WP AER 48 Forks

1/10/2018 5:21pm
The stock air pressure calls for 10.6 bar.

Ive seen a few of you suggest you were more comfortable with it down to 10.3 and even lower.

Forgive my ignorance, as Im trying to learn/understand suspension better. But shouldnt the air pressure be set based on the weight of the rider?

And then play with the rebound & compression dampening from there?

Is there a chart that has recommended air pressure based on weight?
|
captmoto
1/10/2018 11:04pm
I think there are too many variables like your weight, speed, riding style track conditions like hardpack vs. mud or sand, rough downhills, sx type vs. natural terrain and obstacles. FWIW MXA found that you could get away with way less air pressure and use the compression adjuster to tune it in. I think they were down around 142 lbs vs. 156 or 10.6 bar. You should probably just start playing with the pressure and adjusters. If you get confused go back to your base settings and compare how the bike feels. You probably got a ways to go before you can ride, right?
1/10/2018 11:24pm
captmoto wrote:
I think there are too many variables like your weight, speed, riding style track conditions like hardpack vs. mud or sand, rough downhills, sx type vs...
I think there are too many variables like your weight, speed, riding style track conditions like hardpack vs. mud or sand, rough downhills, sx type vs. natural terrain and obstacles. FWIW MXA found that you could get away with way less air pressure and use the compression adjuster to tune it in. I think they were down around 142 lbs vs. 156 or 10.6 bar. You should probably just start playing with the pressure and adjusters. If you get confused go back to your base settings and compare how the bike feels. You probably got a ways to go before you can ride, right?
10.6 bar = 154 psi ... Ive found that was based on a 187 lb rider.

According to Race-Tech’s calculator...

10.0 bar = 146 psi ... 170 lb rider
9.6 bar = 140 psi ... 150 lb rider

Shouldnt spring rate be based on rider weight and that alone? (save for the drastic differences between MX & SX)

FWIW I would start the day at 10.3 bar. 2 hours of ride-time later it’s dropped to 9.8

The bike was far more comfortable to ride at that pressure. Which would coincide with Race-Tech’s recommendations. Then again, 2 hrs into a riding day and anything should get easier by proxy.

I’d love to start playing with the clickers. But I want to start from the right PSI first.

Motofinne
1/11/2018 12:32am
I have gone down with the pressure on my 2 bikes with the AER fork. But remember to play with the clickers too.

I had a few problems with the fork not using all of its stroke when i had 10.6-10.8 bar and adjusting the clickers didn't help that much. So i lowered the pressure a lot. To 10.0, problem solved.

atrdrvr7
1/11/2018 3:42am
I weigh 170. Vet Intermediate. I run them at 134psi. Feel super plush, excellent bottom resistance (way better than my 18' Honda). Best stock fork out there in my opinion. I was hesitant to run them that low also. MXA did a good write up about running them with less pressure.

The Shop

RussB
Fantasy
866th
1/11/2018 5:24am
I've never used WP AER's, but have experience with Showa SFF TAC's.
Yes, you are right that to an extent the pressure should be a 'set it and leave it' setting (once you have found a pressure that works well for your weight/style etc)
But one of the advantages with air forks over spring is having the ability to easily change the air pressure. This gives you more tuning options which is particularly useful when riding a variety of conditions, say from sand to hardpack, or from a natural track to a very jumpy track.

Set your clickers somewhere in the middle and then experiment with air pressures first. Measure your fork sag and/or use a zip tie to keep and eye on how much travel you're using as a guide.
AJ565
1/11/2018 6:18am
Intermediate, 174lbs without gear. On my '18 250sx I run them using MXA's settings for compression and rebound and the air pressure at 144 psi. I used a zip tie on the fork to get the pressures where I was almost bottomed out. I start with 144psi at all the tracks I ride at and adjust from there and how rough the track is. For me it seems 142psi is to low and I start to bottom on bigger jumps if I slightly over jump them. Now that I have the jetting mostly sorted out I've started to play more with suspension settings so this could change.

Post a reply to: WP AER 48 Forks

The Latest