Rmz - Rm compatibility Please Look

If I were to swap an RMZ swingarm onto an RM which im pretty sure works does any one know if the rear brake caliper would work as well? The thing that hooks onto the swingarm on the caliper is different and I need to know if it would still work on the wheel correctly.
|
Turbojez
9/21/2017 11:52pm
If I were to swap an RMZ swingarm onto an RM which im pretty sure works does any one know if the rear brake caliper would...
If I were to swap an RMZ swingarm onto an RM which im pretty sure works does any one know if the rear brake caliper would work as well? The thing that hooks onto the swingarm on the caliper is different and I need to know if it would still work on the wheel correctly.
I think It won't work with RM wheel. RMZ uses bigger axle diameter, therefore caliper carrier is also bigger than RM part.
RussB
Fantasy
986th
9/22/2017 1:46am
You would need to use an entire RMZ rear end (wheel, brake, axle etc) if you were to do this.

The RMZ and RM rear brakes do not switch over unfortunately
9/22/2017 5:40am
If I were to swap an RMZ swingarm onto an RM which im pretty sure works does any one know if the rear brake caliper would...
Turbojez wrote:
I think It won't work with RM wheel. RMZ uses bigger axle diameter, therefore caliper carrier is also bigger than RM part.
Didn't think of that, the older ones might be the same size but I don't know for sure. Do you happen to have an older axle laying around?
9/22/2017 5:40am
RussB wrote:
You would need to use an entire RMZ rear end (wheel, brake, axle etc) if you were to do this. The RMZ and RM rear brakes...
You would need to use an entire RMZ rear end (wheel, brake, axle etc) if you were to do this.

The RMZ and RM rear brakes do not switch over unfortunately
Why not? If you're talking about the bracket I already mentioned that wouldn't be a problem.

The Shop

9/22/2017 5:46am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 6:01am
Turbojez wrote:
Well my plan was to use the bigger "caliper carrier" but im now realzing that the axle is indeed larger than my RM axle but I can machine a spacer to gently press im to fix my RM axle. With an RMZ calieper and RMZ swingarm with that mod it should work if I still use my RM wheel and RM axle. Also when I asked of the caliper would work I meant would it fit around the brake disk correctly to at least some degree, I know the RMZ caliper holder is indeed larger but the spacer should slove that.
kwenske321
9/22/2017 6:51am
Interested to see how this works out! Keep us updated.
9/22/2017 6:58am
kwenske321 wrote:
Interested to see how this works out! Keep us updated.
Yea I have a plan now, if I use an older RMZ swing arm and caliper and press an aluminum spacer into the RMZ caliper it should work just fine.
9/22/2017 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2017 2:59pm
My rmz450 had a 32mm axle, my 08 rm250 has a 25mm axle. I'd be willing to bet t that the swingarm bolt is way bigger as well.
Bruce372
9/22/2017 8:07pm
The rm and rmz wheels are significantly different with the spacing between sprocket and disk.
It's gonna look a real mess, and maybe dangerous getting the sprocket in line with the counter sprocket
9/28/2017 7:48am
Bruce372 wrote:
The rm and rmz wheels are significantly different with the spacing between sprocket and disk. It's gonna look a real mess, and maybe dangerous getting the...
The rm and rmz wheels are significantly different with the spacing between sprocket and disk.
It's gonna look a real mess, and maybe dangerous getting the sprocket in line with the counter sprocket
Thats why we have the invention of inventing, machining.
RussB
Fantasy
986th
9/28/2017 8:02am
Yea I have a plan now, if I use an older RMZ swing arm and caliper and press an aluminum spacer into the RMZ caliper it...
Yea I have a plan now, if I use an older RMZ swing arm and caliper and press an aluminum spacer into the RMZ caliper it should work just fine.
If you plan on using an RM wheel and axle in an RMZ swingarm then you will also need to machine something to fill the difference in the swingarm slots for the axle.
RM axle blocks may work in an RMZ swingarm, if not you will need to use RMZ blocks and get spacers machined for those as well.

And as Bruce372 stated the RM and RMZ wheel spacing is different so you will then need to get custom spacers machined for the RM wheel to hold it in the correct place in the RMZ swingarm.

An RMZ wheel and axle would be an easier and safer option.

Also, have you looked into the linkage positioning on the RMZ swingarm to see if it differs from the RM?
If the linkage knuckle bolt hole position is different in relation to the swingarm frame pivot hole then it could potentially effect the rising rate curve of the linkage and create a funky handling rear end, it could also cause the rear end to sit at the wrong height.

Post a reply to: Rmz - Rm compatibility Please Look

The Latest