Wheel Lacing Help with Kite Hub and Tusk Rim

DAG
Edited Date/Time 9/15/2018 6:38pm
Hello all,

I picked up a set of wheels for a YZ450 for cheap that came with Kite hubs,Excel A60 rims and Alpina spokes ( Kite brand/ones they recommend). The wheels were assembled amd used but the rim had seen a strong blow and needed to be replaced.

Since my intention was to use this as a sand/mud setup I was trying to keep overall cost down so I rolled the dice on Tusk rims and reused the Alpina spokes.

Everything trued up ok but I am not getting a straight spoke alignment as you can see. The spoke comes out of the nipple and then bends. This can't be good.

Does anyone know if this is a result of the rim hole spacing? Spoke nipple length? Just trying to figure out if I should get Tusk spokes and try again ( the cheaper route now) or get a DID/Excel rim. Thanks in advance for any advice.

|
BR8ES
9/15/2018 8:25am
I don't think it is the Tusk rims... I would get new spokes.
Paul_Pitzonka
9/15/2018 11:15am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2018 11:18am
you may have laced the rim incorrectly... it looks like the spoke nipples angles are wrong... your cross pattern looks correct the spoke location itself looks wrong to me... all the spoke need to be rotated and they will line up correctly... look at the photo the spoke with the arrow should be laced to the nipple with the red line drawn I believe...
DAG
9/15/2018 1:06pm
Ahhh ok...thank you for that. I see what you mean..yes this is my first time doing this...shall try again and let you know!
Paul_Pitzonka
9/15/2018 1:11pm
DAG wrote:
Ahhh ok...thank you for that. I see what you mean..yes this is my first time doing this...shall try again and let you know!
You may need new spokes if they are bent...

The Shop

9/15/2018 2:02pm
You’ve started off in the wrong direction mate , always start with bottoms first ! also put nipple into rim to see the right way to start off before you assemble any spokes into the rim
DAG
9/15/2018 6:38pm
Thank you all for the tips! I got it...took forever and a day but was a good distraction on a rainy day. Some stuff I learned: start on a big enough table to have PLENTY of room all around, every spoke should line right up, start with just a few threads on the nipples, then hand tight to snug while still on the table. If its not working its probably operator error! Cheers.

Post a reply to: Wheel Lacing Help with Kite Hub and Tusk Rim

The Latest