powerseal first and ask if they carry that piston. You might be able to get it a bit cheaper since they’re doing your top end too.
I doubt they will have it cheaper. So far RM has the best price but it’s worth a try

Post a reply to: Powerseal USA

The Latest