Ultrasonic cleaner solution recommendations?

8/28/2017 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2017 9:26am
My sister is a dental assistant and her office just got a new Ultrasonic cleaner, so she hooked me up with their old one. Really stoked to finally have one of these. Have a '74 Honda XL100 carb in there now. Using some of the cleaning solution my sis gave me (1oz of the solution to almost 1gal of distilled water), but it's meant for dental instruments so I think a cleaner meant to cut grease and clean aluminum would work even better. Any recommendations?? (from personal experience preferably) I did some googling and saw people saying everything from Pine Sol to Alumabrite.

|
Squidward
8/28/2017 9:38pm
My dad's gotta Hornady ultrasonic case cleaner, we've never used it but got it for carbs too. The one shot solution comes in gallon containers and can be bought at scheels, cabellas, etc. Sporting stores. If I remember correctly he said it can work fine on carbs too. I'm not positive but hey, you could give it a shot
8/29/2017 10:10am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2017 10:12am
Got this response from another site:

I've cleaned carbs professionally for many years with an ultrasonic. I got one when they were thousands of dollars. You can find me at http://www.keepyourmotorrunnin.com. Unless someone here has literally cleaned thousands of carbs and can tell me differently based on years experience then I can only recommend Simple Green HD. It MUST be the HD. DO NOT use the regular green Simple Green. It will ruin carbs. The HD is only sold at Home Depot around me. Mix it one part HD and 5 parts water. Make sure it is heated. Also, test your ultrasonic to make sure the transducers are still good. you can do it with aluminum foil. Look it up. DO NOT put brass floats in there for very long. It will blow holes in them. Once you see the aluminum foil test you'll know why.

Taking this as the gospel until someone can convince me otherwise

1 part this stuff to 5 parts water
Paw Paw
8/29/2017 10:43am
Got this response from another site: I've cleaned carbs professionally for many years with an ultrasonic. I got one when they were thousands of dollars. You...
Got this response from another site:

I've cleaned carbs professionally for many years with an ultrasonic. I got one when they were thousands of dollars. You can find me at http://www.keepyourmotorrunnin.com. Unless someone here has literally cleaned thousands of carbs and can tell me differently based on years experience then I can only recommend Simple Green HD. It MUST be the HD. DO NOT use the regular green Simple Green. It will ruin carbs. The HD is only sold at Home Depot around me. Mix it one part HD and 5 parts water. Make sure it is heated. Also, test your ultrasonic to make sure the transducers are still good. you can do it with aluminum foil. Look it up. DO NOT put brass floats in there for very long. It will blow holes in them. Once you see the aluminum foil test you'll know why.

Taking this as the gospel until someone can convince me otherwise

1 part this stuff to 5 parts water
X2

Paw Paw

The Shop

pete24
8/29/2017 11:56am
im not here to get in a pissing contest but i have been running regular simple green in mine for ten years and have cleaned a shit load of carbs
1 gallon simple green
6 gallons water
150 degrees
people send me lots of carbs, no complaints

Paw Paw
8/29/2017 12:53pm
No pissing contest assumed....I used that for a long time and still do when I can't get the HD stuff. To me either works better than the current plan carb soak in a can. The new carb soak in a can is just not what we had in the old days.
Your way with either product works great!

Paw Paw
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
8/30/2017 9:26am
I have always used regular simple green as well. Never ruined a carburetor. Not even sure how that could even happen. It's biodegradable.

Post a reply to: Ultrasonic cleaner solution recommendations?

The Latest