Redneck WP to KYB fork job

mwssquad827
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2020 4:56pm
I have some KYB forks that I want to put on my husky 250... I know about the conversions and all but what about just shimming the bottom and rocking it?? I have wheel, brake and everything for the swap.

Plus and minus if such a job??

Don’t be dicks I really want to know the plus and minus that y’all think..

Thank you
|
cwtoyota
4/10/2020 2:26am
Random thoughts...

I wouldn't run shims. You can make it work with the right combination of clamps to get the correct offset.
If you were more specific about which forks from which application I could tell you a combo of clamps and stem that might work.

The KTM fork lug offset is not the same as the KYB forks, so it will change your steering geometry the same way a set of clamps with a different offset will change it. Handling (geometry) is pretty important...

Also, the centers on the triple clamp bores are not the same distance on the various brands.
For example, KTM and Kawasaki are 2mm different than a Yamaha.

If you have a set of Kawasaki KYB, everything is closer than Yamaha KYB but the standard valving isn't as good.

The YZ hubs and spokes are bulletproof and probably a big upgrade to KTM stuff. The YZ front brake isn't.
KX hubs aren't bad but brakes haven't been great until the last couple of years.

If you use the Japanese front wheels, get the 270 galfer fixed rotor and run the KTM brake. You may need to modify a brake caliper bracket to center the caliper on the rotor.

I machined a set of front seal collars that adapted a Husky Rockstar Edition front wheel & rotor onto my buddy's Showa kit fork. It would work with the KX axles in the 2012 vintage (with KYB 48 forks) as well as any YZ with the two-stroke sized axle (2008 - 2009 four stroke Yamahas)

In terms of performance I can't imagine anything could make the front of that bike worse than the AER or 4CS forks.
The KYB stuff is damn good stock and only gets better with the right springs and shims.
mwssquad827
4/10/2020 8:34am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2020 8:41am
I have the 08kawi 450 forks... and I took a couple measurements last night, the one written in pen..

Pretty damn close on the measurements..

Also I can use my husky front brake on the kawi front wheel?? And the collars you made would allow me to run all stock stuff with the KYB??? If so you have pic?
Thanks for your input

The Shop

mwssquad827
4/11/2020 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 8:49pm
Cool... so I’m thinking that I can just swap over the whole front and it should work...
4/12/2020 6:02am
You can use ktm wheels

if you use 2011 wheel spacer pluss 2000 wheel spacer. ground of lip on 2000 spacer and slide inside 2011 spacer.

or make your own , but i made mine using hand drill, file , and metal cutting blade.
mwssquad827
4/12/2020 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 12:26pm
2000 inside the 2011?? 🤔🤔 what about the husky brake setup??
mwssquad827
4/14/2020 7:57am

So far so good I’m going to try and fit the stock brakes and wheels.. I mostly care about the stock husky brakes.. if not I will mock up all the kawi stuff and see what happens...
BToz
4/14/2020 5:55pm
I did something similar (18 Kawi forks and shock on 06 cr250) I couldn’t find anyone who could tell me what would work or how to make it work. It took awhile and a lot of reading and searching. I ended up with 3 clamps and got lucky with the 15 crf450 clamps working. One issue I had was when I got it all together I didn’t think I was getting all the air out of the front brake because it didn’t feel good. The caliper was bending the front rotor when applied and then it would relax and push the piston back in enough that when you grab the brake a second time it would go all the way in and touch the grip. Few mm (1-1.5) machining on the axle and wheel spacer lined it up. You could barely see the rotor moving. You would think with everything loose it would scoot over when the brake was applied and just tighten it up but every time it ended up the same. I’m into trying different stuff like this, who knows you might make something really nice to ride. Good luck man, post how it turns out!
mwssquad827
4/15/2020 10:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2020 10:54pm

So the husky wheel and brake won’t work as I figured they wouldnt... the husky axle is to to big and the caliper won’t mount to the KYB fork. But the complete front end seems to work perfect... and since I used the husky triples I can keep the husky plastics except the fork sliders👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

Next question for you all is... is there any benefit to see if I can make the master cyclinder/lever setup from the husky work or just rebuild the kawi system (Kawi brakes aren’t horrible) and rock a
a complete kawi front??
YZed250
4/17/2020 11:14am
Without seeing any of your measurements, I reckon you could make the Brembo caliper fit with some spacers or a different bracket.
Most of the other redneck KYB to KTM threads show it that way.
mwssquad827
4/17/2020 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2020 12:58pm
YZed250 wrote:
Without seeing any of your measurements, I reckon you could make the Brembo caliper fit with some spacers or a different bracket. Most of the other...
Without seeing any of your measurements, I reckon you could make the Brembo caliper fit with some spacers or a different bracket.
Most of the other redneck KYB to KTM threads show it that way.
Ya without a bracket it’s way off... but I have the kawi one so I’m all good👍🏻 I have a oversized rotor and a steel braided line on the way
mwssquad827
4/17/2020 12:56pm
Me and a buddy took the lugs off of the kawi and the husky to see if we could swap the lugs and it can be done of you machine (or drill if you are confident enough to make straight and centered) the wp lugs.. the wp lugs at just a bit to small to accept the rebound adjuster for the kyb forks... and it would be obviously permanent so I couldnt put the wp back to stock to sell.. so I ordered all the parts to freshen up the kawi brakes and kyb forks and will rebuild all that next week and then button up the front end so I can ride it before I racetech the suspension...

Side note the lug offset is different on the lugs so the kawi has a bigger offset so it will make it more straight line stable and take away some turning.. very minor as it’s 1-2mm difference (we eyeball measured it with a caliper tool) but still a different offset🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
mwmx54
4/29/2020 9:49pm
Me and a buddy took the lugs off of the kawi and the husky to see if we could swap the lugs and it can be...
Me and a buddy took the lugs off of the kawi and the husky to see if we could swap the lugs and it can be done of you machine (or drill if you are confident enough to make straight and centered) the wp lugs.. the wp lugs at just a bit to small to accept the rebound adjuster for the kyb forks... and it would be obviously permanent so I couldnt put the wp back to stock to sell.. so I ordered all the parts to freshen up the kawi brakes and kyb forks and will rebuild all that next week and then button up the front end so I can ride it before I racetech the suspension...

Side note the lug offset is different on the lugs so the kawi has a bigger offset so it will make it more straight line stable and take away some turning.. very minor as it’s 1-2mm difference (we eyeball measured it with a caliper tool) but still a different offset🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Is it possible to make the kyb adjuster fit in the wp lug, is to machine the kyb rebound adjusters to the same spec as the wp lug, which I have done, as well as many others. Google wp cc to kyb sss conversions.
mwssquad827
4/30/2020 5:14pm
Yes it’s possible to make the kyb work in the wp lug.. I don’t want to machine my wp lugs as when I sell bike I will throw the wp stuff on to sell and take the kyb stuff off.. I have it all ready to go this weekend, I’m pumped to have spring forks again!!👍🏻👍🏻
YZed250
8/26/2020 12:19pm
Yes it’s possible to make the kyb work in the wp lug.. I don’t want to machine my wp lugs as when I sell bike I...
Yes it’s possible to make the kyb work in the wp lug.. I don’t want to machine my wp lugs as when I sell bike I will throw the wp stuff on to sell and take the kyb stuff off.. I have it all ready to go this weekend, I’m pumped to have spring forks again!!👍🏻👍🏻
Any update?
mwssquad827
8/26/2020 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 9:49pm
Ya I have been racing and riding on them.. since end of April... I have the complete 08 kawi front end on the bike..(forks, wheel, brake setup) love them, so much better than the air... gonna racetech gold valve them over the winter
15tc150
8/28/2020 4:56pm
Its been done, that’s what al dyck from tootrick/sss will do, drop the kyb internals right into your aer legs, I asked him to tune my 4cs, and he told me 2g to put kyb/sss internals on the table, and he will fit them into the wp legs, I asked if there was anything else, he didn’t really give me a good answer, but just got the gist that he wouldn’t waste his time if I didn’t go kyb internals :/

Post a reply to: Redneck WP to KYB fork job

The Latest