Oil change cone valve fork - pics

mx4all
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2022 2:46pm
Hi

Has someone got a workshop/service manual for WP cone valve fork MX4800 2016?

I only got a owners manual when I bought it used and there is no info on how to service it or oil levels and such.

I have searched and found out that 385ml is standard (420ml max) for the outer chamber and 185ml is standard for the inner, is that correct?

I have dissasembled the fork but not the inner closed cartridge yet. I think I need a special tool for that.. Would really appriciate if someone got a service manual so I know what d f I am doin Smile
|
swatdoc
4/17/2017 8:34pm
That's all I got with my brand new set.
mx4all
4/18/2017 12:57am
swatdoc wrote:
That's all I got with my brand new set.
ok, have you changed oil in the inner chamber?

Is it just to open it up, poor the oil out and fill it up with new fresh oil? There is no nitrogen in this fork, right?
mx4all
4/18/2017 11:06am

So I opened The inner cartridge and turned it up side down but there were almost no oil in there. I got out about 385cc from the outer chamber. What have I missed?
swatdoc
4/18/2017 7:33pm
Havent pulled mine apart yet. When that time comes I'll call Billy at Powerband.

BTW, my AER CV forks should be here Friday!!!!

The Shop

thearc
2/11/2018 7:37pm
Any updates on this? I'm in the same boat.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/11/2018 8:29pm
If I’m just doing a fast oil change, I leave the inner oil. I’ll swap out the outer oil very easy. Whenever factory connection service my forks I have them do everything.
thearc
2/11/2018 8:48pm
If I’m just doing a fast oil change, I leave the inner oil. I’ll swap out the outer oil very easy. Whenever factory connection service my...
If I’m just doing a fast oil change, I leave the inner oil. I’ll swap out the outer oil very easy. Whenever factory connection service my forks I have them do everything.
So for that just pop off the top and drain em, put back in the same amount?
That simple?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/11/2018 11:23pm
If I’m just doing a fast oil change, I leave the inner oil. I’ll swap out the outer oil very easy. Whenever factory connection service my...
thearc wrote:
So for that just pop off the top and drain em, put back in the same amount?
That simple?
Yeah unscrew the large outer cap with a wrench(not the inner cap with 4 holes) drain oil, let it sit upside down for 30 minutes. Refill and tighten the cap.
aees
2/12/2018 1:09am
Dont forget to turn the cartridges upside down for some minutes to get all oil out of the little pocket just below the top lid. Might need to do that 2-3 times at least or until no more oil comes from that pocket and the holes you see in the pictures
jvail134
2/20/2018 4:51pm
Is that oil, or did someone put soup in your forks ?
thearc
2/20/2018 5:00pm
That's what I got for riding in wet weather all the time! North West Life!
aees
2/21/2018 12:19am
WP oil gets like that after a while, just because it is almost transparent/yellow when new. Highest quality you can get though.
bowser
2/21/2018 2:33am
Don't understand why guys aren't changing inner and outer oils. Takes bugger all more effort to do.
You also realise the oils mix ( not a heap but they do)
mx4all
7/23/2018 12:14pm
Does anyone know what s the difference between these forks? Got two sets, both should be 2017. Why do they got different colors?

bowser
7/23/2018 4:30pm
are both uppers black?
17's were the first model to have the black uppers, if they the silver then they are 16's or older
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/23/2018 10:10pm
I’ve never seen black lugs. Doesn’t looks any different, I bet someone just got them anodized
lumpy790
7/24/2018 6:03am
Food for thought .....

The oil inside the cartridge is the oil that does the dampening and heat and dampening friction breaks down velocity so it is much more important than the oil inside the fork leg that lubes the fork seal and amount changes fork air volume.
lumpy790
7/24/2018 6:06am
bowser wrote:
Don't understand why guys aren't changing inner and outer oils. Takes bugger all more effort to do. You also realise the oils mix ( not a...
Don't understand why guys aren't changing inner and outer oils. Takes bugger all more effort to do.
Inner is not sealed? Or is it like the old SHOWA & KYB that bleed back and forth at the bottom?
dmm698
7/24/2018 1:08pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Food for thought ..... The oil inside the cartridge is the oil that does the dampening and heat and dampening friction breaks down velocity so it...
Food for thought .....

The oil inside the cartridge is the oil that does the dampening and heat and dampening friction breaks down velocity so it is much more important than the oil inside the fork leg that lubes the fork seal and amount changes fork air volume.
was thinking the same thing... why even bother doing the outer if you arent doing the inner.... all the major heat and shear forces on the oil come in the inner chamber..
thearc
7/24/2018 1:21pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Food for thought ..... The oil inside the cartridge is the oil that does the dampening and heat and dampening friction breaks down velocity so it...
Food for thought .....

dmm698 wrote:
was thinking the same thing... why even bother doing the outer if you arent doing the inner.... all the major heat and shear forces on the...
was thinking the same thing... why even bother doing the outer if you arent doing the inner.... all the major heat and shear forces on the oil come in the inner chamber..
Anyone have instruction for doing the inners?
bowser
7/24/2018 3:44pm
bowser wrote:
Don't understand why guys aren't changing inner and outer oils. Takes bugger all more effort to do. You also realise the oils mix ( not a...
lumpy790 wrote:
Inner is not sealed? Or is it like the old SHOWA & KYB that bleed back and forth at the bottom?
They are just like all other twin cart forks, the rod seal will bypass a small amount from the outer to the inner, this builds up and gets ejected to the outer cart via the ICS piston during bottoming out.

changing the inner inner is also no different with these forks to other closed cart forks, remove the inner top cap, slide out the rod, drain/clean, put the rod back in, fill with oil and bleed, put inner top cap back on - very basic but you get the idea
mx4all
7/25/2018 4:16am
bowser wrote:
are both uppers black?
17's were the first model to have the black uppers, if they the silver then they are 16's or older
Yes both are black
justme1
5/5/2022 5:15pm
bowser wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
bowser wrote:
They are just like all other twin cart forks, the rod seal will bypass a small amount from the outer to the inner, this builds up...
They are just like all other twin cart forks, the rod seal will bypass a small amount from the outer to the inner, this builds up and gets ejected to the outer cart via the ICS piston during bottoming out.

changing the inner inner is also no different with these forks to other closed cart forks, remove the inner top cap, slide out the rod, drain/clean, put the rod back in, fill with oil and bleed, put inner top cap back on - very basic but you get the idea
So, if I take the cartridge without open it, can oil come out?

I am asking this because I opened the forks to change a bad seal with no plan to change the cartridge oil.
I am not sure but I think some oil went out of the cartridge when I put them apart upside down..

The rare part was that the rod wasn't staying extended, It tried to compress, this is weird right? I had to use wire to put it back on...

My theory is that somehow oil went out of the cartridge without removing the cap and air came in...

Am I right?
bvm111
5/10/2022 2:46pm
I have two questions regarding servicing the newer CV forks.

1. is there a special tool to remove the red anodized fork seal holder or will a rubber strap wrench work?

2. where do you purchase the seals and bushings or are they the same as standard AER forks and where can you source them?

Any info is appreciated!

Post a reply to: Oil change cone valve fork - pics

The Latest