Yz125 clutch issue

I have a yz125 2014, bikes been looked after by previous owners and has recent engine rebuild. I'm a fairly new rider so I didn't really know it was an issue until I sort of realised this shouldn't be happening;
Problem - i let the bike warm up, I give it revs and let it idle for about 2 minutes before I ride it from cold. I put it into first with my clutch lever fully pulled in and it stalls. I put it back into neutral, start it, back into first with revs this time (clutch fully pulled in) and the bike begins rolling forward as if I'm letting off the clutch, which I'm not. Once I'm out of first it's fine, not any issues I'm noticing in regards of gearing. Coming to a stop, same situation, I stop in gear 1, clutch fully pulled in, and it dies. I've fitted a new clutch cable which only made it worse, so I've resorted back to my older one. I've been told it's my clutch basket maybe worn, but I've also seen people say it's clutch disks etc etc. Please if anyone has the same opinion or think it's something else please tell, as I am going yo attempt to fix it in the near future. Thanks
|
kb228
5/14/2018 4:58am
What does your slack on the cable look like? You want to be able to fit a nickel or 2-3mm between the lever and perch. The new cable making it worse tells me its not adjusted. If the cable is good, your next problem is likely worn clutch springs. If that doesnt fix your problem, notches are likely the cause. Go through this list in order.
5/14/2018 5:14am
I've adjusted the cable on the old and new, the reason for making it worse is when the handle bars are the left, there's loads of free play, and when to the right it's like super tight. Clutch springs would be the best bet as it's cheapest option! I think it might be a case of just taking off the cover and having a look? Would you expect a clutch to be wearing at this age of the bike?
kb228
5/14/2018 5:31am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2018 5:33am
ChrissyDMX wrote:
I've adjusted the cable on the old and new, the reason for making it worse is when the handle bars are the left, there's loads of...
I've adjusted the cable on the old and new, the reason for making it worse is when the handle bars are the left, there's loads of free play, and when to the right it's like super tight. Clutch springs would be the best bet as it's cheapest option! I think it might be a case of just taking off the cover and having a look? Would you expect a clutch to be wearing at this age of the bike?
The clutch tightness shouldnt change with bar rotation. You have some major routing issues there.

As far as checking springs, you need to remove them from the bike and measure free length. Theres a spec in the service manual to compare to. Because theyre so cheap, id just throw new ones in. I had a yz250 where the previous owner put springs in from a completely different bike. Caused the same issue youre having. Without original springs or checking the length youd never know.

As far as parts wearing out, they go out when they go. Yea with that new of a bike its unusual but not impossible.
5/14/2018 6:03am
ChrissyDMX wrote:
I've adjusted the cable on the old and new, the reason for making it worse is when the handle bars are the left, there's loads of...
kb228 wrote:
The clutch tightness shouldnt change with bar rotation. You have some major routing issues there. As far as checking springs, you need to remove them from...
The clutch tightness shouldnt change with bar rotation. You have some major routing issues there.

As far as checking springs, you need to remove them from the bike and measure free length. Theres a spec in the service manual to compare to. Because theyre so cheap, id just throw new ones in. I had a yz250 where the previous owner put springs in from a completely different bike. Caused the same issue youre having. Without original springs or checking the length youd never know.

As far as parts wearing out, they go out when they go. Yea with that new of a bike its unusual but not impossible.
Cheers mate, I'll give it a go soon hopefully. Is there any guidance you have on cable routing? I run it along my frame under the fuel tank which I can only assume is the way to go about it.

The Shop

kb228
5/14/2018 6:06am
ChrissyDMX wrote:
kb228 wrote:
The clutch tightness shouldnt change with bar rotation. You have some major routing issues there. As far as checking springs, you need to remove them from...

ChrissyDMX wrote:
Cheers mate, I'll give it a go soon hopefully. Is there any guidance you have on cable routing? I run it along my frame under the...
Cheers mate, I'll give it a go soon hopefully. Is there any guidance you have on cable routing? I run it along my frame under the fuel tank which I can only assume is the way to go about it.
Do what the service manual says.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/14/2018 7:39am
I’d say you need new clutch fibers and steels. Also make sure the clutch basket doesn’t have grooves in it.
5/14/2018 8:24am
If the basket has mild grooves in it, you can file them smoother. Don’t take away too much or it may snap a finger off the basket,

Post a reply to: Yz125 clutch issue

The Latest