Related:
Create New Tag
Munson'd Munson'd
7/5/2020 9:16 AM

I’m freshening up the shock fluid in my xr400 via the factory service manual and when dumping out the fluid these pieces came out. There is nothing like that in the factory schematic. Somebody definitely had this thing apart before since the piece on the right was brazed to the top nut. Any ideas what those pieces are for?
Photo
miketherider miketherider
7/5/2020 12:53 PM

2 pieces on the left look like components for the damping adjuster. The nut looks like the top rod end nut from the damper rod.

I would take the whole shock apart and inventory all the pieces.

Photo

Munson'd Munson'd
7/5/2020 3:50 PM
miketherider wrote:

2 pieces on the left look ...more

Looks like everything is there for the damping adjuster. Im thinking the two pieces on the left are for the rebound adjuster. How the hell they got where they are is beyond me.

slipdog slipdog
7/5/2020 7:59 PM

They either flat ground the peening or didn't remove the peening enough(seems more likely to me) and broke off the top threads of the shaft exposing the internals. That's a no-no on a Showa shock and they tried to braze it back together. Unfortunately, that shaft is junk now.

Munson'd Munson'd
7/6/2020 3:22 AM
slipdog wrote:

They either flat ground ...more

Thanks for chiming in Slipdog. What is my best option from here? New shaft? New shock?

slipdog slipdog
7/6/2020 6:19 AM
Munson'd wrote:

Thanks for chiming in ...more

Ideally, a new shaft is the best option but they may be hard to find nowadays.

Another option that I'd forgotten about is that Race Tech sells a custom top nut especially for Showa shocks that have had the peening damaged. It may be worth a try as a very cheap alternative that could fix your problem.

Photo

Munson'd Munson'd
7/6/2020 6:24 AM
slipdog wrote:

Ideally, a new shaft is ...more

This would be awesome since the shaft is pretty much impossible to find. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

miketherider miketherider
7/6/2020 12:27 PM

He’s right on. Went through race tech bible and here is what the issue was.

Photo

Munson'd Munson'd
7/6/2020 1:33 PM

Sure shit. Yeah whoever did this revalve left me a nice present.

Munson'd Munson'd
7/10/2020 7:35 AM
Munson'd wrote:
I’m freshening up the ...more

I know the needle needs to face up in the shaft, but Im curious as to what position the seat(part on the left) needs to be in the needle. Like it shows here, or skinnier part touching the shaft bolt?

mx317 mx317
7/10/2020 9:38 AM

I can understand the other parts, but how did the rebound adjusting screw get in there?

Take it to the limit, one more time!

Munson'd Munson'd
7/10/2020 9:57 AM
mx317 wrote:

I can understand the other ...more

I took that to show that it was once brazed to that other piece.

bh bh
7/10/2020 1:21 PM
slipdog wrote:

They either flat ground ...more

Munson'd wrote:

Thanks for chiming in ...more

slipdog wrote:

Ideally, a new shaft is ...more

All the Honda showa shock shaft nuts I’ve ordered look like that.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry