2007 RM250 VS 2014 250SX

Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 1:42am
Hi everyone,

I'm searching the market for a good condition 250 2 banger that will be as reliable as possible whilst also putting a big grin on my face. I have come across a 2014 KTM 250sx for $5400NZD, with 90 hours on the clock with a recent top end rebuild, pro circuit pipe, other than that it is mostly all stock. Also i have found a 2007 RM250 for $4400NZD that has done 74 hours from new, fresh top end, rekluse clutch, fmf pipe and other bells and whistles.

I am searching for help as to which bike is a better purchase considering price and performance of each bike.Is the KTM leaps and bounds ahead of the RM in terms of performance, or will a amateur rider barely notice the difference between the two, and with the price in mind would it be a better option to opt for the RM.

Cheers
|
chump6784
3/18/2018 2:02am
I went from an 07 RM250 to 2012 250sx. The RM had a pro circuit pipe and muffler, the ktm was completely stock and better in every way. It made more power but hooked up better, brakes were better, I didn't notice a real difference in turn in but exiting the turns the ktm just drove straight where the RM would wiggle. I had the same guy do the suspension on both bikes and they were about equal, I lost 10kgs not long after I got the ktm done so it was stiff when I sold it, if I was going to keep it I would have dropped a spring rate on the forks.

That was my first ktm and it did feel different to the jap bikes I grew up on but it didn't take too long to get used to it.

Can't comment on longevity of the ktm as I only put 12 hours on it before I got injured and sold it. The RM never gave me any troubles with probably around 50 hours on it and I bought it second hand but when working on the RM it just didn't feel as solid as my current YZ. Never really turned a wrench on my ktm.

I'm mid pack C grade and I could tell the difference. You won't go wrong with either bike in my opinion.

3/18/2018 2:24am
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah i'm leaning towards the KTM 250SX at the moment - although it changes every 5 minutes lol - as it seems to me it is worth spending $900 more in order to get newer technology components. Although in terms of resale value would the ktm depreciate quicker than the zuki considering the RM250 isn't in production anymore?
chump6784
3/18/2018 3:22am
If you are worried about the resale get a yz250 lol. Ktm's, hold their value pretty well but everytime they bring out a new model yours gets older. I sold my rm so quick, even had a bidding war on it with one guy offering $500 more than I was asking.

For what it's worth I felt faster around the track on the ktm than the rm.

Post a reply to: 2007 RM250 VS 2014 250SX

The Latest