liquid coming out of my pipe.

zac_k3
10/24/2017 11:22am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 1:36pm
Today when reassembling my 06 rm125 i picked the header up to install it and I tipped it up and a bunch of liquid, maybe antifreeze? came out of it, I've ran the bike a few times but it's been maybe a month since its been started, anyone know what that could be and should I be concerned?
|
Acidreamer
10/24/2017 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 12:25pm
First step is to identify what liquid it is. Unless you were using water or degreaser or something to clean it there shouldnt be any fluids in there. Might be water from washing the bike without a butt plug in it.
zac_k3
10/24/2017 12:42pm
Acidreamer wrote:
First step is to identify what liquid it is. Unless you were using water or degreaser or something to clean it there shouldnt be any fluids...
First step is to identify what liquid it is. Unless you were using water or degreaser or something to clean it there shouldnt be any fluids in there. Might be water from washing the bike without a butt plug in it.
I haven't washed the bike since I've got it, I've been building it, so it's certainly not water or any cleaners. When I got some on my finger and kinda felt of it seems to be antifreeze but smells like oil but most likely because it's coming out of the header. When I did have the bike running the same type of residue was coming out of the muffler so I repacked it and stopped doing it as much.
rmoto003
10/24/2017 1:58pm
Thats the flux capacitor juice. Dont let too much of it get out or bike wont hit 88mph
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/24/2017 3:00pm
Black, clear, or green?

The Shop

zac_k3
10/24/2017 11:06pm
Falcon wrote:
Black, clear, or green?
wasn't able to tell, it dumped onto concrete, I'll get a paper plate tomorrow and see if anything else is in the pipe.
beamer
10/25/2017 10:02am
I would guess I would have had to come in thru the silencer, via washing it at some point. Even if its been a while since washed if there was a lot it prob just didn't evaporate yet. Unless your cylinder is absolutely full of coolant or fuel somehow but that would be far fetched I would think
bf884
10/25/2017 10:55am
Sounds like an infection.
zac_k3
10/25/2017 11:13am
beamer wrote:
I would guess I would have had to come in thru the silencer, via washing it at some point. Even if its been a while since...
I would guess I would have had to come in thru the silencer, via washing it at some point. Even if its been a while since washed if there was a lot it prob just didn't evaporate yet. Unless your cylinder is absolutely full of coolant or fuel somehow but that would be far fetched I would think
The bike hasn't been washed since February because it hasn't been ridden, I think I'll pull the cylinder head off and check for coolant.
zac_k3
10/25/2017 11:35am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 11:36am
so I pulled it off and this is what I found
Acidreamer
10/25/2017 11:46am
Looks like you need to rebuild the top end. Head gasket is fucked
zac_k3
10/25/2017 11:59am
Acidreamer wrote:
the Rms only have one gasket on the head and it's a rubber one that sits down into the cylinder, how can it be messed up? I'm not sure what that is around the piston.
ktm-5
10/25/2017 1:29pm
Acidreamer wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
the Rms only have one gasket on the head and it's a rubber one that sits down into the cylinder, how can it be messed up...
the Rms only have one gasket on the head and it's a rubber one that sits down into the cylinder, how can it be messed up? I'm not sure what that is around the piston.
That around your piston is what's suppose to be your o-ring and it's toast. You had coolant in your pipe and actually u don't have a head gasket you have 2 o-rings
zac_k3
10/25/2017 1:47pm
Acidreamer wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
the Rms only have one gasket on the head and it's a rubber one that sits down into the cylinder, how can it be messed up...
ktm-5 wrote:
That around your piston is what's suppose to be your o-ring and it's toast. You had coolant in your pipe and actually u don't have a...
That around your piston is what's suppose to be your o-ring and it's toast. You had coolant in your pipe and actually u don't have a head gasket you have 2 o-rings
Damn you're right, I know that it was a o-ring just forgot the technical name for it, but I totally forgot about the one circling the piston. What would cause it to fail since its not an actual gasket?
beamer
10/25/2017 1:56pm
zac_k3 wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
That around your piston is what's suppose to be your o-ring and it's toast. You had coolant in your pipe and actually u don't have a...
zac_k3 wrote:
Damn you're right, I know that it was a o-ring just forgot the technical name for it, but I totally forgot about the one circling the...
Damn you're right, I know that it was a o-ring just forgot the technical name for it, but I totally forgot about the one circling the piston. What would cause it to fail since its not an actual gasket?
I would say it just lived out its lifecycle. Anytime you take the head off I would recommend changing those and they aren't a lot of money. A lot of times if I'm doing the top end on my RM I wont take the head off just slide off the cylinder.
ktm-5
10/25/2017 2:02pm
It looks like it melted like your bike is way lean, either jetting or air leak. According to your piston it is either brand new or running way lean
Acidreamer
10/25/2017 2:12pm
Looks like you know what you need to do to fix it. In the future, check your coolant every time you ride. You would have noticed significant coolant loss and caught this earlier. If you ran out of coolant this could have been way worse than a melted oring.
zac_k3
10/25/2017 2:18pm
beamer wrote:
I would say it just lived out its lifecycle. Anytime you take the head off I would recommend changing those and they aren't a lot of...
I would say it just lived out its lifecycle. Anytime you take the head off I would recommend changing those and they aren't a lot of money. A lot of times if I'm doing the top end on my RM I wont take the head off just slide off the cylinder.
The bikes only been ran maybe 20 mins since a new top end and the gasket was installed or messed with before it went on the bike.
zac_k3
10/25/2017 2:22pm
ktm-5 wrote:
It looks like it melted like your bike is way lean, either jetting or air leak. According to your piston it is either brand new or...
It looks like it melted like your bike is way lean, either jetting or air leak. According to your piston it is either brand new or running way lean
It being lean could be a possibility, I never was exact on mixing the gas mostly because I just wanted to try starting before going a getting another gallon of gas. I just installed a lectron so maybe that'll fix my issue.
zac_k3
10/25/2017 2:23pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Looks like you know what you need to do to fix it. In the future, check your coolant every time you ride. You would have noticed...
Looks like you know what you need to do to fix it. In the future, check your coolant every time you ride. You would have noticed significant coolant loss and caught this earlier. If you ran out of coolant this could have been way worse than a melted oring.
Do you think a new piston is necessary or just new o-rings?
Acidreamer
10/25/2017 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 2:31pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Looks like you know what you need to do to fix it. In the future, check your coolant every time you ride. You would have noticed...
zac_k3 wrote:
you said you have 20 mins on this piston. Id want to find out why that oring melted so fast. Not sure if they were new when installed or if you reused them. Try new ones and keep the piston if this is the case.

If youre fibbing about the time on that piston and you have 20+ hours on it, yea id replace it so you can check your cylinder and crank to check for warping.

Either way check your coolant frequently after you do repairs
ktm-5
10/25/2017 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 2:28pm
Acidreamer wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
I would pull the cylinder to make sure nothing started to rust from the coolant if that's all good then I'd just replace cyl gasket and head o-rings and figure where the heat came from
zac_k3
10/25/2017 2:43pm
Acidreamer wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
you said you have 20 mins on this piston. Id want to find out why that oring melted so fast. Not sure if they were new...
you said you have 20 mins on this piston. Id want to find out why that oring melted so fast. Not sure if they were new when installed or if you reused them. Try new ones and keep the piston if this is the case.

If youre fibbing about the time on that piston and you have 20+ hours on it, yea id replace it so you can check your cylinder and crank to check for warping.

Either way check your coolant frequently after you do repairs
all the top end has 20 mins, I think I'll pull the cylinder and check it out but I'll for sure do the o rings
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/25/2017 2:59pm
Acidreamer wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
I would pull the cylinder to make sure nothing started to rust from the coolant if that's all good then I'd just replace cyl gasket and...
I would pull the cylinder to make sure nothing started to rust from the coolant if that's all good then I'd just replace cyl gasket and head o-rings and figure where the heat came from
This.
I already see rust on your cylinder head and in the lettering on top of the piston, as well as in a patina on top of the piston. Those surfaces are the least of your worries, though. Check to make sure there is no rust on the top end bearing or piston pin.

If that inner o-ring wasn't properly aligned down in the channel when the head was installed, it's possible that regular-old combustion just melted it.
omalley
10/25/2017 7:17pm
bf884 wrote:
Sounds like an infection.
Maybe from the gal in that thread in non-moto...
omalley
10/25/2017 7:23pm
Not to pee in your wheaties, but I’d pull the jug and make sure your cases aren’t full of water/coolant and possibly rust.
SLOWTIME
10/25/2017 9:03pm
Aren't OEM inner o rings on those RMs green? Aftermarket casualty.
zac_k3
10/25/2017 9:44pm
omalley wrote:
Not to pee in your wheaties, but I’d pull the jug and make sure your cases aren’t full of water/coolant and possibly rust.
the radiators were still full, like no antifreeze at all was missing, but I am pulling the cylinder tomorrow
zac_k3
10/26/2017 10:11am
got the cylinder pulled and luckily no antifreeze in the cases, whoever said that the gasket got melted was correct. I was able to just wipe the brownish color off of the piston, do I still need to replace it?

ktm-5
10/26/2017 1:36pm
If the crank looks good and rolls over good I wouldn't bother changing top end

Post a reply to: liquid coming out of my pipe.

The Latest