Run away bike

Edited Date/Time 1/24/2020 11:39am
Hey so I have a 2002 Honda cr125 it ran great I took it apart to freshen everything up didn’t touch the motor though. Put it back together and it ran away on me and when I went to hit the kill switch I got electrocuted. The bike eventually shut off from me turning the gas off and shifting through the gears. What could cause this and how can I test instead of buying a bunch of parts just to test it out? Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.
|
Paul_Pitzonka
1/14/2020 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 6:24pm
What all did you remove and replace? 2 stroke runaways are Normally caused by a lean condition, (majority of the time it’s due to a large air leak)... I’d be concerned about possible damage to your piston...
Paw Paw 271
1/14/2020 6:35pm
If the bike set for a long period of time with fuel in the carb while the work was being done, then I would look at a clogged pilot jet. Could also be a hanging throttle cable or sticking carb slide.

Paw Paw
mwssquad827
1/14/2020 8:59pm
It’s a air leak... check for leaks around the reed cage or motor side of the carb...
WEAL
1/15/2020 1:20am
Throttle goes all the way down? You have play in the cable?

The Shop

charlie68
1/15/2020 8:32am
Im with Paw Paw, throttle cable binding, does the slide snap back after twisting the throttle?
Tumblin
1/21/2020 8:22am
On a snow ride my back in '74 my CZ400 throttle stuck pinned. After trying the kill button, I put her in 4th and jumped on it only to gave the beast launch out from underneath me up the side embankment and fortunately back at me so I could round heal kick it to a rest before it launched into the abyss of the cut block below.
I ripped the plug wire from her jugular only to have the bitch still scream! Finally I shut off the fuel and turned away so not to see the horror play out before me.
Ice packed around a ventricular intake stays very cold.
1/22/2020 2:02am
Tumblin wrote:
On a snow ride my back in '74 my CZ400 throttle stuck pinned. After trying the kill button, I put her in 4th and jumped on...
On a snow ride my back in '74 my CZ400 throttle stuck pinned. After trying the kill button, I put her in 4th and jumped on it only to gave the beast launch out from underneath me up the side embankment and fortunately back at me so I could round heal kick it to a rest before it launched into the abyss of the cut block below.
I ripped the plug wire from her jugular only to have the bitch still scream! Finally I shut off the fuel and turned away so not to see the horror play out before me.
Ice packed around a ventricular intake stays very cold.
Omg these are horror stories lmao
wwdiii
1/23/2020 4:50am
I was thinking about stuck throttles from back in my youth, which was a long time back. I'd guess it was 1973,74 can't remember. Was racing on a track I'd never been to before in Lawton Oklahoma. Was running second and ended up second, some guy on a Yamaha was fast was out front. He as fast between corners, I was faster through the corners. I could never catch him.

Got to the finishline and when I lef off the throttle my trusty CZ just kept going, throttle was stuck about 3/4 open. I ran through the crowd and almost to the parking lot. Only thing saved me was those plastic flags they had strung out to mark the track. I must have had a 50 yards worth of flagging around my sproket. slowed me down enough when I went down didn't hit to hard and throttle unstuck. People were running all over the place it was crazy. Shit happens when you race enough
1/24/2020 7:07am
I actually laughed out loud when i read you claimed to be electrocuted from the kill switch... relax maby you got shocked alittle
Bent206
1/24/2020 11:39am
I had a run away situation on a recent build. Luckily I was able to pull the clutch in and kill the motor. It wasn't as bad as the horror stories I've read. I did learn a valuable lesson though. Always check the intake boot on 25+ year old bike. I cleaned the Rad Valve intake boot on this 1992 KX250. I never noticed the cracks in it because of the clamp design. You can see easily see the problem with it flexed. New on top....old below.

Post a reply to: Run away bike

The Latest