Are the likes of Roczen, Musquin & Lawrence making the right move??

"The best riders in the world are here in the States & if I'm the world champ I have to beat them"- Jean Michel Bayle, 1990.

It used to be true. Fair play. Riders would win a world championship or two then have their sights set firmly on a move to the USA to race with the best.

As we've seen in recent years, that is no longer the case. It is reported that Herlings gets paid the same money as Dungey did by KTM, so If KTM are paying that, surely HRC and the rest are paying nearly the same for big stars?

My question is, what is the 'draw' to ride in the US now? Have Roczen, Musquin, Lawrence made the right decision in moving over? They're big stars who could command huge money here in Europe. So why move?
|
Fourth_Floor
10/8/2018 7:27am
I would guess the star power and exposure from our Supercross series. Just look at how many more IG followers Roczen has vs Herlings.

Like it or not, Supercross is now the main stage for dirt bike racing.
Rocket-Z
10/8/2018 7:31am
I would guess the star power and exposure from our Supercross series. Just look at how many more IG followers Roczen has vs Herlings. Like it...
I would guess the star power and exposure from our Supercross series. Just look at how many more IG followers Roczen has vs Herlings.

In America it is yes, Over here in Europe it's just an "extra"
I believe after this weekend it was pretty obvious that outdoor racing is now an "European" thing.
10/8/2018 7:37am
I would guess the star power and exposure from our Supercross series. Just look at how many more IG followers Roczen has vs Herlings. Like it...

Perhaps im not appreciating how relevant IG followers are? I dunno... does a huge quantity of IG followers translate directly in to an increased salary?

From what I read here, superiors in America isn't hugely popular with the 'real' hardcore MX fans.. "Death-cross", "circus" are just a couple of names I read here.

What good is it having three times the IG followers if 'death-cross' is going to threaten the length of your career??

Interestingly, it'd be good to look in to how well Musquin is doing since moving stateside- he was factory KTM in Europe, moved to Factory KTM in US, lets assume he could be on Herling's type salary back in Europe.. Is he better off??
10/8/2018 7:39am
Furthermore, do you think we'll ever see a swing in trends?

In the past, Euros have set a trend in going across the pond to race the best- will we ever see Americans doing the opposite?

The Shop

philG
10/8/2018 7:41am
When KRoc and Marvin came they were looking at the likes of Stew, RV and Reed and Dungey thinking that they fancied some of that, growing up watching SX as we all did.. so then, i get why, but now, why would you.. the best guy is the best guy because the guy that was the best, quit , twice... that is half the problem... nobody has to win the #1 plate when the guy that has it gives it up for free.
Prntscrn
10/8/2018 7:45am
I think some of it might also have to do with who you are as a person. I'm sure some enjoy all the travelling and seeing lots of different people, cultures and countries etc while some would find it more comfortable and enjoyable to stay in the same country and not have to deal with all of that(well besides the travelling since US is pretty big..)
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/8/2018 8:17am
IF there was a lack of prestige, competition, and pay in the 2 US series this theory could be valid. As it stands, it's not an equivalent choice if you are not considering the skills, glory, and life choice of coming to the US to race supercross. No one is coming here and waxing the field in a series. The AMA riders (whether homegrown or imported) have been competitive against the GP riders in every recent meeting except this past weekend (for whatever reason) and Lommel in 2012.

As far as longevity, Cairoli is a bit of an anomaly with his career. Lots of the other older GP guys are actually getting pushed out of the series.
BikerScars
10/8/2018 8:39am
Yes making the right move (assuming sponsorship and enforcement contracts are bigger in the US).
This sport requires massive sacrifice, and is very short. Make the cash while you are healthy.
drt410
10/8/2018 10:23am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 10:24am
Well the euros come over here and still dont win when they race the full series so its up to them. Ferrandis only has 2 wins in 2 years, Musquin gets humiliated every week, Roczen hasnt come back from his injury 100% yet. With their supposed mastery of hard tracks they dont win on our “easy” tracks and with our supposed drop off in talent they dont win championships either. So pick your poison.
Fourth_Floor
10/8/2018 1:16pm

Perhaps im not appreciating how relevant IG followers are? I dunno... does a huge quantity of IG followers translate directly in to an increased salary? From...
Perhaps im not appreciating how relevant IG followers are? I dunno... does a huge quantity of IG followers translate directly in to an increased salary?

From what I read here, superiors in America isn't hugely popular with the 'real' hardcore MX fans.. "Death-cross", "circus" are just a couple of names I read here.

What good is it having three times the IG followers if 'death-cross' is going to threaten the length of your career??

Interestingly, it'd be good to look in to how well Musquin is doing since moving stateside- he was factory KTM in Europe, moved to Factory KTM in US, lets assume he could be on Herling's type salary back in Europe.. Is he better off??
Well, to simplify it, there are approximately 8-900,000 more people that know who Ken Roczen is and are interested enough in him to follow his page. It is probably safe to say that Roczen exposes motocross/supercross to more people than Herlings does. I don't know what these guys salaries are but I would have to think that Roczen has more sponsor and/or media related opportunities here than if he just stayed in Germany. After all, the US is the worlds leading consumers of media, by a lot.

The "deathcross" and "supercross sucks" stuff you hear on here are a select few chodes that just like to bitch. If the pro nationals here in America were "so much better" for the fans than supercross then they wouldn't be pumping so much money into and putting so much emphasis on SX, plain and simple. Supercross is a better "show", the racing is more intense (contact wise) and crashes are more extreme and frequent which makes it appeal more to your average person. Sad but true. I can get my wife to sit down and watch a Supercross race with me. Motocross? She could care less.

Motocross is like boxing and Supercross is like the UFC and what we seen this weekend was a dirt bike version of McGregor vs. Mayweather.
jpmoney57
10/8/2018 1:37pm
Its because its every young motocross riders dream to race anaheim and glen hellen. Not stupid tracks in stupid countires the GP’s go to
10/8/2018 1:42pm
I continue to believe from reliable sources - you can make way more in the USA

Also - when pourcel got his US citizenship recently - his instagram post said it was one of his best days of his life - and it was good to finally live in a country he feels safe. Not sure how much of a role that could possibly play for any of these guys - as it seems all the GP stars are just fine...

But who knows - clearly the GP structure is developing better outdoor riders
philG
10/8/2018 1:47pm
drt410 wrote:
Well the euros come over here and still dont win when they race the full series so its up to them. Ferrandis only has 2 wins...
Well the euros come over here and still dont win when they race the full series so its up to them. Ferrandis only has 2 wins in 2 years, Musquin gets humiliated every week, Roczen hasnt come back from his injury 100% yet. With their supposed mastery of hard tracks they dont win on our “easy” tracks and with our supposed drop off in talent they dont win championships either. So pick your poison.
If Musquin is humiliated, doesnt say much for the rest of the US riders does it.
mwr
10/8/2018 1:48pm
drt410 wrote:
Well the euros come over here and still dont win when they race the full series so its up to them. Ferrandis only has 2 wins...
philG wrote:
If Musquin is humiliated, doesnt say much for the rest of the US riders does it.
Ha, I was just about to say that same thing. We should all be so humiliated.
agn5009
10/8/2018 1:50pm
I continue to believe from reliable sources - you can make way more in the USA Also - when pourcel got his US citizenship recently -...
I continue to believe from reliable sources - you can make way more in the USA

Also - when pourcel got his US citizenship recently - his instagram post said it was one of his best days of his life - and it was good to finally live in a country he feels safe. Not sure how much of a role that could possibly play for any of these guys - as it seems all the GP stars are just fine...

But who knows - clearly the GP structure is developing better outdoor riders
I think it has a lot to do with it. Some of these guys grow up in not so nice places even though mostly all of them probably come from well off families. Traveling to some bad parts of the world probably sucks a lot.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/8/2018 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 1:51pm
for those guys, who grew up in the 90's and 2000's, america was the place to be, and the USA SX title is the highest title in dirt biking,

who knows, the 6-12 years olds might just be thinking they need to go win the MX1 title to be the best on the planet, it was like that in the 70's and early 80's, the GP title in europe was considered the best place to go to race the best in the world, by the late 80's, it was the USA,

10/8/2018 2:18pm
drt410 wrote:
philG wrote:
mwr wrote:
Seriously. By that logic, literally everyone but Tomac should be hiding away and trembling with shame. Dry
Kawi15
10/8/2018 2:34pm
All of this foolish speculation is hurting my brain. People act like the Nats and SX somehow destroy riders and make them slower. How foolish.
10/8/2018 3:12pm
Well, to simplify it, there are approximately 8-900,000 more people that know who Ken Roczen is and are interested enough in him to follow his page...
Well, to simplify it, there are approximately 8-900,000 more people that know who Ken Roczen is and are interested enough in him to follow his page. It is probably safe to say that Roczen exposes motocross/supercross to more people than Herlings does. I don't know what these guys salaries are but I would have to think that Roczen has more sponsor and/or media related opportunities here than if he just stayed in Germany. After all, the US is the worlds leading consumers of media, by a lot.

The "deathcross" and "supercross sucks" stuff you hear on here are a select few chodes that just like to bitch. If the pro nationals here in America were "so much better" for the fans than supercross then they wouldn't be pumping so much money into and putting so much emphasis on SX, plain and simple. Supercross is a better "show", the racing is more intense (contact wise) and crashes are more extreme and frequent which makes it appeal more to your average person. Sad but true. I can get my wife to sit down and watch a Supercross race with me. Motocross? She could care less.

Motocross is like boxing and Supercross is like the UFC and what we seen this weekend was a dirt bike version of McGregor vs. Mayweather.
This.
Paul333
10/8/2018 3:15pm
Hint:

U.S. MX/SX

No traveling around the world to race at third world fairgrounds tracks

BMSOBx2
10/8/2018 3:15pm
Well, to simplify it, there are approximately 8-900,000 more people that know who Ken Roczen is and are interested enough in him to follow his page...

Call me a chode then. SX is a bastardization of MX dumbed down for the masses who think hits on social media, more contact & extreme crashes to make it a "show" equates to popularity. That being the case these days I am glad I'm not an "average person". Wear your hat backwards, take your wife to SX where she can sip daquiris from the club level bar and not get dirt on her shoes & enjoy the UFC/MMA short attention span spectacle. Just don't call yourself an MX fan.
TXDirt
10/8/2018 3:30pm
If the right move is deathcross, then sure.
Fourth_Floor
10/8/2018 6:57pm

BMSOBx2 wrote:
Call me a chode then. SX is a bastardization of MX dumbed down for the masses who think hits on social media, more contact & extreme...
Call me a chode then. SX is a bastardization of MX dumbed down for the masses who think hits on social media, more contact & extreme crashes to make it a "show" equates to popularity. That being the case these days I am glad I'm not an "average person". Wear your hat backwards, take your wife to SX where she can sip daquiris from the club level bar and not get dirt on her shoes & enjoy the UFC/MMA short attention span spectacle. Just don't call yourself an MX fan.
Backwards hat and women that are afraid to get dirty?! If you've ever spent any time in Northern Pennsylvania you'd realize how ridiculous that generalization is hahaha.

drt410
10/8/2018 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 7:14pm
philG wrote:
mwr wrote:
Seriously. By that logic, literally everyone but Tomac should be hiding away and trembling with shame. Dry
Nobody else is on Tomacs level but Musquin. Maybe humiliated was the wrong word but hes the 1 guy who can battle Tomac but then certain days he puts 14 seconds on him in 2 laps like Southwick. Hes the #1 guy at KTM training with Aldon so it hurts to keep always getting 2nd. Im a Musquin fan Im just saying being that close and still that far is hard. Guys like Seely, Nicoletti, Peick arent winning a championship, Marvin can but just cant do it right now. Anyways my point was GP riders continue to come over here and they dont dominate US riders over a series so calm down with the us mx sucks talk.

The guy who mentioned 3rd world countries on fairgrounds tracks is accurate too. They have some great tracks and some pretty horrible ones too.
wide open wally
Fantasy
3834th
10/8/2018 7:24pm

BMSOBx2 wrote:
Call me a chode then. SX is a bastardization of MX dumbed down for the masses who think hits on social media, more contact & extreme...
It’s not because of social media you twat. Social media has only become important these past few years. America has the most MXDN wins, has produced the most winningest rider Jeff Ward tied with Great Britain’s Jeff Smith, RC destroyed your goat Stefan Everts, RV destroyed your other goat Cairoli, Roczen owned Heirlings then came to US, and supercross is what MXGP wishes it could immulate. Just look at Assen. Shit track but for the fans.

If you don’t enjoy seeing guys like Stew, RC, Reed, Windham, Rv, Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Musquin put together timing and rhythms that fast and at that speed then how can you call yourself a “true”’ moto fan. Get out of here with that shit. I respect the hell out of MXGP guys, Heirlings and Cairoli are unreal, but respect the game on both ends and quit being a biased pompous ass.
PFitzG38
10/8/2018 7:26pm
You could start to see GP guys in the twilight of their careers coming over to US to extend it.
wide open wally
Fantasy
3834th
10/8/2018 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 7:30pm

BMSOBx2 wrote:
It’s not because of social media. Social media has only become important these past few years. America has the most MXDN wins, has produced the most winningest rider Jeff Ward tied with Great Britain’s Jeff Smith, RC destroyed your goat Stefan Everts, RV destroyed your other goat Cairoli, Roczen owned Heirlings then came to US, and supercross is what MXGP wishes it could immulate. Just look at Assen. Shit track but for the fans.

If you don’t enjoy seeing guys like Stew, RC, Reed, Windham, Rv, Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Musquin put together timing and rhythms that fast and at that speed then how can you call yourself a “true”’ moto fan. Get out of here with that shit. I respect the hell out of MXGP guys, Heirlings and Cairoli are unreal, but respect the game on both ends and quit being a biased pompous ass. And that’s for all you euro haters, if you think sx is a clown show ask one of your euro gods to hit a Stew quad.
make1go
10/8/2018 8:09pm
drt410 wrote:
the cbt strikes again

the level of discourse drops with every post from this idiot...

Post a reply to: Are the likes of Roczen, Musquin & Lawrence making the right move??

The Latest