Tools for Changing Fork Seals

usafwx
Hate to say this, but I've never actually changed my own fork seals, bikes before always had FC stuff and would get yearly service. Running stock now and time to change the seals (developed a leak). Looking at videos looks straight forward. Was going to invest in some tools such as fork wrench, the holder adapter thing, etc, any recommendations and suggestions to what you all use for doing this. Thanks in advance! Zach
|
usafwx
1/12/2019 11:26am
casper wrote:
You will also need a fork seal driver, a fork seal bullet, and maybe some soft vice covers if you have a vice.
Thanks! Already added to cart. Best thing for the oil? I've heard syringe or the tube thing. Need to invest in a vice for sure and some covers.
1/12/2019 11:55am
Race tech makes a handy tool for holding the lower tube away from the rebound rod to remove the end cap. Not sure what it is called but it looks like an "H". It's a hard plastic so it won't scratch the rebound rod. Other tool companies have them on the end of wrenches.

The Shop

usafwx
1/12/2019 12:22pm
Rmatv calls it a cartridge rod holding tool.
Thanks man. Added to cart!
1/12/2019 1:22pm
casper wrote:
You will also need a fork seal driver, a fork seal bullet, and maybe some soft vice covers if you have a vice.
usafwx wrote:
Thanks! Already added to cart. Best thing for the oil? I've heard syringe or the tube thing. Need to invest in a vice for sure and...
Thanks! Already added to cart. Best thing for the oil? I've heard syringe or the tube thing. Need to invest in a vice for sure and some covers.
You can get away without the fork seal bullet, I just put a piece of insulation tape around the sharp edge.
usafwx
1/12/2019 3:11pm
You can get away without the fork seal bullet, I just put a piece of insulation tape around the sharp edge.
Thanks man.
mwssquad827
1/12/2019 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 8:47pm
casper wrote:
usafwx wrote:
Thanks! Already added to cart. Best thing for the oil? I've heard syringe or the tube thing. Need to invest in a vice for sure and...
I just use the baggy that the parts come in... that’s how I was taught back in the day... it with the right tools it’s super simple.. I did mine last night...
casper
1/13/2019 12:29pm
usafwx wrote:
I just use the baggy that the parts come in... that’s how I was taught back in the day... it with the right tools it’s super...
I just use the baggy that the parts come in... that’s how I was taught back in the day... it with the right tools it’s super simple.. I did mine last night...
That's what I used to do. The fork seal bullet is a "nice to have" tool but it's not needed. I just bought it last time I did seals because it only $5.

Post a reply to: Tools for Changing Fork Seals

The Latest