2020 YZ250 smoker dream build full send :)

cdoggy81
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2023 6:41am

Hi guys & happy 4th of July to you all!
A lot of you all know me on here already as having a bunch of YZ250 items as I had a ton of parts for sale. I’ve owned 4 of them over the past few years (03,05,06,11) so one tends to accumulate stuff over time... 😁 I still have the 2006 as well as the 2011 so after seeing so many of the sweet builds you guys crank out I wanted to do eventually do one with my 2011. Why not right, I mean with 2 little ones running about (2.5 years old and a 1 year old) plus my 2 bikes that don’t get dirty nearly enough I CLEARLY did not need a big project or another bike. So naturally I somehow came home with this 2020 yz250 a few days ago:

Overall it was a very good deal given the current market for 2 strokes. The bike was mostly stock but came with a few nice parts already. However to keep from literally turning into this guy:

I have decided to go all in, full tilt, no holding back with this one!!! My current plan with a big budget is to use the following parts listed below. The goal is to get it as close to or under 200lbs & over 52hp+ it should no doubt make for a seriously fun ride!

Titanium Raptor pegs
Titanium custom made peg mounts
Titanium rear brake rotor
Titanium front 270mm brake rotor
Titanium axles F & R
Titanium spokes (yes that’s right, big story behind these)
Titanium pivot bolt
Titanium linkage bolts (all 3)
Titanium custom made bushings with DLC coating
Titanium shock spring
Titanium seat brackets
Titanium engine studs bolts
Titanium engine bolts
Titanium hardware - basically every nut & bolt!
CRM carbon fiber subframe
CMT carbon fiber gas tank
Carbon fiber clutch Lightspeed
Carbon fiber ignition cover Lightspeed
Carbon fiber fork guards Lightspeed
Carbon fiber chain guide Lightspeed
Carbon fiber exhaust bracket
Carbon fiber head stays
Carbon fiber power valve cover
Carbon fiber case saver
Carbon fiber master cylinder covers
Carbon fiber sprocket cover
Guts Ultra Light racing seat foam
Gripper seat cover
Hinson clutch
TMR Ported race cylinder
TMR Modified squish band head
TMR Modified crank & rod (drilled, balanced & DLC coated)
Undercut tranny
Custom made SS cone pipe
PC Ti2 silencer
Custom laced hubs & Excel rims
PSF1 Enzo Racing Kit suspension forks (also have PC kit spring forks with billet lugs as well to try)
22mm Luxon split triple clamps
Kit shock, DLC shaft & new Enzo compression valve
YZF swing arm & hub conversion
Renthal Fat32 bars & ProTaper ACF bars (depends on which feel better)
Works connection billet perch & lever with titanium hardware

ARC brake lever with titanium hardware
Motostuff SS brake lines F & R
Talon sprocket
EK 3D MXR chain (my favorite)
various DLC & TiN coated parts
Plus a few other little surprises along the way... 😎

Thanks everyone & stay tuned!

|
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
7/4/2020 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2020 7:17pm
Sweet! Maybe watching you build this one will kick my ass in gear to finish mine! Or sell all my parts, either or lol
cdoggy81
7/7/2020 2:57pm
Thanks Nail, I’ll shoot you an email. I think I got some parts from you off Barcia or Stewie’s bikes a while back 😎

GU - you mean something like this:

I think I may have been one of the first to get them as I jumped on these quick from ya. Thanks for making them👍🏻

Thanks CS271, I am ready to FINALLY get on this.

Zesiger, I hear ya man 🤣 Maybe we can motivate each other. BTW I think I need to txt you again for the specs of that axle as I can’t find my notes where I wrote them down but I think I may have packed it away with the titanium bar so I would have it when ready.

The Shop

Yz229
7/8/2020 11:26am
Nice man! Can't wait to see how this turns out
TSCHAM101
7/12/2020 6:27pm
Holy Bananas! Awesome parts list bro! Bike is going to be incredible!
MaxPower
7/13/2020 5:55am
We need to stop using the term "Full Send"
cdoggy81
7/13/2020 6:06am Edited Date/Time 7/13/2020 6:08am
Thank you both for the positive support 😎

I am still waiting for a few things to show up before I fully rip into this one so I decided to play with & test out my new cerakote setup. I am also in the process of rebuilding my 2006 Yz250 so while it is all apart I coated the head & piston dome then put an anti friction coating on the skirts. I had a used Wiseco that was in great shape but had a little bit of wear around the window & exhaust so it was a perfect candidate for a test trial. It felt a little weird scuffing up the head & dome so the cerakote would stick but I understand why it had to be done. Overall I am very pleased the way it turned out so I want to have it back together & fired this weekend.

cdoggy81
7/13/2020 6:12am
While waiting for the cerakote to dry I was bored & decided to modify one of my PC shorty silencers.
Cleaned
Polished
Drilled
Heated tip for bluing 😎
I’ll use this one on my 2011 yz250. The 2020 will get the Ti2

Rickyisms
7/13/2020 7:57am
Curious on why you would cerakote the piston and head? What benefits does it provide?
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
7/13/2020 8:09am
MaxPower wrote:
We need to stop using the term "Full Send"
I know what he’s got planned and the term is properly used. This is no bullshit YouTube clickbait build with coated stock parts.
Ethan454
7/13/2020 9:21am
Sick build, will be keeping up with this one for sure.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/13/2020 9:55am
Rickyisms wrote:
Curious on why you would cerakote the piston and head? What benefits does it provide?
x2
deccr250
7/13/2020 11:36am
Rickyisms wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
x2
I’m sure cdoggy will chime in also, but I’m pretty sure it helps to keep the cylinder temps down and getting excess gasses and heat into the front pipe quicker...essentially meaning better performance Smile
cdoggy81
7/13/2020 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2020 5:48am
Hey guys,
Deccr250 is pretty much on point (thank you sir!) but lets expand on it just a little bit more.

First & foremost this is not standard Cerakote used to color your gun & protect it from rusting. This particular stuff I am using is a high temp ceramic formulation specifically designed for engine & piston coating. The technology started off in the 70's, gained some traction in racing in the 80's, then the industrial market really got into it in the 90's (this is the field I operate in) & away we go. As time has progressed the formulations & applications have gotten better & easier. Then a lil company called NIC Industries made the Cerakote coating a household name for “special coatings” just like roller blades & Band Aids did.
Now as for how all this pertains to 2 strokes... We all know that these single cylinder air pumps we all love so much run best right on the ragged edge of "lean". In 2 stroke race engines a lot of guys want to be right on the edge of a lean condition. That’s where the most horsepower is available but it is riding a fine line. A lean mixture runs hotter and if the fuel mixture is set correctly for a fully hot engine, you’ll get full power at full working temps. However, most of us are not professional tuners with professional equipment necessary to check & monitor EGT so we typically run the risk of it being too lean before it is fully hot so the engine will either melt a piston or seize the piston in the cylinder wall. Most race teams aren’t worried about long tern life expectancy or melting a piston as most of they’re engines are rebuilt after one race anyway so they can walk the line a little closer than the average Joe such as myself. Enter ceramic coatings :-] They do 2 basic things for us:
1 - they form a protective layer to keep the heat out of the piston & keep from melting a hole in the top of the piston causing a mechanical failure
2 - they help the piston be more efficient with a ceramic coating which improves the device's heat reflection and transfers part of the detonation energy into the fuel burning phase. Basically out of the parts & more into the combustion chamber.
The two stroke piston sees the heat of combustion on every stroke without the benefit of a cool intake stroke or oil spray like their thumper counterparts. In addition the two stroke cylinder is full of ports that attract heat, especially on the exhaust side where the hot gases flow directly over the piston crown on their way out of the cylinder, building even more heat in the cylinder near the exhaust port. This high heat can burn the little lubrication that the piston skirts see. Another reason why the piston can be a weak link in the ole smoker.

So in my application think of the coated head & coated piston crown as the bread in a combustion sandwich. They hold in & keep all the good stuff from spilling out. You want to get as much down your throat in this power meal without getting your fingers dirty 😆

Please understand I am totally simplifying things here for the sake of a basic explanation so please don't beat me up on the details. I just want to try & explain it as best I can & I am no teacher or engineer 👍🏻
cdoggy81
7/13/2020 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2020 5:47am
Forgot to add these in for reference above 😂

Obviously these situations are bad & the coating will “help” to keep these from occurring. As you can see it won’t “keep” it from happening though.

To be perfectly honest I monitor my stuff pretty closely & keep up with routine maintenance so the likelihood of me going too lean & burning a hole through the post crown is not very likely. I am however quite curious to see if I can go slightly leaner with a power improvement & since this is for my 3rd bike I have no problem rolling the dice on this one. I have a few different cylinders to play with if so... 😎

Now the anti friction coating on the skirt, different story & why you even see this stuff coming stock now on a lot of pistons.

cdoggy81
7/14/2020 5:44am
Yes I think I even spoke to them about their stuff at PRI back in the day.
cdoggy81
7/23/2020 10:27pm
Christmas in July 😁

So while I am waiting for more parts to show up I needed to get the 2006 put back together & sold. Plus I really needed the garage space back with the trans am coming home & I wouldn’t mind some extra money. Mission accomplished!

Posted it Wednesday morning & sold it that afternoon for $300 more than I thought I would get for it. Unreal what clean good bikes are selling for down here these days! More titanium is now on order... hahahaha!!! 😎
cdoggy81
7/24/2020 5:42am
Yeah man isn’t it nuts! Same with boats & jet skis too.
I see you are just south of me so where do you ride? Have you tried mx74? FTT is opening back up soon too 😎
Rickyisms
7/24/2020 8:44am
cdoggy81 wrote:
Yeah man isn’t it nuts! Same with boats & jet skis too. I see you are just south of me so where do you ride? Have...
Yeah man isn’t it nuts! Same with boats & jet skis too.
I see you are just south of me so where do you ride? Have you tried mx74? FTT is opening back up soon too 😎
Pretty much anywhere within a 3-4 hour base of here. The new FTT should be sweet.
cdoggy81
8/5/2020 2:05pm
While waiting for parts to arrive & before tearing the bike all down I did need to do a baseline for a weight comparison. I got the digital scale out, put it under the bike lift & lifted it up. Anyone want to take a guess as to what it came in at?

cdoggy81
8/5/2020 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2022 10:57am
You were closer on your first guess 😎
224.8Lbs

This was with oil in the tranny but I drained most of the fuel out. At most a quart or so was left. If I can get her below 205 that would be awesome! Goal is 200 but it is going to take a lot of $$$ & ideas I thing to get those last few lbs...
cdoggy81
8/12/2020 7:55am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2020 7:56am
Ordered a few things from RaceTech a while ago...

FYI - VitalMX members get a discount on all orders. Here is the code I found to use: vitalmx5offjb
cdoggy81
8/14/2020 9:01pm
Graphics & a few titanium pieces came in.
Went ahead & mounted the tank hold down screw & seat button. Funny how ya just have to get the cool stuff no one will see.

On the Rtech stuff the shrouds are held on to the tank with self tappers or sheet metal screws. You can get metric titanium machine screws all day long but these were a challenge to find. I went ahead & sourced some super trick ones though. Standard M8 flange head with a star profile & even drilled them out to save weight 😎

ecmx274
8/15/2020 7:10am
cdoggy81 wrote:
Graphics & a few titanium pieces came in. Went ahead & mounted the tank hold down screw & seat button. Funny how ya just have to...
Graphics & a few titanium pieces came in.
Went ahead & mounted the tank hold down screw & seat button. Funny how ya just have to get the cool stuff no one will see.

On the Rtech stuff the shrouds are held on to the tank with self tappers or sheet metal screws. You can get metric titanium machine screws all day long but these were a challenge to find. I went ahead & sourced some super trick ones though. Standard M8 flange head with a star profile & even drilled them out to save weight 😎

Did you get the screws from Racetech? I need a few.

Post a reply to: 2020 YZ250 smoker dream build full send :)

The Latest