Race Tech vs Factory Connection shock spring

Looking into buying a 5.8KG rated shock spring and was curious how much variance there is in quality when it comes to Race Tech vs Factory Connection vs other brands. I'm sure not ALL shock springs are created equal, but when it comes to the main brands in our sport like Race Tech, FC, etc - is there anything that stands out to make one better than the other? Keep in mind I'm not talking about anything internal like valving - just simply the shock spring itself.

I was looking at Race Tech for around $100 shipped, but then I found a Factory Connection for $75 shipped - so figured I'd ask.

***Furthermore***... What about RT & FC vs the OEM's genuine parts - like a genuine KYB shock spring. Worth the extra $$, or too negligible?
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/31/2018 1:31pm
My guess is that the quality can only be measured in a few ways, and that both companies' products will be so close as to not matter. Here are the measurable qualities I can imagine:

-How close is the spring to its rated spring rate? This is probably about the same for both companies and in any case close enough that any variance will be virtually unnoticeable.
-How heavy or light is the spring itself? Both are probably steel and very likely to be the same weight.
-How long will the spring last before losing function? If they are both the same material, likely the same.
1/31/2018 3:46pm
Pretty much my thoughts too, Falcon... only other thing I could think of is how the colored paint/coating wears over time. Besides that, I think the variables you mentioned are pretty much it..
Bruce372
1/31/2018 4:44pm
I recent bought a spring from rt and had to return it because measurements were saying it was softer than the stocker I replaced.

I ended up with the fc spring and it's good.

That said, I've used both brands before and they have been good.

Also, a rt rep posts here, he was really helpful but I was in a time crunch. Plus, rt gives a vital discount.

I don't think you can wrong either way
m21racing
1/31/2018 7:07pm
Only a few spring winders, eventually they cross paths. As long as you can verify the rate, you will have a good spring from either brand.

The Shop

1/31/2018 7:26pm
m21racing wrote:
Only a few spring winders, eventually they cross paths. As long as you can verify the rate, you will have a good spring from either brand.
Yea I've read how they all seem to have the same suppliers like Eibach, etc. I guess where I'm a little hung up is the whole having to actually QC the spring rate thing. Is that something I need a shop do, or is there a poor mans method to it?
captmoto
1/31/2018 8:01pm
I've always used Race Tech with good results. A few people here say they like Cannon Racecraft springs and they can make a spring to your specs.
m21racing
2/1/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 7:46am
m21racing wrote:
Yea I've read how they all seem to have the same suppliers like Eibach, etc. I guess where I'm a little hung up is the whole...
Yea I've read how they all seem to have the same suppliers like Eibach, etc. I guess where I'm a little hung up is the whole having to actually QC the spring rate thing. Is that something I need a shop do, or is there a poor mans method to it?
I have a spring tester I verify rates for customers. You can measure, coils diameter, but powdercoat is in the way of accuracy. Best way if no access to a spring rate machine, is sag. If you have to preload the spring more than 10mm to get sag, rate is off. 5 to 8mm on shock body to get proper sag numbers is optimal.
2/1/2018 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 7:41pm
Well I noticed that the $75 Factory Connection spring's auction had a "make an offer" feature. I offered $50 shipped, and the seller accepted. Also scored my buddy a $40 6.0 KG spring tonight. I'll report back once we install our springs and try setting the sag

Post a reply to: Race Tech vs Factory Connection shock spring

The Latest