The most protective helmet

10/7/2019 4:52am
Hello ! I have a case where in past I have had four concussions because of ice hockey (and two because of motocross) so my question is what do You consider as the most protective helmets ? I have heard about 6D helmets and also the MIPS system.

Personally I like the most TLD SE4 Carbon with MIPS and for me it is also important that the helmet is not too heavy itself (around 1300 grams)

I would also consider 6D ART2 and Bell helmets, but perhaps You can recommend me something and give any advice/tips ?
|
GoYamaha
10/11/2019 8:11pm
I bought the new Fly Formula and its the lightest on the market right now. It has great protection aswell. I stand behind it 100%.
kwoody51
3/3/2020 6:48pm
Hard to argue with 6D’s technology. You won’t find an apples to apples comparison so you will have to decide what works best for you and what you are willing to spend.
arunkxf
3/4/2020 8:19am
I'd say the R&D that goes into the Arai and Shoei make them the best.

Each helmet is inspected and actually stamped by the inspector them selves in Japan.

The materials are a good guide too for how safe a helmet is. Carbon/ Kevlar/ fibreglass are generally superior materials

The Shop

kwoody51
3/4/2020 3:41pm
arunkxf wrote:
I'd say the R&D that goes into the Arai and Shoei make them the best. Each helmet is inspected and actually stamped by the inspector them...

Each helmet is inspected and actually stamped by the inspector them selves in Japan.

The materials are a good guide too for how safe a helmet is. Carbon/ Kevlar/ fibreglass are generally superior materials
I used to agree with this and worn an Arai for years. It was a high quality helmet, no doubt. However the rigid shell and foam interior approach is being trumped by folks like 6D.

They are looking at less than Snell rating loads that are more likely to cause damage and more likely to occur during a get off.

Said differently that 6D tech helps to absorb less serve, but still severe loads and impart less force to the riders head. If you step back the tech makes perfect sense. They are basically adding another ‘layer’ in the mix to help with angular impact AND add additional time for impact distribution.

I was totally a Shoei and Arai fan boy but feel they have been out innovated by 6d.

Helmet threads are a little like oil threads so buckle up. I’m just saying what I found to be compelling to me to make the switch from Arai to a 6d.
arunkxf
3/5/2020 1:35am
arunkxf wrote:
I'd say the R&D that goes into the Arai and Shoei make them the best. Each helmet is inspected and actually stamped by the inspector them...

kwoody51 wrote:
I used to agree with this and worn an Arai for years. It was a high quality helmet, no doubt. However the rigid shell and foam...
I used to agree with this and worn an Arai for years. It was a high quality helmet, no doubt. However the rigid shell and foam interior approach is being trumped by folks like 6D.

They are looking at less than Snell rating loads that are more likely to cause damage and more likely to occur during a get off.

Said differently that 6D tech helps to absorb less serve, but still severe loads and impart less force to the riders head. If you step back the tech makes perfect sense. They are basically adding another ‘layer’ in the mix to help with angular impact AND add additional time for impact distribution.

I was totally a Shoei and Arai fan boy but feel they have been out innovated by 6d.

Helmet threads are a little like oil threads so buckle up. I’m just saying what I found to be compelling to me to make the switch from Arai to a 6d.
Interesting, I'll have a look into the 6D potentially my next lid.

Always thought they looked good
GCBC
3/17/2020 5:23pm
the cheap helmet that fits perfect is better than any 700$ brain bucket that fits just ok.
tb14
4/9/2020 11:59am
Finding actual apples to apples tests with a graph is hard (impossible) to find with actual brand name competitors listed as comparison, the three I considered were SE4, Flex and 6d. As far as I can find on 6d vs MIPS I think 6d system has everyone beat, the system is the most advanced and you have contact with EPS to your head instead of MIPS then EPS. That being said, I went with the SE4 because MIPS is still very effective, they have three densities of EPS in the helmet where they are most likely to be needed from crash contact locations. I personally went with the poly SE4 because it is around 250 bucks with the same foam, mips and protection of the carbon just added a little weight. 200 grams of weight isn’t worth 400 for me.

I had a Flex and the fit wasn’t what I hoped it would be, was actually bummed on it and sent it back. Plus, I am weary of their rotational claims with out a real slip plane layer or system, kinda like the fluid inside, sounds cool but does it actually work as well, I haven’t been able to find enough info to set my mind at ease.

If money isn’t an object, 6D I think is the way to go. Also, look at most amateurs who’s parents are putting the best lid on their kid before they are getting paid to wear one, a lot of 6d helmets...

Good luck!
T-Fish
Fantasy
199th
4/14/2020 2:11pm
GoYamaha wrote:
I bought the new Fly Formula and its the lightest on the market right now. It has great protection aswell. I stand behind it 100%.
*lightest of only the ones they’ve tested
cwel11
4/26/2020 12:05pm
My 10 year old had a nasty crash about a year ago now, lacerated spleen with a nasty concussion. He was knocked out and not moving when I got to him. He was unresponsive for about 2/3 minutes but it seemed like an eternity. He was wearing a 6D atr1 and I truly believe he would either not be here or possibly some sort of severe permanent damage had he not had a quality helmet. He now has an atr2 as well as do I. He’s not wearing anything else while I’m paying the bill. Do not skimp on a helmet. Period. Buy a shit bike if you have to but do not buy a shit helmet.
6/7/2020 9:13am
I havent worn one yet but I’d suggest a 6d ATR2 thats my next helmet i like my bell moto 9 flex but after zach bell grenaded off a triple in supercross straight to his head and walked away im a believer. Your head is not something worth cheaping out on!
martin12
Fantasy
1248th
7/9/2020 3:19pm
Personally I can attest to how good the MIPS technology is. I used a mid-2000s thor force carbon helmet when I got back into riding a few years ago. One spill comes to mind that I know I was either borderline concussed or full-on. When I got my TLD composite unit with MIPS I've had many get-offs much worse and got up as if nothing happened not even having the slightest headache.
I was amazed at how much better the new technology is compared to what was considered badass a decade ago. The best thing is MIPS isn't exclusive to one brand so you have a lot of options.
11/26/2023 6:46pm

Good luck - I was a Bell guy, had my first concussion this year. Researching helmets is a bloody rabbit hole. I just bought a 6D....ordered on line BF deal. Nice helmet. I used to be a Shoei and Arai guy but after visiting about 10 shops to test as many as i could.....it used to be you can see and feel the quality difference ! ! not sure that's the vase anymore. They just didn't have the same feel. (no i can't qualify that) I was more impressed with the Bell fit and finish TBH.

So i bought the hype..........my plan...........never find out how the tech is.

I haven't been on the bike with it yet but i can already tell it's loud. (not good, i have a YZ250f, dam thing is annoyingly loud)

So.......guessing ill be trying to learn to ride with ear plugs next season.

good luck....yeh, i realize i didn't help at all.  

Tuplavee
11/28/2023 7:01am

Went with the hype too. Sold my 6D after two rides. 

kdawg941
Fantasy
2815th
2/8/2024 4:47am
addimatty wrote:
Hello ! I have a case where in past I have had four concussions because of ice hockey (and two because of motocross) so my question...
Hello ! I have a case where in past I have had four concussions because of ice hockey (and two because of motocross) so my question is what do You consider as the most protective helmets ? I have heard about 6D helmets and also the MIPS system.

Personally I like the most TLD SE4 Carbon with MIPS and for me it is also important that the helmet is not too heavy itself (around 1300 grams)

I would also consider 6D ART2 and Bell helmets, but perhaps You can recommend me something and give any advice/tips ?

Everyone will have their preference and bias based on looks, brand recognition, and what they grew up wearing. As a live test dummy I can say 6D does a great job. The only concussions I’ve had in 6D helmets I can blame on me not replacing a helmet after a hit. I have also recently used 6D’s rebuild program which is a great feature to save some cash. If your shell isn’t compromised they can rebuild the inside of your helmet for under $300. I’ve taken big hits in the 6D and walked away fine. They’re a great helmet. (ATR-2)

Post a reply to: The most protective helmet

The Latest