1992 CR250 engine help please

Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 7:10am
Hey there fellas..
Picked up this guy a few weeks ago for a couple hundred...missed this tucked behind rear shock..I've been front to back over the rest of it and every thing else is fine..I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to fixing this...eBay? New casing? Complete motor?..and if i am to go the complete new motor route, are you guys aware of anything later than 92 that will fit? I'm not trying to cut/weld a bunch of mods to cram something in there.
Absolutely in love with my new toy and loving playing around with it but ofcourse need to get this taken care of.
Thanks in advance
|
omalley
9/4/2017 8:11pm
Looks like you might've meant to post a pic...'92-01 were the same basic engine design but there might be differences in the cases. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folks on here will pop in.
9/4/2017 8:57pm
omalley wrote:
Looks like you might've meant to post a pic...'92-01 were the same basic engine design but there might be differences in the cases. Hopefully one of...
Looks like you might've meant to post a pic...'92-01 were the same basic engine design but there might be differences in the cases. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folks on here will pop in.
Yes sorry my internet connection isn't great.
Does this mean an 01 engine would fit?
A fresh engine never hurt anyone.
Katoomey
9/5/2017 12:17am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 12:20am
omalley wrote:
Looks like you might've meant to post a pic...'92-01 were the same basic engine design but there might be differences in the cases. Hopefully one of...
Yes sorry my internet connection isn't great.
Does this mean an 01 engine would fit?
A fresh engine never hurt anyone.
yes. '92-01 cases all bolt together for sure. but there is a little more to it than that. the castings are not identical, and must be matched to eachother and the cylinder or you risk a base gasket leak. its best to stay with matching 92-96 cases with 92-96 cylinders, and the same for 97-01 cases.

no, a 97-01 will not fit the steel frame as is. it has a taller head (when Honda went from domed pistons to flat-top pistons they changed the head). obviously this is not an issue if you are willing to modify or make a new headstay.

'92 cases had oiling issues. these can be addressed but i'm not sure of whats involved, whether it was a simple enlarging of the drip holes or the bearings oil channel itself being the issue.

if you do go the new engine route, any 92-01 will fit (headstay aside) and work just fine. 95,96,99,00, and 01 are the better ones, as far as OEM specs go.

If it was me I would find a '00-01 engine, Everything about the 00-01's are better. Stronger castings, improved cooling, better bearings, digital ignition, ect...

the best advice i can give you relating to restoring old bikes- be deligent in your parts search, and be patient. these are mass produced in fairly large numbers and parts are out there for sure. you can find anything you want with enough time and motivation.

The Shop

PTshox
9/5/2017 1:19am
Find a good welder and fix it. They can build up al around that insert... You'll have to split the cases though to get that part where the cases match up. I know a guy with the skils....

You also maybe able to find another case that is broken up by the fly wheel... and use some of that material.
I can be fixed if you know a really good welder and are creative.
H4L
9/5/2017 6:51am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 7:10am
I'd suggest replacing the 92 with a 93-96 engine. The 97-01 were slightly different since they came on the 1st & 2nd Gen AF's.
Owned a 93, 97 & 01. A fellow rider / racer owned a 96 & 01 models & we both felt the 93-96 had the better oem porting specs on the cyl's..
9/5/2017 9:20am
Awesome fellas!! THIS is why I like this site..glad to see there are some actual dirtbike people left around here!..sooo anybody got one!?...I had a quick look around on eBay and it seems the cost of a left side casing including splitting cases etc vs buying a new engine,it's probably easier to just buy the complete unit that's ready to rock.
I'm finding approx $1000-$1200 for the whole
engine.That sound about right to you guys?

Again really appreciate you guys taking the time with your informative answers
Katoomey
9/5/2017 8:45pm
H4L wrote:
I'd suggest replacing the 92 with a 93-96 engine. The 97-01 were slightly different since they came on the 1st & 2nd Gen AF's. Owned a...
I'd suggest replacing the 92 with a 93-96 engine. The 97-01 were slightly different since they came on the 1st & 2nd Gen AF's.
Owned a 93, 97 & 01. A fellow rider / racer owned a 96 & 01 models & we both felt the 93-96 had the better oem porting specs on the cyl's..
it would be nice if people actually read the threads they replied to.
Katoomey
9/5/2017 9:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 9:49pm
Awesome fellas!! THIS is why I like this site..glad to see there are some actual dirtbike people left around here!..sooo anybody got one!?...I had a quick...
Awesome fellas!! THIS is why I like this site..glad to see there are some actual dirtbike people left around here!..sooo anybody got one!?...I had a quick look around on eBay and it seems the cost of a left side casing including splitting cases etc vs buying a new engine,it's probably easier to just buy the complete unit that's ready to rock.

$1000 is probably right, but not ready to rock. In my opinion you're paying $1000 for a mystery box. Chances are the engine you buy still needs rebuilt or will shortly. Thats the reality of it. If you want a fully rebuilt engine, with new clutch parts, all new bearings, and a complete ignition, which are rarely offered without an accompanying motorcycle, you're going to pay a lot closer to $2,000-2500.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but dirtbike restoration isn't really a cottage industry, and if you aren't prepared to do it all yourself, your gonna get pinched. If you're ok with that, then so am I. I just want to give you a headsup. It's gonna be the same story with that suspension. It has to be roached, and I don't know if it's worth restoring. The probelm is, what do you replace it with that doesn't also need rebuilt, or need different triple clamps or linkage? If your not willing to spilt cases yourself, then I have to assume you aren't going to be tearing into that fork or shock, or doing any intergenerational parts swapping. Which requires a working knowledge of the available parts out there and a rudementary understanding of dirtbike geometry.

buy a rebuildable roach and rebuild it yourself. thats the only advice I have. even if you have to piece it together. all you really need is 4 used parts from the generation you select. [92-96/97-01] Pick wich generation you want and buy both cases, and then whatever year (from that generation) cylinder/head you want. for gen 1, 95-96 cylinde/head, for gen 2 99-01 cylinder/head are ideal. then rebuild the crank, have the cylinder repaired, and then salvage whatever parts you can from your 92. Everything in the side case/primary/transmission is compatible. I know if you look on E-bay, you're always going to see cases and whatnot for ridiculous prices, but that doesn't mean thats what the going rate is. Patience is a virtue here. Before you know it, someone will post a whole roached out motor with everything you need for 300 bucks. I see them all the time.

remember that changes are made to the flap valve in relation to it's cylinder, so to be safe, you need the correct valve for the cylinder as well. this usually come with used cylinders.

happy wrenchin!
H4L
9/6/2017 7:09am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 7:09am
H4L wrote:
I'd suggest replacing the 92 with a 93-96 engine. The 97-01 were slightly different since they came on the 1st & 2nd Gen AF's. Owned a...
Katoomey wrote:
it would be nice if people actually read the threads they replied to.
It appears we were both trying to help the OP out. No harm no foul...
H4L
9/6/2017 7:16am
Awesome fellas!! THIS is why I like this site..glad to see there are some actual dirtbike people left around here!..sooo anybody got one!?...I had a quick...

It really depends on how much money & time your willing to invest. It's not common, but have seen 93-96 engines on e-bay for around $1K. If I had the time to invest I would definitely build up a 93 CR2 as it is one of my top 3 favorite bikes owned in 4 decades of riding.
mxracer666
9/6/2017 7:29am
I don't know for sure, but the swing arm pivot bolt may be larger on the later-model CR's , than in 1992?.
omalley
9/6/2017 12:30pm
mxracer666 wrote:
I don't know for sure, but the swing arm pivot bolt may be larger on the later-model CR's , than in 1992?.
If so, my guess would be that the cases stayed the same but they swapped the steel inserts in the rear mount hole. Worst case they might have bored the hole larger, but the casting was likely the same externally so the OP could likely swap sleeves, etc.
tuggy450
9/7/2017 4:59am
pretty sure swingarm bolts were all the same size

Post a reply to: 1992 CR250 engine help please

The Latest