Sandblasting engine

z71will
I have my engine completely apart and all the bearings and seals out. I'm getting the bottom end powdercoated and the entire engine will be sandblasted, including the cylinder and head. My question is will the sand leave indentions in places like the sealing surface of the crank cases or anything like that? Will it damage anything? Also will it scratch up my cylinder and will it leave a dull finish?
|
10/9/2017 1:04pm
I've always wondered this same thing if sand blasting would leave sharp precise edges rounded.
MX690
10/9/2017 2:13pm
Anything you don't want sand blasted, basically any machined surface, tape it up, use a thick heavy cloth duct tape it works wonders for protecting surfaces from sandblasting. Even go to the extent of plugging threaded holes up. I certainly wouldn't want my cylinder sandblasted or valve seats. If you have some old valves, tape them in to the head to protect the valve seats from sand blasting. Basically any machined surface should be protected.
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 2:38pm
As above, tape machined faces. Also can you do something thats not so abrasive like sodablasting or vapor blasting?
z71will
10/9/2017 2:51pm
MX690 wrote:
Anything you don't want sand blasted, basically any machined surface, tape it up, use a thick heavy cloth duct tape it works wonders for protecting surfaces...
Anything you don't want sand blasted, basically any machined surface, tape it up, use a thick heavy cloth duct tape it works wonders for protecting surfaces from sandblasting. Even go to the extent of plugging threaded holes up. I certainly wouldn't want my cylinder sandblasted or valve seats. If you have some old valves, tape them in to the head to protect the valve seats from sand blasting. Basically any machined surface should be protected.
Ok thanks for the advice I'll try that out

The Shop

z71will
10/9/2017 2:51pm
Acidreamer wrote:
As above, tape machined faces. Also can you do something thats not so abrasive like sodablasting or vapor blasting?
I'll ask but will that get engine paint off?
MX690
10/9/2017 7:10pm
Acidreamer wrote:
z71will wrote:
I'll ask but will that get engine paint off?
Yes paint will blast off easy, Acidreamer is correct sandblasting is extremely course, Garnett blasting is a lot better or as he mentioned sodablasting. Most people in that business should know what to blast it with without destroying it. Good luck.
10/10/2017 3:04am
If you're doing it, use soda. It might take awhile but it'll get done and it's cheap to set up.

If you have someone else do you, I think they can get away with a very fine sand media.
10/10/2017 3:47am
Acidreamer wrote:
What if you ran just baking soda in your sandblaster? Could you also run water in a sandblaster?
Acidreamer
10/10/2017 6:05am
Acidreamer wrote:
What if you ran just baking soda in your sandblaster? Could you also run water in a sandblaster?
I dont know much about the actual blasting stuff. I know with cabinets you can change the media but not sure if any cabinet can use soda. I send my stuff to a local shop. They sodablast engine cases for me for $20.

Vapor blasting is for sure a special cabinet. You definitely want to send your parts out for that.
swatdoc
10/10/2017 5:38pm
sandblasting - actually aluminum oxide - works great for things you are going to powdercoat or painted. What I do is bolt the cases, cylinder, and head together with as few bolts as possible. Plug any threaded holes that remain. This way none of the machined surfaces will be blasted.
After blasting, disassemble, then lightly blast just the few areas that the bolt heads covered up.
10/10/2017 6:52pm
Acidreamer wrote:
I dont know much about the actual blasting stuff. I know with cabinets you can change the media but not sure if any cabinet can use...
I dont know much about the actual blasting stuff. I know with cabinets you can change the media but not sure if any cabinet can use soda. I send my stuff to a local shop. They sodablast engine cases for me for $20.

Vapor blasting is for sure a special cabinet. You definitely want to send your parts out for that.
I don't see why not, except you will have other media contaminating it unless you clean it spotless.

Soda blasting setup is cheap; just need a consistent compressor.
Squidward
10/10/2017 7:32pm
Im in love with vapor blasting. I wanted to get a setup until I saw how much it was... I checked out the cheap soda blasters from harbor freight, eastwood, etc. They all seemed like crap though. You're going to end up spending thousands if you want yourself a really good setup. Sounds like taking it to a shop is the best way to go.
swatdoc
10/13/2017 6:34pm
soda blasting and vapor blasting are great, but not for powdercoating. You want a rough surface with some "tooth" for the powdercoat or paint to stick to. Same goes for Cerakoting. The instructions specifically tell you to sandblast with 100-120 grit prior to spraying

Post a reply to: Sandblasting engine

The Latest