StarCross 5 for Southern Ca. tracks. Which compound?

SrfNdirt
I thought I heard somewhere that soft terrain is the choice for so cal tracks. Or is medium the way to go?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/15/2019 4:32pm
I tried the soft but thought it was too soft. Even going up to 14psi I felt like the front was slick when it got hardpack. I feel the medium works better in so Cal. Even though I still prefer Dunlop 33s
FiendzCC
7/15/2019 10:06pm
Great tires, lightweight too. I love the Softs for front and rear (I ride Cahuilla, Pala, Perris, Glen Helen), but I chunk knobs like crazy on the rear after a few good rides. The fronts hold up surprisingly well for being a soft compound, my last set doesn't have any splitting on the front, while the rear is completely missing multiple knobs both side and middle.

If I ever hop off the Hoosier train and go back to Michelins, I'm going Soft front with a Medium on the rear. The Medium seems to hold up better with the hard bases of the tracks around here, and I didn't feel much of a sacrifice in traction with it over the Soft.
7/17/2019 6:21am
FiendzCC wrote:
Great tires, lightweight too. I love the Softs for front and rear (I ride Cahuilla, Pala, Perris, Glen Helen), but I chunk knobs like crazy on...
Great tires, lightweight too. I love the Softs for front and rear (I ride Cahuilla, Pala, Perris, Glen Helen), but I chunk knobs like crazy on the rear after a few good rides. The fronts hold up surprisingly well for being a soft compound, my last set doesn't have any splitting on the front, while the rear is completely missing multiple knobs both side and middle.

If I ever hop off the Hoosier train and go back to Michelins, I'm going Soft front with a Medium on the rear. The Medium seems to hold up better with the hard bases of the tracks around here, and I didn't feel much of a sacrifice in traction with it over the Soft.
It's not a soft computed as I understand. They tire is for soft ground and therefore if anything will be made of a harder compound (not sure that Michelin actually use different compounds though). The tread pattern spaces the knobs further apart. (I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, apologies if it comes across that way.)
I also had the same problem with losing chunks off the rear tyre, but that was mainly from using it on the wrong kind of surface. I also found the front letting go quite suddenly when using it on the wrong surface and can't blame the tire for that. I'm not in California but I currently have the mediums on my bike and they're definatley a good all round tire.

Post a reply to: StarCross 5 for Southern Ca. tracks. Which compound?

The Latest