Yamaha YZ250F 2019, Mods, Tips and more?

MDana87
1/17/2019 11:58am
MXA seems to be a big over-dramatic for me. Dunno what the photo upload limit is but I'll try to attach 5 shots of my '19 YZ250F showing:
1) my removal of the stock screen (this is more work than you would think)
2) dirty filter (note how dirty the intake horns are - it was a wet/sloppy day!)
3) backside of the dirty filter (showing no dirt ingestion or dry spots from beating against the screen that isn't there)
4) the inner cage after filter removal (showing no dirt paths from outside to inside under filter, and yes there is no grease on the outer lips of the filter/cage)
5) best closeup I could get of the intake boot with jacked up focusing of an iPhone camera

Couple things:
> I run the '18 YZ450F filter. It's slightly larger than the '19 250 filter as well as having the MXA article inner grommet- less chance of unsealing around the edge and better center rigidity.
> I also have not had a "caked" filter yet. Which will increase the low-pressure (vacuum) on the inside of the filter which will "tug" or pull the filter inward toward the intake boot more aggressively than a clean filter or partially dirty filter (shown). How this impacts edge seal is unknown to me as of this post.
> I don't run in beach sand or anything close to it. That probably reads more to the relationship of particle surface area/vacuum area versus the stickiness of filter oil your using than edge sealing anyway - but throwing it out there as a known variable that hasn't been tested.

FWIW, I like this so far but I'm still keeping my eye on it too...

Wolfey
1/18/2019 4:55am
Great idea on running the 18 filter. I think just having that rubber grommet so that the cage can go through , helps to hold the filter down for a better seal.
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/18/2019 7:53am
Great pictures and feedback Mdana87! is the fitmeant tight with the 2019 250 filter, that a the one little bigger is needed?

Also, do you really have to remove the backfire screen after a twin air with the spacer is installed? does it still smack it?
MDana87
1/18/2019 8:39am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Great pictures and feedback Mdana87! is the fitmeant tight with the 2019 250 filter, that a the one little bigger is needed? Also, do you really...
Great pictures and feedback Mdana87! is the fitmeant tight with the 2019 250 filter, that a the one little bigger is needed?

Also, do you really have to remove the backfire screen after a twin air with the spacer is installed? does it still smack it?
Honestly - originally, I got the 450 filter by accident. The 250 filter fits fine (IMO) with the backfire screen in place (Yamaha is smart, they know what they're doing). Even with the grommet, I would expect the Twin-Air filter to contact the screen under full-throttle or dirty filter conditions, albeit much less than the stock filter would.

I didn't want the backfire screen as I wanted to optimize the airbox to maximize top-end power. After removing the screen, I like the idea of the larger 450 filter just in case the filter gets pulled into the areas where the screen has been removed (the screen isn't there to support). I haven't seen this happen yet, but the extra security knowing the filter has less chance of slipping past the outer cage is nice to have.

Hope this helps.

The Shop

Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/19/2019 5:41am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Great pictures and feedback Mdana87! is the fitmeant tight with the 2019 250 filter, that a the one little bigger is needed? Also, do you really...

MDana87 wrote:
Honestly - originally, I got the 450 filter by accident. The 250 filter fits fine (IMO) with the backfire screen in place (Yamaha is smart, they...
Honestly - originally, I got the 450 filter by accident. The 250 filter fits fine (IMO) with the backfire screen in place (Yamaha is smart, they know what they're doing). Even with the grommet, I would expect the Twin-Air filter to contact the screen under full-throttle or dirty filter conditions, albeit much less than the stock filter would.

I didn't want the backfire screen as I wanted to optimize the airbox to maximize top-end power. After removing the screen, I like the idea of the larger 450 filter just in case the filter gets pulled into the areas where the screen has been removed (the screen isn't there to support). I haven't seen this happen yet, but the extra security knowing the filter has less chance of slipping past the outer cage is nice to have.

Hope this helps.
Yeah for sure helps alot, great help!
is the -19 450 filter the same size as the -18 450?
swtwtwtw
1/19/2019 10:57am
I cover the outer cage with a dry filter skin, filter stays clean for quite a while. Every couple hours I put on another clear dry skin, usually needs a cleaned filter at 4 hrs. SoCal riding and racing at MilestoneMX PerrisMX and GlenHelenMX
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/19/2019 3:13pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
I cover the outer cage with a dry filter skin, filter stays clean for quite a while. Every couple hours I put on another clear dry...
I cover the outer cage with a dry filter skin, filter stays clean for quite a while. Every couple hours I put on another clear dry skin, usually needs a cleaned filter at 4 hrs. SoCal riding and racing at MilestoneMX PerrisMX and GlenHelenMX
you mean one of those extra sand protection "bags" for the filter?
MDana87
1/20/2019 1:18pm
Hrzk75 wrote:

MDana87 wrote:
Honestly - originally, I got the 450 filter by accident. The 250 filter fits fine (IMO) with the backfire screen in place (Yamaha is smart, they...

Hope this helps.
Hrzk75 wrote:
Yeah for sure helps alot, great help!
is the -19 450 filter the same size as the -18 450?
Yes.
752dad
1/21/2019 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 4:37pm
Pulled ours apart to service for this season, it has 25 hours of moto only. I’m going to post the full build in the bike build section.
I discovered a couple things I feel like are worth sharing.
1) The starter boot/wrap has melted, the wire is fine.
2) The wiring harness has 2 small splice junctions and 2 what I believe to be diodes. Both of the diodes displayed corrosion, kind of surprising considering the low hours and we don’t use any wash chemicals.
All the connections were cleaned, dielectric greased and fully wrapped with vinyl electrical tape to prevent water intrusion. Attached picture was prior to taking the splice and diode apart.

Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/22/2019 12:33pm
752dad wrote:
Pulled ours apart to service for this season, it has 25 hours of moto only. I’m going to post the full build in the bike build...
Pulled ours apart to service for this season, it has 25 hours of moto only. I’m going to post the full build in the bike build section.
I discovered a couple things I feel like are worth sharing.
1) The starter boot/wrap has melted, the wire is fine.
2) The wiring harness has 2 small splice junctions and 2 what I believe to be diodes. Both of the diodes displayed corrosion, kind of surprising considering the low hours and we don’t use any wash chemicals.
All the connections were cleaned, dielectric greased and fully wrapped with vinyl electrical tape to prevent water intrusion. Attached picture was prior to taking the splice and diode apart.

thx for this!

someone i worked with who ride trials said when i asked if it would be good to electric spray every connection and then isolate tape it, if that would be good to keep corrosion away. he´s idea around it all is that water/moisture ALWAYs finds its way in there, no matter what and if you seal it pretty good it might make it stay inside the connections instead.

He usualy just unplug the connections once a week and respray them, might be more worth it i dont know. i will probably seal them with tape anyway...

And that starter wiring did not look to good! is it because of the exhaust i guess?
moto671z
1/22/2019 7:05pm
Today I popped my air box cover off and found a serrated washer lying just above my air box. Turns out it was the Dzus fastener retainer for the airbox. If you are running an open air box without the screen, keep a close eye on this.
752dad
1/27/2019 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 6:34pm
Serviced the engine Saturday, replaced the piston, checked the valve lash intake 005/.006 exhaust 008/.008 all good. Checked the clutch plates, well within specs.
A couple observations, the manual blows. The cable routing diagrams are terrible, finding the torque values is painful and there are errors.
1) the head bolts are now torque to yield, step one is shown as 30Nm and step two is 11Nm then 60° and 60° more. Steps 1&2 are reversed.
2) One of the outer head bolts is longer than the other 3.
3) They missed the conversion to inches on the clutch thickness specs.
4) The nut on the clutch basket is now staked in position. Better have a new nut on hand, or possibly just loctite it after you grind off the divot.
That’s all I have for now.
KC
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/28/2019 4:05am
Got the bike this friday, its does feel really good so far! Will have to wait a month or two before riding it for real, cheers for all the answers keep em up!

How many hours do you guys have on the bikes?
Lynch
1/28/2019 4:09am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2019 4:10am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Got the bike this friday, its does feel really good so far! Will have to wait a month or two before riding it for real, cheers...
Got the bike this friday, its does feel really good so far! Will have to wait a month or two before riding it for real, cheers for all the answers keep em up!

Spike tyres!
752dad
1/28/2019 5:36am
25 hours of strictly MX race and practice on ours.
KC
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/28/2019 6:11am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Got the bike this friday, its does feel really good so far! Will have to wait a month or two before riding it for real, cheers...

Lynch wrote:
Spike tyres!
I wish i had money for that! Searching for a extra set of rims right now, its the same from like 2010-2019 for Yamaha four strokes, right?
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/28/2019 6:13am
752dad wrote:
25 hours of strictly MX race and practice on ours.
KC
Cool, sounds promising if the valves has not moved in 25 hours! Cant say that about my last fourstroke
Lynch
1/28/2019 6:31am
Hrzk75 wrote:
I wish i had money for that! Searching for a extra set of rims right now, its the same from like 2010-2019 for Yamaha four strokes...
I wish i had money for that! Searching for a extra set of rims right now, its the same from like 2010-2019 for Yamaha four strokes, right?
Hahah same! I know 2014-19 is the same, other than that no idea. Keep in mind that the 250 has a 1.85 rear rim.
What series are you going to race? Saw the location Wink
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2119th
1/28/2019 9:52am
Hrzk75 wrote:
I wish i had money for that! Searching for a extra set of rims right now, its the same from like 2010-2019 for Yamaha four strokes...
Lynch wrote:
Hahah same! I know 2014-19 is the same, other than that no idea. Keep in mind that the 250 has a 1.85 rear rim. What series...
Hahah same! I know 2014-19 is the same, other than that no idea. Keep in mind that the 250 has a 1.85 rear rim.
What series are you going to race? Saw the location Wink
yeah think i would like a wider rim, a 2.15 i think it is?

Going to race some in the VGC, will see if i end up racing something with the club as well Wink what are you racing in?
Lynch
1/28/2019 10:32am
Hrzk75 wrote:
yeah think i would like a wider rim, a 2.15 i think it is? Going to race some in the VGC, will see if i end...
yeah think i would like a wider rim, a 2.15 i think it is?

Going to race some in the VGC, will see if i end up racing something with the club as well Wink what are you racing in?
Yep 2.15! The 1.85 is so narrow Grinning

Wrong part of the country! Östra Mx(lagserien), Stockholmscrossen, Mx outlet cup had an awesome schedule last year so hoping I can race them. Maybe Swecup and JSM if everything clicks Whistling
Motofinne
1/29/2019 1:40am
Has anyone had problems with their start and stop buttons? Mine are both broken on my 2018 450 (probably because of water and dirt getting in them).

That has never ever happened in my 20 years of riding MX.
752dad
2/7/2019 12:46pm
Look in the bottom of the battery, found 2 new stainless battery bolts and nut plates, the stockers are plated mild steel.
KC

Schlava
2/7/2019 3:01pm
Hrzk75 wrote:

Lynch wrote:
Spike tyres!
Hrzk75 wrote:
Rear wheels from four strokes 2010 and up fit
Front wheels from four strokes 2014 and up fit
sandtrack315
3/10/2019 9:34pm
Is it worth it to get the full Twin Air Powerflow Kit or is the Twin Air filter alone good enough?
Wiztardo
3/11/2019 8:04am
I have a dumb question about the Power Tuner App; Can you see engine hours on it? I have only just done a couple heat cycles with my bike, so I haven't really played with the app- but you can see total engine hours, right?

Is there anything not obvious I should know before getting into the Tuner App? I just plan on having the stock and TP map on the handlebar toggle.
752dad
3/11/2019 3:29pm
Wiztardo wrote:
I have a dumb question about the Power Tuner App; Can you see engine hours on it? I have only just done a couple heat cycles...
I have a dumb question about the Power Tuner App; Can you see engine hours on it? I have only just done a couple heat cycles with my bike, so I haven't really played with the app- but you can see total engine hours, right?

Is there anything not obvious I should know before getting into the Tuner App? I just plan on having the stock and TP map on the handlebar toggle.
Yes it tracks total hours and you can set oil change and piston replacement intervals.

KC
RNagy052
3/12/2019 1:06pm
Rohr144 wrote:
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes...
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes, so I tore up an old thin scarf and used that to cover the airbox breathing holes. Looks goofy, but keeps a ton of sand and dirt out and doesn't effect performance.
I've used these in my 15 YZ250F and now in my 18 YZ450F. I don't use any filter oil on the pre-filters, I just stick them in the air scoops. Haven't noticed any negative side effects from using them in either bike.

http://www.pcracingusa.com/Flo-Shroud-Air-Filter-YZ-450F-YZ250F_p_98.ht…

basslips
Fantasy
2163rd
3/19/2019 8:19pm
Rohr144 wrote:
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes...
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes, so I tore up an old thin scarf and used that to cover the airbox breathing holes. Looks goofy, but keeps a ton of sand and dirt out and doesn't effect performance.
RNagy052 wrote:
I've used these in my 15 YZ250F and now in my 18 YZ450F. I don't use any filter oil on the pre-filters, I just stick them...
I've used these in my 15 YZ250F and now in my 18 YZ450F. I don't use any filter oil on the pre-filters, I just stick them in the air scoops. Haven't noticed any negative side effects from using them in either bike.

http://www.pcracingusa.com/Flo-Shroud-Air-Filter-YZ-450F-YZ250F_p_98.ht…

I fashioned something up very similar with left over skid plate foam. For sure helps keep big chunks out and I have not noticed any performance decrease.

Post a reply to: Yamaha YZ250F 2019, Mods, Tips and more?

The Latest