Warp9 spoke torque wrench - the best bang for the buck?

Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 1:24am
Is there a spoke torque wrench out there with better value than the Warp9 for $95? The multiple size heads are a huge plus, just curious how well the tool is made. Anyone have experience with this tool, or others like it?

|
BenG
2/16/2018 11:56am
I just bought one a few weeks ago and it feels solid. I haven't used it yet but I believe it was the best deal bc of all the sizes it came with. I needed the spline and would have had to buy that separate with the other sets.
FiendzCC
2/16/2018 12:02pm
Excel makes one with 5 or 6 tips, comes with the spline tip as well. Fully adjustable knob. Runs around $120. Doesn't come with a second wrench like this warp9 kit appears to come with though. I'm just a fan of RK Excel haha
BenG
2/16/2018 3:32pm
FiendzCC wrote:
Excel makes one with 5 or 6 tips, comes with the spline tip as well. Fully adjustable knob. Runs around $120. Doesn't come with a second...
Excel makes one with 5 or 6 tips, comes with the spline tip as well. Fully adjustable knob. Runs around $120. Doesn't come with a second wrench like this warp9 kit appears to come with though. I'm just a fan of RK Excel haha
I do have Excel wheels and spokes, I just thought this tool was a better value lol. At least I don't have Warp9 wheels and Excel tool.
BobPA
2/17/2018 6:19am
I would not worry about a spoke torque wrench. They are fine and dandy when your stuff is new, but are about useless after your spokes get corrosion on the threads. Learn to tighten your spokes by feel and sound. Save yourself the dough and just buy a nice wrench with changeable heads. I have this one in my tool box.

https://www.btosports.com/p/drc-pro-spoke-wrench/option/ProSpokeWrench?…

I build roughly 30 sets of wheels per year and have never used a torque wrench. I also have the Pro Circuit wrench that is permanently with my truing stand. Not even sure if PC still produces it.

The Shop

2/17/2018 6:29am
BobPA wrote:
I would not worry about a spoke torque wrench. They are fine and dandy when your stuff is new, but are about useless after your spokes...
I would not worry about a spoke torque wrench. They are fine and dandy when your stuff is new, but are about useless after your spokes get corrosion on the threads. Learn to tighten your spokes by feel and sound. Save yourself the dough and just buy a nice wrench with changeable heads. I have this one in my tool box.

I build roughly 30 sets of wheels per year and have never used a torque wrench. I also have the Pro Circuit wrench that is permanently with my truing stand. Not even sure if PC still produces it.
Good input, thanks Bob. Looking to add wheel truing to my list of in-house abilities, so I'm a rookie on this stuff. I understand wheel building takes patience though. I've got a lot over 20 bikes in my herd, so plenty of stubborn spokes in the bunch I'm certain. Sounds like I'm probably better off going by feel/sound like you mentioned.

30 sets of wheels a year? Geesh, you build them for others I assume? How about truing stands - whats your weapon of choice, and is this DRC gyro stand good for a noobs and pros alike? https://www.amazon.com/Stand-truing-balancing-wheels-bearing/dp/B008402…
BobPA
2/17/2018 7:25am
BobPA wrote:
I would not worry about a spoke torque wrench. They are fine and dandy when your stuff is new, but are about useless after your spokes...

Good input, thanks Bob. Looking to add wheel truing to my list of in-house abilities, so I'm a rookie on this stuff. I understand wheel building...
Good input, thanks Bob. Looking to add wheel truing to my list of in-house abilities, so I'm a rookie on this stuff. I understand wheel building takes patience though. I've got a lot over 20 bikes in my herd, so plenty of stubborn spokes in the bunch I'm certain. Sounds like I'm probably better off going by feel/sound like you mentioned.

30 sets of wheels a year? Geesh, you build them for others I assume? How about truing stands - whats your weapon of choice, and is this DRC gyro stand good for a noobs and pros alike? https://www.amazon.com/Stand-truing-balancing-wheels-bearing/dp/B008402…
If I were you I would just buy a good quality standard spoke wrench. Seeing you have an impressive fleet of bikes, you will have plenty of practice haha. With new wheels you the torque wrench is nice....But, you cannot just throw them together, tighten up the wheel, and expect it to be straight. Even brand new rims need to be trued up.

I build a bunch for my local powder coating shop, and numerous wheels for friends who like changing colors around. I actually have my truing stand set up in my living room so I can watch TV while I build them. I have used the $300 K&L stands, down to the $40 eBay cheapo stands. I paid $85 for my stand a few years ago. Something similar to this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Precision-Motorcycle-Static-Wheel-Bal…

I bought this one because it is wide enough for Harley wheels, and allows for static balancing of street bike wheels. You can get away with something cheaper if you do not want to balance. Buy yourself a cheap Harbor Freight magnetic dial indicator to check runout...It is much easier than eye balling it with the arm on the truing stand.
BenG
2/17/2018 11:37am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2018 3:41pm
I've been doing my spokes for years based on tone. Problem is I don't know if I'm really getting them tight enough.Our crf250 I had to tighten them almost every ride. Is there a trick to getting them to set so they stay tight?

So now I just built a cr125 with Excel rims and spokes and figured I would try to torque them and see if that does the trick. How do you determine the torque spec by the bike,wheel size or brand? Anyone help me out.

Edit: Found the info on Excel's site. Looks like all the same set at 45-50 lb or 5.1-5.6 N-m depending on manufacturer's specification, Excel pro wheels set at 48 lb or 5.5 N-m for those interested.
Slosh 112
2/21/2018 1:06am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 1:21am
FiendzCC wrote:
Excel makes one with 5 or 6 tips, comes with the spline tip as well. Fully adjustable knob. Runs around $120. Doesn't come with a second...

just got mine today, came with the solid bar cost $199 AUD.
Slosh 112
2/21/2018 1:24am
BenG wrote:
I've been doing my spokes for years based on tone. Problem is I don't know if I'm really getting them tight enough.Our crf250 I had to...
I've been doing my spokes for years based on tone. Problem is I don't know if I'm really getting them tight enough.Our crf250 I had to tighten them almost every ride. Is there a trick to getting them to set so they stay tight?

So now I just built a cr125 with Excel rims and spokes and figured I would try to torque them and see if that does the trick. How do you determine the torque spec by the bike,wheel size or brand? Anyone help me out.

Edit: Found the info on Excel's site. Looks like all the same set at 45-50 lb or 5.1-5.6 N-m depending on manufacturer's specification, Excel pro wheels set at 48 lb or 5.5 N-m for those interested.
They are always going to require some degree of periodic checking/tensioning but I think every ride is a bit excessive, try going past your usual set point and see if you can extend the time between pretensioning.

Also what method are you using to tension the spokes? start at valve stem, tighten a little bit then skip two spokes and tension the 4th?. May have to do a few laps till you get them all at the right tension or you could risk pulling the rim out of true.

Post a reply to: Warp9 spoke torque wrench - the best bang for the buck?

The Latest