Review/Tested: Tusk Impact Wheelset

ML512
Fantasy
36th
11/1/2016 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2022 11:36am
http://www.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Wheels,57/Tusk/Impact,14481#produc…

Any questions on Tusk's very affordable Impact Wheelset?

|
MXD
11/8/2016 12:25pm
Any pictures of them on the Kawi? I have a 17 KX 450 and I'm curious how the blue looks.
MxRyder
11/11/2016 6:24am
Have 2 sets of them....as well as some other wheels......these wheels are good....hold up well, as good as stock if not better....and if you should go big and over jump or flat land they handle it.....replacment rims are cheap from RMatv/Tusk....however...i use only buchanan spokes on stock wheel set ups...or any replaced spokes(full relace) over any other spoke.....Buchanan spokes are the backbone to a successful wheel set....but overall a wheel set that cost effective and looks good and hold up well....
SlS257
4/5/2017 1:19pm
Are they heavy?
swatdoc
4/18/2017 7:27pm
I'm wondering about the weight too. Michael did you actually weigh them on a scale to compare them to stock? I don't see how they could be significantly heavier than stock - nothing seems to appear bulky. I'd imagine they should be within an ounce or two of stock?

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/15/2017 6:32pm
swatdoc wrote:
I'm wondering about the weight too. Michael did you actually weigh them on a scale to compare them to stock? I don't see how they could...
I'm wondering about the weight too. Michael did you actually weigh them on a scale to compare them to stock? I don't see how they could be significantly heavier than stock - nothing seems to appear bulky. I'd imagine they should be within an ounce or two of stock?
Couple ounces in the front, like eight or ten in the rear if I remember right.
4csHATER
8/2/2017 7:07pm
Here Is my real world review.........

THESE WHEELS SUCK ASS. (for an A class Rider)

Let me first off start by telling the first initial impression.... i had my ktm dealer in texas swap them for trade on brand new stock wheels as i had read somewhere the 16 ktms had issues of the spokes blowing apart on impact..... so i did and they swapped them too the orange hub black rim combo...... i loved the wheels when i first got them..... i had ten hours on the bike running mx3s tires and yes there was starting to begin a line that was 5mm wide and it was turning silver..... the silver ring of death..... at least to the rear rim.... so yea yea yea it started to discolor oh well not a performance issue right....

well bike hit 15 hours literally like 14.9 and come to find out i had three broken rear spokes....

yes i did the new wheel or new bike spoke tightening ritual for the first ten hours... thought everything was great then i turned around and looked at rear rim and what do you know three broken spokes....

i ride at tracks that are no where near national caliber and get slightly small chop... nothing serious like red bud or budds creek or glen helen or any of the nationals hell even amatuer nationals get more square edge than what you find in ohio on a local day......

any way i replaced the rear spokes with some bulldogs and kept checking and checking....

i was having to start getting a black paint marker with a thick tip at this point somewhere around 20 hours riding at a local A level.....and marking the rear rim to make it look new again....

25 hours hit and guess what i check the spokes and 6 more broken spokes i dont even know how i rode off the track without dying by a flying broken spoke..... it was the Head of the spokes right where they mate or settle into the cnc hole of the hub is where it broke.

i again replaced the spokes with bulldogs and kept doing my thing but this time i noticed a flat spot as well..... the rim was completely out of round and totally hard to get anywhere near true and when i went into the air i could feel the rear of the bike jumping around when there was wheel spin in the air..... at this point i came to conclusion i should have just stuck with the O.E.M. wheels.....

and yes if there was emojis on here i would totaly have one with my face and then a pistol pointing at my face lol/

but luckily i got to experience this with no extra cost to me cause in the end....... if i would have paid for these wheels i would have been highly pissed.

so for a D-class or C-class hero these would be perfect but imagine buying them right before lorettas cause moneys tight and then your rear rim blowing out because it hit square edged too hard and the bit that they used at the asian factory wasnt getting switched out when it should to machine the spoke hole in the cnc and it was a qtr millimeter too tight and your whole lorettas week went too shit.....

Like i said i am unhappy about them and im lucky i knew what i was doing to keep fixing the problem......

MY RATING WOULD BE A negative 5 at this point....

i dont have any pictures to prove my point cause i sold the bike but man if i di you guys would not be happy as well

two thumbs down on this one.
Mr. Sandman
8/5/2017 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2017 11:03am
So it sounds like you didn't like them. Sad I'm using these on my 78 RM125 restoration and they appear to be a very well made wheel that weighs about the same as the Takasago stockers.
RCF
8/29/2017 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2017 3:24pm
The above post is kind of funny my son is AA/PRO we have three sets of these wheels and they've been put through torturous situations never had a set fail. We've had spokes break but nothing more then KTM stock wheels just part of your bike inspection you have a Broken Spoke you change it. Ran more than once on a flat tire for nearly two hours with no problem.

moto831
5/25/2020 9:28pm
I race in the A class and mine hold up just fine, I have less then 10 hours on them but no issues so far second set I've bought just keep an eye on the spokes every so often
Ray Knight
6/23/2020 9:20pm
4csHATER wrote:
Here Is my real world review......... THESE WHEELS SUCK ASS. (for an A class Rider) Let me first off start by telling the first initial impression...
Here Is my real world review.........

THESE WHEELS SUCK ASS. (for an A class Rider)

Let me first off start by telling the first initial impression.... i had my ktm dealer in texas swap them for trade on brand new stock wheels as i had read somewhere the 16 ktms had issues of the spokes blowing apart on impact..... so i did and they swapped them too the orange hub black rim combo...... i loved the wheels when i first got them..... i had ten hours on the bike running mx3s tires and yes there was starting to begin a line that was 5mm wide and it was turning silver..... the silver ring of death..... at least to the rear rim.... so yea yea yea it started to discolor oh well not a performance issue right....

well bike hit 15 hours literally like 14.9 and come to find out i had three broken rear spokes....

yes i did the new wheel or new bike spoke tightening ritual for the first ten hours... thought everything was great then i turned around and looked at rear rim and what do you know three broken spokes....

i ride at tracks that are no where near national caliber and get slightly small chop... nothing serious like red bud or budds creek or glen helen or any of the nationals hell even amatuer nationals get more square edge than what you find in ohio on a local day......

any way i replaced the rear spokes with some bulldogs and kept checking and checking....

i was having to start getting a black paint marker with a thick tip at this point somewhere around 20 hours riding at a local A level.....and marking the rear rim to make it look new again....

25 hours hit and guess what i check the spokes and 6 more broken spokes i dont even know how i rode off the track without dying by a flying broken spoke..... it was the Head of the spokes right where they mate or settle into the cnc hole of the hub is where it broke.

i again replaced the spokes with bulldogs and kept doing my thing but this time i noticed a flat spot as well..... the rim was completely out of round and totally hard to get anywhere near true and when i went into the air i could feel the rear of the bike jumping around when there was wheel spin in the air..... at this point i came to conclusion i should have just stuck with the O.E.M. wheels.....

and yes if there was emojis on here i would totaly have one with my face and then a pistol pointing at my face lol/

but luckily i got to experience this with no extra cost to me cause in the end....... if i would have paid for these wheels i would have been highly pissed.

so for a D-class or C-class hero these would be perfect but imagine buying them right before lorettas cause moneys tight and then your rear rim blowing out because it hit square edged too hard and the bit that they used at the asian factory wasnt getting switched out when it should to machine the spoke hole in the cnc and it was a qtr millimeter too tight and your whole lorettas week went too shit.....

Like i said i am unhappy about them and im lucky i knew what i was doing to keep fixing the problem......

MY RATING WOULD BE A negative 5 at this point....

i dont have any pictures to prove my point cause i sold the bike but man if i di you guys would not be happy as well

two thumbs down on this one.
Breaking spokes and flattening wheels. Are you using a spoke torque wrench? It sounds like you may be overtightening the spokes? That can happen with a $1500 wheelset same as stock. If they are too tight all sorts of bad things start to happen. Mine have been rock solid. I'd say better then stock KTM wheels. They look like new with 15 hours and never had a loose spoke.
Zerofear66
9/22/2021 5:44am
I've had good luck with all the sets I've owned. Just wish I could get my hands on a set for an 07 RM250. They seem to out of stock or back ordered every where I look. Any advice ML?
rucka356
1/9/2022 11:36am
I put a set on my 125, love them so far. Rode all season on them
OTHGMx2
1/24/2022 6:22pm
I've run them on a few bikes with 0 problems,just laced up Tusk hubs to my stock 22 CRF 450R wheels

Post a reply to: Review/Tested: Tusk Impact Wheelset

The Latest